Moto Guzzi Griso

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by chuk, Jul 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    I’ve never even heard of these till I stumbled across a pic on fartbook of one,something strangely appealing about these depends on the colours,I must be getting old and soft in the head never thought a guzzi would appeal very strange days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I quite liked the look of the Guzzi Stelvio when it came out too :yum

3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    This one.

Griso Black Dx.png

• Like Like x 6
  4. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    That’s the very chappie have watched several videos of it,looks good maybe change if I seen it in the metal but interesting beastie.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    I had one of its relations, Breva 1100 and loved it but the Griso did look amazing in the flesh in certain colours.

6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Mate of mine had one for about four months, said he loved the look of the bike but it was a bit down on the power front; it had to go...

• Like Like x 1
  7. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    The power isn’t really an issue can’t believe I said that (Auld duffer),that may change after a decent test I suppose all ones I’ve seen for sale are down south,that’s if I end up selling current bike which I’m still not 100% sure about got silly offer from bike shop lowball and deffo rubber ear.

8. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    Has anyone got a Moto Guzzi California? It looks appealing and was thinking about getting one. Never ride one before so do not know how the ride is? Any advice or opinions?
    Thank you

9. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    There was one I fancied from the 80’s, 850 Lemans with a fairing.

upload_2020-5-12_7-25-49.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Not ridden one and the current model looks ok, but the original California from a couple of decades or so ago is the business. Love it's classic big cruiser looks, far nicer than it's contemporary Harleys and Jap alternatives. I think the Italian cops used them as the basis for their police bikes. That Moto Guzzi engine is pretty unsophisticated by todays standards but it's virtually indestructible. If I could find one in good nick at a sensible price I'd be sorely tempted.
    There's an article in the latest copy of 'Built' by a bloke who rode his from here down to Italy last winter, in pretty shit weather. He actually got there as well, with only a couple of breakdowns and mild hypothermia! Brave man.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    American cops used Guzzi's in some states MK1 Californian the original and best [I think]

850-t3-california.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    The newer ones has the cruise control and also sports mode and cruising mode etc. The engine that I am thinking of has the 1400cc.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Aye the new 1400 is a peach and has a lot to offer and its shaft drive

Californian 1400.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    In the early 90s a mate had a V50 Monza, at the time I thought it was one of the best bikes I had ridden (granted only limited experience), I loved it.

V50_Monza_1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  15. David Gilding

David Gilding Member

May 25, 2018
    Hampshire
    Had two California's, a 1100i and then an EV. Both great bikes, did lots of touring on them. When we sold the EV we got a modified mk2 Le Mans, loved that too. In 2018 we decided to get another new bike and took a Moto Guzzi V7 for a test, it felt so small ! My wife said she would only go to the pub on it ! So we tried a V9 bobber. It was only slightly better and I didn't like the styling, that's when we looked at Triumphs, and ended up with our T120. I have had to improve the suspension and its a nice bike, but I miss the shaft drive and character of the Guzzi's. Now if only I could keep the Triumph and have a California but we can't afford both !

• Like Like x 2
  16. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    Yes Don its beautiful. I really am looking to get a ride on if after this situation gets under control. I may have to sell my Thunderbird to buy the California 1400.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Samz

Samz Elite Member
    Subscriber

Aug 7, 2016
    York uk
    I’ve had four Guzzi’s in my time, 2 Le Mans, then 2 California’s.
    Current one a 76 T3 Cali. First time I rode the Le mans was a shock to the system for sure after all the Jap stuff I’d had before. It felt so alien and weird. BUT....... once you’ve got yourself into the Guzzi vibe they are fabulous. The 76 Cali a keeper for sure.
    Unfortunately a short test ride will probably put you off them. You have to give them time and become familiar with there quirks! Give them that time and they are so rewarding. Strangely, I found the harder you ride them the better they feel. ;)

7E3B8F8F-776E-450A-A314-8F1C1F8D39CA.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Davvid

Davvid Member

Jun 18, 2018
    NB, Canada
    Thank you Samz. Do you mind elaborating a bit about the ride and the quirks? As I have said I would have to sell my Thunderbird if I am to buy a California 1400. It is not cheap even used compared to the Thunderbird.

19. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Sorry to piss on all you fans of moto guzzi's. Mate of mine bought a Griso only had it six weeks and took it back to the dealers and swapped it for a suziki. Although I did not ride his bike he reckoned it looked great but was a pile of crap to ride. Based on his assessment IMO I would stick with the t'bird.. I'll get me coat

• Like Like x 2
  20. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I read somewhere they have valve problems can't elaborate can't remember too clearly fecking red wine :(:p:joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1