Moto GP trip - September MotorLand, Aragon

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by jezzasnr, Apr 19, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jezzasnr

jezzasnr Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Cornwall
    Have just booked the ferry from Plymouth to Santander, and a cheap hotel for Thurs - Sunday nights
    looking for any pointers regarding tickets for the circuit. Is it worth spending a little more to get a grandstand seat? I don't have a lot of experience, but when i've looked at grandstand tickets previously, they seem to be mostly sat on the straights, and not necesarily the best views of the corners.
    I've got a few days to get myself down to the circuit, so i'm also looking for any suggestions as to what else to see & where else to ride whilst there.

2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Hi Jezzasnr
    I went a couple of years ago, didn’t take the bike though we flew over for a long weekend, staying at the chalet park beside the lake just a few minutes walk from the circuit which was a brilliant place, on the Sunday after the race we had a night out in Alcaniz which only a few miles from the circuit, nice place and the big castle is worth a visit, we were in the old part of town for a few beers but didn’t make it to the new part which I’m told has a lot of good pubs etc.
    We couldn’t find a taxi to take us back to the chalet park which was a bit of a bummer so we ended up walking ,about a mile from the chalet park we decided to have a night cap in this quiet bar/restaurant in the middle of nowhere, it was about 10pm and still warm so we had a drink outside, we noticed Loris capirossi leaving the restaurant and had a wee chat with him which was interesting, then we decided to go inside for a drink and I happened to notice Marquez at the bar settling his bill! he had been through the back having a meal with his brother and some of the pit crew so I went over to congratulate him on the win and obviously get some photos he couldn’t have been nicer.
    I’m sure you will have a great time as we passed some fantastic looking roads on the way, we were in one of the c stands which wasn’t bad, it’s not the best circuit for seeing a lot of the track but there are the big screens which are great and if it’s your first GP abroad you’ll have a ball!, I’ve been to worse circuits for viewing, Le mans comes to mind where we were we sitting we saw them for about 20 seconds! check out pole position travel and big rock travel you will find out info about all the various tracks

3. jezzasnr

Sep 22, 2015
    Cornwall
    Thanks Dougie! All good advice. I've just booked grandstand tickets.
    Have also booked accommodation in Sort for the journey down through the Pyrenees.
    I'm probably not going to much more so that i can just see where i am & find accommodation as i go.
    I can't wait!

4. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Can only echo what's been said about the N260. It is superb as are most of the roads in the Pyrenees. Have a look at Google Maps and if you can find a squiggly line it's generally a great road. My wife and me were at the Motogp in Barcelona in June It's our second time in recent years that we've travelled through the Pyrenees and I rate the roads as highly as anywhere in Europe. I much prefer them to the Alps and early in the year they are deserted. Hope you have a great trip.

5. jezzasnr

Sep 22, 2015
    Cornwall
    #5 jezzasnr, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    I'm back!
    All i have to say is wow..
    Due to work & personal circumstances i was left with next to no time to plan other than chucking anything i thought i might need into my bags, and heading off towards Plymouth on the Sunday. I'd not seen SmilingJack & Old Git's posts, but more by luck than judgement, i managed to take in most of what you mentioned. Thanks gents.
    Day one, off the ferry and headed off towards Jaca. what a lovely place.Found a great campsite just a couple of kms south of the town.
    The next morning I set out for Sort via Broto and another place whose name escapes me for now!
    To be honest, from what i saw, you can't really go wrong. All of the roads i got to ride were stunning, great surface, and for the most part pretty empty.
    The following morning I set out for Huesca, visiting the Ski resort of Port de la Bonaigua. no surprise, stunning...
    I camped for the night to the NE of Huesca, and then on to Xerta the following day.
    Xerta was a nice little place, and great, cheap hostel.
    From here it was about an hour or so through the hills to Motorland Aragon.
    Really enjoyed the racing, just in awe of what they do. I was pleased I'd spent a little more and got Grandstand tickets, and the helmet park was well worth the money to be rid of my kit for the day.
    I decided that on the Monday i would have a longish day (for me!) and get back up to the Atlantic Coast. Another great camp site in Zarautz, lazy couple of days. Food, Wine, Beach, Sea, and then a shortish blast back to Santander on the Wednesday afternoon.
    I loved Spain! the scenery, the roads, the food, drink, the kindness off strangers.
    Bike was faultless, the Kreiga bags were great, and the camping gear made for cosy nights, not that it was cold!
    There's a few pics here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kdlh5zw33kndfx9/AADqRJxnobLkVbwzooS0wKPka?dl=0

No question, if you've ever fancied it, just go!

• Like Like x 4
  6. Creaky

Creaky Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Great pics. Thanks for posting. Was your tent in those kriega bags as well?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Glad you had a great time mate,you're really lucky being so close to the ferrys, bike trip and moto gp it doesn't get any better than that ;) no doubt you will be hooked now :):cool::)

• Like Like x 1
  8. old git

old git Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Glad your trip went well, I can't wait to go back to Spain. Over the years we've seen a fair bit of Europe but there's lots of Spain that we have still to see. 4 MotoGP rounds scattered over the year is a further incentive.

• Like Like x 2
  9. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Stayed in Broto for a couple of days in June,good base to explore from.
    Can only echo everybody else's comments on Spain,stunning

10. jezzasnr

Sep 22, 2015
    Cornwall
    Creaky, Yes, tent was in the bags.
    I had 4 bags.
    1 x 30 ltrs - Tent and assorted other bits, and then dirty clothes as the trip went on.
    2 x 20 ltrs - One with Clean Clothes, one with sleep kit. Sleeping bag, Sleep mat, pillow & other camping bits & pieces.
    1 x 10 ltrs. - Day to day stuff.
    Initially i had the 30 ltr pack as the base, with the 20 ltrs either side & the 10 ltr pack on the tank.
    The adhesive that secured the velcro patch to the tank let go over the course of the trip, so moved it to the rear.
    I'll be looking at a better way of securing the tank pack.
    Whilst i'm sure the ferry isn't the cheapest way of getting there, I would definitely use it again. It's only an hour from home and gets me straight into warm weather & great riding.
    I'll be looking out for cheap deals to Roscoff to explore Brittany for a few days.
    Something I didn't mention in the first post was using the toll roads. On the days when i wanted to cover a few more miles, i found them quick & quiet, the only pain being having to take gloves off to fish around for cash / cards. I got a little paranoid about holding things up once through the gate to put gloves back on, but i'm sure this was only an issue for me!