Moto GP There could/will be spoilers!

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Dougie D, Apr 10, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Another excellent ride by Marc giving him his 7th world title.

He’s now riding with his head instead of the bin it or win it type of riding he used to be renowned for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    #182 Tiglet, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Honda built a motogp bike to Danny Pedrosa’s specific requirements for a few seasons and he never won a world championship.
    Along came M.M and on the Pedrosa bike Marquez won his first motogp world championship at his first attempt :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I met him in person a few years ago..when there where no cameras about and he and his brother Alex couldn't have been nicer, absolutely no airs and graces it was late at night after the race at Aragon and they had just finished their meal with all the pit crew in a quiet pub in the middle of nowhere and Marc was up at the bar paying the bill,i went over and shook his hand and congratulated him on his win and got a treasured photo with them both, he always seems happy on screen and never complains about the bike,even although the Honda is probably the hardest bike to ride according to everyone in the know,it will be really interesting to see how Lorenzo gets on as his team mate next year..especially once Lorenzo masters the Honda

• Like Like x 6
  4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Have to say I have always been a Rossi fan, got the tshirt, cap etc, and enjoyed many of his duels over the years whether good or bad. I still am a massive fan, always disliked Marquez, used to say he would be the one who killed himself or someone else. I always thought Rossi was the real thing, he seemed to touch gold wherever he was, I very stupidly thought he would make the Duke of a few years ago a winner. I told everyone he could ride a shopping trolley and win, if Stoner could ride it and win titles so could he. Alas it was not to be, the Duke of years ago was beyond even him and his team and Stoner had walked away knowing his days were numbered there. Vale had so many titles just waiting for him, he gave one away to Nicky and wasted 2 years at Ducati. He is far from a spent force, Jeez at his age he can till show a thing or two to the young guys,BUTas much as it hurts to say it, Marquez is the most complete champion ever on a very inferior mororcycle and that Duke is right now streets ahead of the rest of the grid. SPIT. All I hope is he never gets his hands on that Ducati coz if he does you can forget records....tho I think you can anyway. He is a total GOD, the real GOAT.
    Still hate him tho, lol

5. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    A lot of us dislike him because of the way his win-or-crash attitude spoilt the racing a few years ago. True it made things unpredictable and in some ways interesting but he seemed to be out to ruin things on purpose sometimes. This is nothing new of course - the famous Senna/Prost crash at Suzuka in '89 springs to mind.

He is a truly great rider but likeability does not necessarily come with greatness.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    A lot of us dislike him because of the way his win-or-crash attitude spoilt the racing a few years ago. True it made things unpredictable and in some ways interesting but he seemed to be out to ruin things on purpose sometimes. This is nothing new of course - the famous Senna/Prost crash at Suzuka in '89 springs to mind.

He is a truly great rider but likeability does not necessarily come with greatness.

7. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I have to disagree with you Trev,his win it or bin it mentality is exactly what makes watching him race exciting, although he has calmed down in the last few years if there is a slight chance for the win he will go for it, similar to Schwantz back in the day when he was racing against Rainey..although Schwantz tended to bin it more often that win it,but like Marc he was really exciting to watch..the day when racers are told not to try an overtake because it's a wee bit risky and they might crash is the day I'll stop watching racing

8. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Agree with most of that Dougie, but I remember how he was deliberately antagonising other riders during the races at the back end of 2016 which spoiled it for me. That was not racing. Remember Schumi trying to take out Hill to prevent him winning the championship in 1994? Lots of people went off Michael for the same reason, more again when he tried to stop Villeneuve in 1997 and was stripped of his second place in the championship. You definitely need characters in racing but when it goes beyond racing people are bound to start grumbling and, in some cases, hating.

Does not stop me admiring their abilities though which speak for themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    when you say "Other Riders" I take it you mean Rossi? if not what other riders has he antagonised? you need to have watched the whole season..not just the races, but free practice, Qualifying and pre and post race conferences to get the full story, i put the blame Rossi 80% Marquez 20% and that's being generous to Rossi, and as for him punting Marquez off the track that was way out of line and he should have received an instant black flag and and a ban for the rest of the season,but because he brings a lot of money in for Dorna he got off very lightly..but unfortunatley the "Rossettes" think he was hard done by :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Great to see the Yamaha get a win after 25 races,that should give Vinales a much needed boost:) unlucky for Marquez getting hit from behind from Zarco (who crashed),could have been a lot worse for Marc than just a broken seat.. Shame Lorenzo is not fit to race yet:(
    Moto 3 was brilliant:cool: Moto 2 was pretty good too

11. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Anyone who can constantly place anywhere in the top 6 of the MotoGP isn’t just making up the numbers.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    Haters gonna hate

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I think hate is the wrong word. The talent is beyond question. The question mark is about sportsmanship. I think with maturity he is steadily putting that to bed.

Both of them!

• Like Like x 1
  14. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Rossi is my all time hero :cool:
    But Marques is even better :)
    I’m ok with that and I’m full of admiration/jealousy for all of the riders on the grid :p

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    It’s a pity that people can’t believe that Rossi’s time as the number one motogp rider is over.

There have been 28 motogp races since Rossi won a race, not including this seasons wash out at Silverstone.

Whether you like it or not Rossi’s time as the rider to beat is over.

16. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Rossi may not be number 1, but where was his overall finish last year??? 5th iirc... several 2nd placings along the way. Ffs, no ones saying Rossi is head honcho, but he’s still pretty hot... why would he not race? It be a boring race series if Marquez was the only racer?

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    This years motogp race series was anything but boring with 4 other race winners besides Marquez :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    #199 DANSOME, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Dude, he finished this season 3rd overall on a underperforming bike. Although I don't believe Rossi will win another MotoGP race (MotoE maybe?) I think it would be madness to kick Rossi out of the grid just because he's too out of fashion to hang around Marc Marquez. In my opinion, as long as he outperforms Karel Abraham he should have a spot in MotoGP :p

• Like Like x 3
  19. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Did I mention Rossi should be kicked out of the grid or that he’s out of fashion????.
    You only have to look at all the yella in the stands at motogp races.

• Agree Agree x 1