Mot And Indicators

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by topbanana0, Mar 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    image.jpeg Just a quick bit of info, for those about to get an MOT.
    Got my speed triple mot today, and the mot tester almost didn't pass the bike.
    Because the rear indicators could have been to close together, new legislation (EU again) stipulates

"Mandatory direction indicators must have minimum separation distances between the illuminating surfaces of: solo motorcycles – 240mm at the front and 180mm at the rear"

So as you can see by the pic, with my indicators fitted to my Evotec tail tidy the gap is about 120mm
    But reading a bit more into the mot 'guide lines' you have this.

"There is no requirement to measure the separation distance and they should only be rejected if the separation distance is obviously incorrect."

So they have gone to the trouble (and cost) of give detail legislation, but you can just have a visual inspection. So your bike will or won't pass, depending on how good your tester is at guessing what 180mm looks like lol.

4.4.3 Compliance with requirements
    You must inspect all direction indicators fitted.

Direction indicators must emit an amber light, except motorcycles first used before 1 September 1965 can have white front indicators and red rear indicators.

Switch on the direction indicators and operate all the other lamps in turn to see if the direction indicators are adversely affected.

Some motorcycles have direction indicators combined with the position lamps. In these cases the position lamp doesn’t have to switch off when the relevant direction indicator is switched on.

The precise position of direction indicators aren’t part of this inspection, but they must be on each side of the longitudinal axis of a solo machine. If a side car is attached, the indicators must be on opposite sides of the combination.

Mandatory direction indicators must have minimum separation distances between the illuminating surfaces of:

• solo motorcycles – 240mm at the front and 180mm at the rear
    • motorcycle combinations – 400mm at both front and rear
    There is no requirement to measure the separation distance and they should only be rejected if the separation distance is obviously incorrect.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Davie_M

Davie_M Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Hamilton
    yours are the same as mine it passed in march
    my harley has the three in one ie tail brake and indcator lights are the one unit might be interesting to see if it can pass

my advice would be a more motor bike friendly mot man

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Mine are 230mm at the rear with an Evotech tail tidy but with standard indicators and stems

4. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    My MOT man said the rear light/indicator unit on mt MT01 was now illegal (unless it was built from Yamaha that way) but passed it anyway so it's just a load of bollocks from the EU

5. Davie_M

Davie_M Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Hamilton
    Thats all it is is bollocks

• Like Like x 1
  6. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    My mate has the all in one brake/indicator on his speed triple

7. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    We should leave Europe and stop putting up with bollocks ...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Never Mind The Bollocks....

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    All the MOT rules are a bit odd, my old DRZ would have failed a daylight mot because it had a brake light.
    The tester told me to tape over it and it passed. Strange but true

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    So muc
    We could start a thread on that subject, oh wait on :worried:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Lights on vehicles have become more fashion than function recently, just look at the moving indicators on Audi etc. Personally I like a bit more separation between the indicator and the brake light, simply because the indicators can get lost from view a bit when the brake is on. Incorporating an indicator in the same shell as a headlamp for example is daft as well as dangerous. How are you expected to see a 21w indicator lamp clearly right beside a 55w dipped headlight? (The smart ass answer is it’s flashing, I know, but, it’s not ideal). Same with a small round indicator surrounded by the tail/brake lamp on a Passat (I think) feckin invisible even if you’ve got good eyesight.

Rant over:worried:

• Like Like x 4
  12. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    What about a bike that as standard have their indicators and rear lamps in one cluster. I.e Pan European and some Scooters?

13. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    They obviously comply with the Construction and use (lighting) regulations or else they wouldn’t have been able to sell them for road use.

14. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Has anyone looked at the new BMW S1000 the rear light is part of the indicators