Mixing Different Coolant

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by BonnieRed, May 29, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BonnieRed

BonnieRed Member

Sep 10, 2019
    British Columbia
    A few days ago I went to a Triumph dealership and wanted to buy some coolant for my 2018 Speedmaster and they sold me a bottle of Polaris Anti-freeze 50/50 extended life for 2 and 4 stroke engines. I tried to tell them that my owners manual says to use Triumph HD4X HOAT. They insisted that the Polaris was fine and to use it to top up the coolant reservoir level. I bought and got home, and was going to add it...but thought I would phone Vancouver Triumph to get a more authorized ( long time dealer of Triumph) dealerships take on the coolant type etc. The service tech on the phone told me not to use it, and to only use Triumph HD4X, and he would ship a bottle to me. I did not put the Polaris coolant in my bike and went back to the dealer I bought it from and demanded a refund, they still insisted that it was ok to use it. I was not impressed. I am currently waiting to see exactly what kind the Vancouver dealership sends me.

Has anyone else had coolant confusion? And does it hurt to run the bike with the coolant (stone cold) at level reading Minimum level?

I am a little worried that I should not run it until I top it up. Also the bike as not leaked any coolant and not sure why it would show Min level if it was properly serviced at the last scheduled 10K service.

2. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Not all Anti-freeze is compatible with modern motorcycles with alloy engines, any motorcycle specific Anti-freeze will suffice and there is absolutely no need to worry about mixing different makes. Do not use Anti-freeze designed for cars unless it is for use in all alloy engines. Manufacturers often specify a particular brand of oil and Anti-freeze, however the products are only branded with the makers logo eg Triumph, Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda etc etc, they are produced by independent companies, often the same manufacturer makes the product for multiple manufacturers but brand it with the motorcycle manufacturers logo. The same is true for all manner of different products be it food to paint. Don't get sucked into the "only our product is suitable" line.