Missing Person

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by joe mc donald, Dec 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #21 Sandi T, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Thanks, Ducky. I'm feeling better today than I did the past couple of days. Tomorrow I'll be out on my bike unless I'm on my death bed, though. I organized a women's ride for tomorrow morning--a ride which we've not done in over a year. The group started out with nine potential riders but I think it'll wind up being five of us. Small but mighty. :blush:

I think you "blokes on the forum" are a definitely a decent lot, very easy going, and quite supportive. And then there's that sense of humor. ;) I'm not quite sure how much of it is attributable to the UK sense of humor which I enjoy and that is somewhat (well, maybe a lot) different than what I'm used to in the US.

As I think about the men and women I know and have known as family, friends, neighbors, colleagues, and acquaintances, I'd agree with you, Ducky, that overall women are more "sensitive" than men, more serious, and take things more personally--and therefore find them less humorous. Vast generalization but a generalization nonetheless. My observations, however, are all of women in the US. I only know one woman from the UK (England) and she takes herself WAY too seriously and thinks she's far more funny than she is. But that is an observation based on an N of 1. However, I love her English hubby to pieces. He's very easy-going and quite funny. I'm sure that helps his marriage. :p

A few evenings ago I went set up a happy hour get-together with two girlfriends that I frequently rode with. Now they're busy with grandchildren and other things and ride far less than they used to. After the l-o-n-g portion of the conversation about grandkids (which I don't have) it turned to knitting and sewing (which I don't and will never do) I realized that my decision to get this particular threesome together was my own fault and probably not the wisest decision. Live and learn.:rolleyes:

Hmmm, maybe it's just more fun to hang out with guys?! Drinking, laughing, riding motorcycles. What's not to like? :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dozers Dad
    I was just mucking around when I said Bloody Brexit. Like you said I don't go there not for any reason other than really not that interested.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sandi T
    Hope you are well again. Sandi T never lose your friends sometime we need to bend a little to see the other's point of view and interests. Somehow I think there is not much difference in all of us. Just we all share the same passion and talk the same lingo. Women in general get the rough deal most of the time with homes jobs children. We men come home and flop down in a chair and think every one should cater for us. This I speak from experience. You know I don't know what I am blethering on about here.
    Regards & God Bless.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #24 Sandi T, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    I do know, Joe. And you are not blethering. You are right. Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Duckadildundee.
    You this is just said lightly. The ladies that walk by our sides are great. And the love thing funny old thing you can't see it you can't touch it or you can't smell or taste it. But when it's gone you'll know.
    Kind Regards
    Joe

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Kinda what I was thinking. :)

I'd be out more too, but life gets in the way. Fill waiting time with tinterpipe time!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    You’d need a proper sense of humour to pay that for a book :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi Sandi pleased you are feeling better. Not going to comment on the men vs women debate, but it would be interesting in what your lady rider friends think? Would they consider joining the forum to share their views?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    All send far too familiar Ducky, you have my sympathy.

Dave

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That and winning the lottery, Yorkshireman! :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #31 Sandi T, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Thank you for the kind comments about my fugly cold, Wessa. I can and will certainly ask my women rider friends, though not a one among them rides a Triumph. Not that that really matters to the topic. Even if they aren't up for getting on the forum, I think I'll bring this topic up this morning on our annual women's ride. We can chat about it over breakfast. Hopefully laugh about it! ;) :joy: I'll get their views and report back. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    That's a plan.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I brought up the topic of men's vs. women's sense of humor on our annual women's ride this morning. There were only four of us total that showed up. Aargh. There were nine originally slated to ride (including me) but for five of them there were other things that took priority on this day (knitting, home improvement project, nursing a hangover, the list continues). There aren't very many things for me that take priority over a ride and that seems to be another area in which I am, as @Duckadiledundee said, "an exception to the general rule of thumb". :rolleyes: And these were all women that have encouraged me and reminded me time and again to set up another women's ride! But I digress. This paragraph should probably be on the Rant of the Day thread. :pensive:

The upshot is that I got opinions from the three who did show up on how men's and women's sense of humor differ. The consensus seemed to be that a lot of men's humor topics revolves around "their body parts" and "bathroom humor" while women's topics have to do with "makeup and clothes and shopping". Hmmm. I can see the former (though I don't think men's humor topics are quite that restricted!) I don't really get their view on women's humor. Interestingly they had a difficult time being able to articulate how men's and women's sense of humor is different. When I asked a couple of more leading and less open-ended questions, some points came up that were along the lines of what I said in a previous post in this thread--that the differences in our senses of humor may be related to women being more sensitive, more serious, and taking things personally. One of the women also said that she thinks that women often overanalyze a funny comment or joke or read into it then turn it into something that wasn't intended. She also commented that women hang onto those "spins" and that men, conversely, seem to enjoy a laugh, laugh it off, and move on. Now I'm curious and will probably ask other women friends for their opinions and observations on this subject.

@Wessa, sorry, none of these women were interested in joining the forum. I tried! They don't know what they're missing! :D :heart: I'll be on the lookout for recruits, though. :)

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    What a great response @Sandi T. , it is interesting on the diverse views shared. It will be good to get some of your friends on the forum.. go for it

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks, Wessa. At this point I'd just like to find a few reliable women riding buddies! Then perhaps I can get some of them on the forum. I'm always recruiting! ;) Just not always successfully.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I did try, Ducky, I did. Sigh..... :pensive:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Not rocket science, and no harder than vehicle wiring, in fact maybe easier.