Mirror Options (2002 955i)

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by DanielB, Apr 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Morning all, I hope people are well in these surreal circumstances we find ourselves in.

I turn to my biker friends for help, advice, opinion and education....I have kind of asked (and seen) similar questions already, but i am gradually honing things down, but still need help....

Mirrors....for my 2002 955i (in blue :))...

The fitted bug like mirrors don't look great, and also don't allow a great view (other then my beautiful and perfect elbows), so I got some extenders. I could see behind me better...but the bike started to look a bit odd.

Then, some a-hole smashed a mirror...and so now I am returning to the question of "what mirrors to get".

I am curious to know what others have.

The thing is, there are many "nice" mirrors out there - whether bar end or stem, however I often find that the 'fashion' is for itsy-bitsy-teeny-weany mirrors.

Now, call me a male chauvinist 44 year old sexually frustrated married man with children; but to my mind itsy-bitsy-teeny-weany should be the reserve of bikinis. Not mirrors!

So, I am looking for either bar end mirrors - but bigger than 3" diameter (or other shape), or stem mirrors that look ok, have the "reach" to get towards or past my elbows...and also aren't ugly or tiny.

An example is in this link - I know it is a different bike...but
    They are bar end.
    Look good.
    Good size.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/motoring/gallery/triumph-street-triple-rs-10680630

Any suggestions!?

Thanks!

2. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    Bar end mirrors on a 955i ???? :confused:

3. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Not necessarily...please, please tell me/show me my options! :worried:

4. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I can't offer any practical experience but, on a bike like yours, I'd have thought a fairing mounted mirror would look - and work - best.

Something like this might work and looks to be an inexpensive option :-

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/bike-it-trojan-mirrors-241277/

There are others on the same site.

God luck!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    I can't imagine that any fairing mounted mirrors are going to give a wider view than the standard ones which look well designed if not maybe the best looking.
    I've never ridden a bike with bar end mirrors but I would have thought they were a pain in the arse with your rearward view constantly moving around with every movement of the bars.

6. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    thanks chaps...I agree...I don't think fairing mounted will help, as the fairing is even narrower than the bar mounted mirrors...

I think I am happy to stick with bar mounted (rather than bar end)....but looking for inspiration!

7. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    I am going to have a rant...

you know what's really blooming annoying...websites that:

a) only have one image of the mirrors...and nothing to scale it against so it's just on a white background.
    2) No dimensions at all
    c) selling the blooming things individually! So what you actually want is twice the price!!

FFS!!

Rant over....

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Ok...so far on this journey...I await these to turn up in the post...

Bike-It Universal Black Mirrors https://g.co/kgs/RngVMU

I'll feedback....

• Like Like x 2
  9. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    #9 DanielB, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Spot the difference...

Old, sticky out round mirrors?
    or
    New, shorter angular ones?

IMG_20200416_134234.jpg

IMG_20200416_133733.jpg

IMG_20200416_133720.jpg

IMG_20200416_134330.jpg

IMG_20200416_133720.jpg

IMG_20200416_134258.jpg

IMG_20200416_134253.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    I really like the new shorter stemmed, 'angular' mirrors...

Very happy :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Thanks. I really like them, from demon tweaks. Good price etc. Seem like a good quality, for the price (£25 delivered).

They are solid and have been out - for milk and bread - and there was no shake or wobble on them. The reach isn't quite as much as I hoped, but I think they are an acceptable compromise for view and movement of my head. Part of me that making a dedicated movement of the head is a deliberate and conscious action and therefore maybe likely to register more? No expert...maybe I'm just trying to justify...but I'm going with it.

Time will tell for durability.

Very happy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Inexpensive GX Parts Unlimited mirrors. Stable and stout. Nicely low. Decent view, at least when I care what's behind me.

IMG_2585.jpg

• Like Like x 3