Minor glitch and first thoughts

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by ChrisT70, Sep 19, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ChrisT70

ChrisT70 Active Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    Mine cut out and died totally tonight coasting down through gears up to some traffic lights. Restarted immediately but I had already read of others having the same issue. Ecu glitch perhaps?

Ride is very firm on Sheffields crap potholed roads, I'll probably try the comfort settings in the handbook.

The fuelling is a bit wooly and fluffy low down but cleans up and pulls well towards 4k.

You get the odd lovely pop and bang on the over run when slowing, this thing would be fabulous with decent pipes.

Not yet had time to remove any panels or trim for a nosey but it looks really well made and finished. Fasteners etc look as though they won't corrode away at first sign of damp!

Anyone else comment on glitch?

2. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Surrey
    I've done just over 1200 miles on mine without a problem and don't recognise the poor fuelling, maybe worth getting your dealer to check the correct map is installed?
    I agree the finish is pretty good too and fitted the V&H slip on's which I think sound fantastic, I reckon they have some internal wadding which burns away as they're definitely getting throatier.

3. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    I had the same problem with my Thruxton R cutting out on a couple of occasions when slowing down. My dealer reset the ECU at the first 500 mile service and have never seen the problem again. Runs like a dream now having done 1100 miles.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ChrisT70

ChrisT70 Active Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    Spoke to dealer and although not aware of this issue as such they will reset it and check at the first service.

5. ChrisT70

ChrisT70 Active Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    Did you buy the US spec exhaust or the EU version? Thinking I would probably get the US one with removable baffles

6. Giles

Giles Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Surrey
    I bought the EU CE marked ones, they are plenty loud enough in my opinion and as I use the bike for touring I needed the CE mark. Last year whilst in Germany two of my mates got on the spot fines for not having approved exhausts.....

7. ChrisT70

ChrisT70 Active Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    suprised at getting fined! no plans for touring so loud isnt an issue for me if not ce marked. trouble at the moment is physically getting to hear one of these systems, would love to hear the US spec V+H rather than on you tube

8. Vansflyer

Vansflyer Member

Jul 23, 2016
    In the Air
    I am in North Brum and you are welcome to come and have a listen to my pipes, they sound fab! Lovely pops on over-run and loud enough to wake people up.
    Do the cops really go hunting around for CE marks now... How sad...

• Like Like x 1
  9. ChrisT70

ChrisT70 Active Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    Are yours the EU or US ones?

10. Vansflyer

Vansflyer Member

Jul 23, 2016
    In the Air
    US with baffles out :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I used to have a Laverda Montjuic whose exhaust would set off car alarms!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:p:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ChrisT70

ChrisT70 Active Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    My ducati would part traffic like the red Sea. Fabulous sounds.

13. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Mine pisses off littlleade! It worked then!!:p

• Like Like x 1
  14. ChrisT70

ChrisT70 Active Member

Jun 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    Did 220m yesterday with a full day out. The seat is "very" firm after 4+ hours in the saddle even with breaks.
    Almost ready for the 500m service hopefully this next week. Bike starting to loosen up a little but did cut out once more on coasting down through gears to lights.
    Fabulous handling, need to remember to keep my toes on pegs rather than middle of boot as I've had my toes down a couple of times in bends

15. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    Hi Chris
    When I had my first service, the dealers had just had an update through on the maping, I have not had a problem with cutting out, don't know if this up date was due to issues with cutting out. But an R9T was certainly on the recieving end and I was two up.:D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Peter May

Peter May New Member

Mar 26, 2018
    Chorley
    I think I've just suffered the same issue as you, after about a 15 mile ride, i went through some traffic and sat at a set of lights for a few minutes, it then started playing up a bit until it eventually stalled and restarted with a massive backfire (oops sorry nice couple eating chips). I let it cool down and it seemed to then be ok, but pulling from low rpm it seemed to miss a beat......not missing any power higher up??

17. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Defo an ECU re-map recall, should be carried out by dealer foc. Has anyone noticed fuel consumption worse since re map?

18. Pottsy

Pottsy Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Plymouth, UK
    I have a recall on mine but as yet not taken it in, on tick over its supposed to stall when throttle is blipped, I have not had any problem but will get it checked anyway then will watch fuel consumption. It only takes about 15 mins.
    Also had a rider at our dealership saying he had arking on spark plug caps, which is a warranty issue apparently. ? Anyone else had this ?

19. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    I didn't have the stalling issue or arc issue either, but they've been addressed under warranty anyway

20. Stevie d

Stevie d New Member

Nov 11, 2017
    Bury st edmunds
    Hi Chris mine did the same last Sunday but shut down completely in to lings of Watton new remap done now spot on as for the sound iv got v& h pipes straight through decat removed sounds awesome pop bangs on over run sounds like my 1963 triumph ,my first bike was a triumph and so will be my last one fly the flag

• Like Like x 1