"minimum Oil Level" Transfer

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by Chris Curran, Jun 18, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris Curran

Chris Curran New Member

May 30, 2020
    Devon
    Afternoon all i have repainted the oil tank on my 3ta and was pondering the correct position of the minimum oil level transfer, no indication of one previously fitted rough idea anyone?

Thanks Chris

2. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    You could probably work something out, Chris. Find out what the factory recommended oil capacity (was) is. Bung the outlets of your oil tank up; pour the recommended amount minus, say 10 - 15% by volume, into your oil tank; hold the tank upright & shine a light down into it; gauge roughly where the level of the top of the oil is in the tank and slap the decal on the outside at that level!

I doubt that there's a need to be very scientific about the actual minimum level - they take 5 pints so I'd guess you'll want to be topping up at or before it's a pint down. Oil sitting in the tank when you're running is doing nothing active other than cooling off before the next pass through!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    |looks like it'll be about half way down. It's a Tiger 90, I know, but they're fundamentally the same.

[​IMG]

Or a third of the way down, perhaps?

[​IMG]

@darkman will know!

4. Chris Curran

Chris Curran New Member

May 30, 2020
    Devon
    Yrs thanks for that Adie a good suggestion i will try it over the weekend.
    Regards Chris

5. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Middle and middle just like the red n white one above is about correct, all of my bikes are a little different just as they were from new :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chris Curran

Chris Curran New Member

May 30, 2020
    Devon
    Thanks chaps middle it is, regards Chris