Michelin Pilot Street

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by BoredFish, May 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BoredFish

BoredFish Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Italian in Ireland
    Running ContiRoadAttack3, which are more than adequate for my Bonneville SE 2011 and relaxed riding style , I got the front tyre damaged.

Looking for a quick replacement, and since the Conti 110/70 to match was not available from my online supplier(s), I got a Michelin Pilot Street (half the the price of Conti... very welcome in this period). It's made in Thailand instead of Germany and it is an R (not ZR) so lower specs (H=max 210km/h, 54=max 212Kg load), which anyway, seemed plenty to me since as said I don't ride aggressively.

Now after installation all is good, except I started reading the various reviews/descriptions (including Michelin's Pilot Street page) and they ALL say "designed for small engines" (150/250CC) which is obviously not the case with a Bonneville. Other than that this radial tyre has mostly positive reviews.

Do you think this was a serious mistake, am I at risk etc?

2. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I think you may find you are at risk of invalidating your insurance if the tyre rating isn't to the manufacturers recommendation.

Just because you only ride steady and don't exceed certain speeds does not allow you to fit below spec. parts.

3. BoredFish

BoredFish Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Italian in Ireland
    The Michelin are not below specs so insurance is not an issue. In fact, the stock Bonneville SE 2011 came with front Metzeler ME Z 4 110/70 R17 54H, same specs as the Michelin. (I replaced the Metz with Conti later, which are over-specced).
    My concern, hence the question, is that it says everywhere that these Michelin Pilot Street are designed specifically for small-engine bikes (whatever that means).

4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Your issue is a mix of load rating and speed and somewhat marginal on both. Two up with lots of hard braking in warm weather........think of the weight transfer onto that tyre.
    However, I would not be too twitchy given what you have said but it does seem a false economy all the same. The Pilot Activ is the correct choice for an SE from Michelin’s range.

5. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    The load rating seems too low for your bike. One thing i never do is skimp on tyres. It is a false economy to fit cheaper tyres. I always fit the best tyres that are on the market, money doesn't come into it. Even when monies tight Better safe than sorry down the road. If you have a PayPal account you can get PayPal credit. Over 6 months with 4 months interest free.

6. BoredFish

BoredFish Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Italian in Ireland
    Sorry I made myself unclear because I mentioned the Contis which were installed after the bike purchase into the equation. Please forget the overspecced Conti.

The Bonnie SE 2011 came from the factory with front tyre Metzler 110/70 R17 54 H (= max 210km/h, max 212Kg load).
    I now have at the front a new Michelin Street Pilot "110/70 R17 54 H", so, identical specs, which is the reason why I bought them with confidence. (They were also on offer but that's incidental, I wouldn't of course put myself at risk to save some money).

What bugs me is that they say everywhere that they're meant for smaller bikes --- so I wonder why and if it is safe to ride.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    My opinion, for what it's with mate, is that if that is the factory recommended spec tyre then it absolutely is safe to ride. The whys and wherefores are for people far geekier than me I'm afraid ;);)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    @BoredFish Yes I think you unintentionally wrong footed us with the conti comment. As the numbers now add up to the manufacturers intention then crack on.
    Just out of curiosity I would have to read further to clarify the point you say about smaller bikes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #9 Eldon, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    Did i say I'd be curious or you should be :joy:

One clue @BoredFish may be that the tyre comes in lots of sizes in the 14" diameter range. My son used to have a Vespa zip (50cc) and pretty sure there is a size of this for this bike:rolleyes::joy:.
    Maybe this has led others to associate the tyre size to an engine cc range.

For what its worth, If the tyre spec. as you have already confirmed is to manufacturers specification then I'd carry on without concern.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. In my own world

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    Had a search via the web and i what i can see is that they for commuter and lower CC bikes. For peace of mind, i would contact Michelin before using them. Please be careful in the meantime

• Like Like x 1
  11. BoredFish

BoredFish Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Italian in Ireland
    [​IMG]
    Exactly... this is what the website says... small-engines, city use etc. So the various reviews eg Revzilla on Youtube etc.

Yet they are 110/70 R17 54 H just like a stock Bonneville.

This is not a new model. I believe (hope) that in the beginning they were offered in small sizes, for smaller bikes, then they (apparently, since I am still looking up) made new (larger) sizes, so they're good for any situation.

Apart from this they have wonderful reviews and a competitive price.
    Anyway even if it's safe, it's confusing and I regret my purchase.

12. BoredFish

BoredFish Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Italian in Ireland
    Umpf sorry the pic above is for the bias ply, the one below is for radial (the one I got).
    Still the small size engines in the description though.

[​IMG]

13. In my own world

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    Well, it does say small capacity and up. Have a peek at this
    It does look there for the 250 to 400cc range

14. BoredFish

BoredFish Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Italian in Ireland
    Yeah I saw that, but it's an old video... Also if you look at the comments there are people with big bikes (BMW R1100RT, Yamaha TDM900... ) saying they like the tyres, don't seem concerned at all. Maybe I over worry, a 54H is a 54H after all...
    Just got a reply from Michelin to my inquiry, they've opened "a case" and will take 4-5 days.

15. BoredFish

BoredFish Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Italian in Ireland
    In case anyone is interested, here's the reply from Michelin:

Thank you for your interest in using our tires. Based on the information provided we do not have your motorcycle listed in our system. This would indicate that since we do not have your motorcycle listed we do not manufacture any tires we would recommend using for your application.

So Michelin do not make any tyre fit for a Triumph 865CC cast wheels which is nonsense to me. Also because now they also make the Pilot Street radials in 160 and 180 W (270Km/h), wouldn't these be more than ok with big bikes!

16. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    #16 freck, Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    I really don’t think you’ve got anything to worry about Boredfish. The tyre is the correct speed and weight rating for your bike so you’ll be fine.
    The reply from Michelin seems to me like they just don’t have your bike model on their database so are covering their arses by saying that they don’t make a tyre for it.
    They can’t even spell tyre correctly FFS :p

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. BoredFish

BoredFish Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Italian in Ireland
    eh yes.. I emailed Michelin USA since Michelin UK do not have a contact us page :grinning:
    Anyway I am at 200 miles on it so should be broken in .... no issues so far, including today in rain (sadly this ain't the UK...)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar