Michelin Pilot Road 3's?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Hutchism, Aug 7, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hutchism

Hutchism Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Just noticed that my rear tyre is looking extremely low now. Is a new bike to me so at the moment its running the tyres which came with: BT020R's.

My humble opinion is that these tyres were once great for sports/touring, but now they're probably a bit long in the tooth in comparison to some of the more current alternatives out there. Have heard great things about the Michelin Pilot Road 3's. Anyone got any other good alternatives to throw into the mix. Am after a good all weather tyre, with good grip and longevity. Looking at the tread pattern on the PR3's I can imagine them being bloody marvellous in the wet! :)

My reckoning is that if it grips well, it's more likely to last. Where my BT020R are spinning up quite readily in the wet and that lack of traction has likely taken its toll, and can't have lasted any more than 4,000 miles total.

These are the tyres I'm gunning for at the moment, so you can probably expect something in the way of a review in a months time, assuming somebody doesn't hit me with anything better?

2. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Pilot Road 3 are a great tyre and I currently have them fitted to my Speed Triple, over 4000 miles and still looking good. They have never felt like they would let go and I have them nearly to the edge. Had PR3's fitted to my Ducati MTS 1200 ans they made over 6K on that.

3. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I have PR3s on both my SIIIs. They are the best tyres I've ever had, bar none! They are sticky when you need it, grip fantastically in the wet and I get 5,000 miles out of a rear (I got less than 2,000 miles from the original Pilot power - and that was running in!).

4. Hutchism

Hutchism Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cool, cheers guys. That's decision made then! :smile:

I'm a little stuck for cash at the minute, so might try and get a bit more out of my BT020 front and just change the rear. I know it's not ideal, but I'll run with it and change the front when I can, hopefully won't feel overly naff!

5. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Just be a little careful - in my experience Bridgestones take a little longer to warm up than the Michellins. :wink:

6. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    I had PR3s on my Tiger. Brilliant tyres, expensive but confidence inspiring and I was getting over 9k from a front and 7k rear.

I'd be careful about mixing the tyres if you push it as you don't want different characteristics from front and rear (as Brybem said).

7. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Over 3500 miles on my PR3's and I'm very impressed.Hardly any wear on the front and the rears looking pretty good as well,though a little squared off,more corners needed!!

First time I've used them and I'll certainly have another set.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Ok just my 5p's worth but tyre choice is a bit of a weird thing like some people will swear by michelin tyres and other people will hate them, I think your being a bit unfair on the Bridgestones as it would be fairer comparing them to the BT 023's to the Pilot Road 3's and I would also suggest that the Metzeler Z8's are as good it the wet or better also the Pirelli Angels are meant to be ok.
    Each tyre make seems to have their own chacteristics like to the profile on the Metzelers and the Bridgestones are very rounded so they are very smooth going down into the corners whereas the Dunlops are rather triangluar and drop into the corners very fast which would be good for the track but are bloody awful on the road.

Find what make of tyre you like and stick with it

Cheers

Steve

9. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    As I've said on here, so many times, I really strongly believe that such a large proportion of your riding is done in your head - ultimately you have to go with what feels exactly right for YOU! However, tyres are probably too expensive for most of us to change them just to try to find the right ones. I used to love Bridgestones but as all manufacturers dick about with their compounds to 'update' their product they changed. Eventually did not gel with the way I ride. When I bought my 1st SIII they had Michellin Pilot Powers - I was immediately converted, and will remain so unless they dick about too much.

10. Hutchism

Hutchism Member

Jul 23, 2013
    New tyre came the other day. Not done a proper run on them yet, just up and down the M54 and around birmingham a bit. Off to Aberystwyth on Friday which'll be nice! They do feel very nice and very confidence inspiring. Definitely feel that the front isn't quite up to the same spec. Will go careful on it and replace it before the next thousand miles is clocked.

For me I need a tyre that has as much to offer in the wet as it does in the dry, these certainly look the part! Don't seem to sacrifice much in the dry either! For anyone not familiar with these bad boys, a quick google should give you an idea of what these might be like: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p...w&biw=1425&bih=701&sei=5hoVUqOqFdHW7Qb-_YGwBw

11. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I'd nip down to see you in Aberystwyth on Friday, bet hey, I'll be riding around Italy! Sorry (ish)! :smile:

12. Hutchism

Hutchism Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Hehe, yeah. Wouldn't feel too down about that either :)

Where abouts are you anyway? I'm over in Shropshire, but often pay homage to the Welsh tarmac. This time it's for work which is a bit of a bonus! :)

13. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I'm in North Wales but always aim South - North Wales attracts Nob-Heads on Fireblades etc from Liverpool and Manchester. I'll give you a shout when I get back.

14. Scouser

Scouser Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Wirral UK
    I agree I am going to fit them on mine when OEM Metzlers are finished 9 or even before as I really do not like them)
    Had several sets of MPR 3 on my Aprilia Tuono and felt great with equally good mileage from them over 4500 plus only got 2500 from previous P Zero's

15. Hutchism

Hutchism Member

Jul 23, 2013
    I got a matching front on mine a couple of weeks back and love these tyres. Though tyre choice can be a little subjective if your going to be using your bike in the wet I can't recommend them enough!

Just the look of the tread pattern is enough to instil a healthy amount of confidence. Some say that they lack feedback. Going from Battlax's the only feedback I get is that they've got a stonking amount of grip and never feel like they're going to let go or spin up, but saying that I do tend to ride within my own comfort zone and don't go out to set any personal records. That said, I don't hang about either ;)

16. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    The only other tyre that comes close to the PR3 Is the Dunlop RoadSmarts... Or if you want a bit more sticky Sportsmart...
    Apparently the Road is better in the dry the PR3 better in the wet... But we are now talking levels of riding beyond 99% of us on here..
    To us mere mortals most tyres will be better than us...

17. Hutchism

Hutchism Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Hi Screwball, for the most part I agree with you, and tyre choice on the road can often be fairly mute. Though as soon as you throw in a bit of rain some tyres fall flat on their face. For summer riders, and people that occasionally get caught out this is of no problem.

But I've had bikes which came with performance tyres in the past which give 0 confidence, and some which feel damn right dangerous in the wet. Take most performance tyres with softish rubber and limited tread and you'll find yourself tip toeing round corners and feeling quite inadequate, when the real danger is in the tyres, not necessarily the rider.

18. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    Hutch I agree.. My bike came with super sticky prielli super corsa's... As used by the super stock boys so a top level track tyre...
    However it had more in common with kojak (remember him) than a road tyre...
    I changed them after 50 miles as the British summer was not in full force in March when I picked the bike up...
    Didn't give me the confidence I wanted on cold damp roads...

• Like Like x 1
  19. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    I used to swear by Bridgestones but I found that the later ones really, and I mean really, needed a gentle warming up if you didn't want the front end washing away. Love the 3s!

20. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Oct 5, 2013
    suffolk
    Picked my new speed R up this afternoon roads very wet, haven't ridden on Michelin tyres for years BUT what a tyre I was bombing along to fast really lol confidence they give is awesome, cant tell what there like in the dry tho lol

• Like Like x 3