Metzeler Marathons are SHIT.

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by MrOrange, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

After 750 miles over the last 5 days, mostly in the wet or on damp roads, I have come to the conclusion that the standard OEM tyres on the America are bloody awful. Three front end slides, back locked under gentle braking and back spun up under vigourous acceleration, but only got 69 bhp and weighs 235 kg !!! They are crap in the wet, been told it, but having expierenced it first hand, I totally agree. One front end slide about 30 mph had the poor missus in tears !!!!

Right choices - Avon Cobra, Michelin Commander II or Pirelli Night Dragons. Can get them all for around £180 ~ £190 for a F+R pair, so cost doesn't come into it really.

Does has anybody got first hand expierence of these tyres ? Have you tried one or more alternatives to the OE ones? Mileage, dry grip and most importantly wet grip. Living in Scotland, it does tend to rain a fair amount, so quite important to me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I've got the Michelin commanders on my hog...not had any moments with them:)

• Like Like x 2
  3. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Don't know why they fit crap tyres. The Dunlop D220's on the sv were shockingly bad too. The front had the grip and feel of mahogany!

4. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    I'm watching this thread closely. I need to buy new tyres for my 2005 Speedmaster.
    When I bought it at the end of 2014, it had less than 5k on the clock…….and it's currently still got the original tyres on it. The tyres have good tread on them but saying as they are 11 years old, they definitely need changing. In the dry they seem OK, in wet they are definitely twitchy………...

5. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Went for a Avon Cobra on the back. Bike feels much more agile and corners really sweet.
    Went out tonight to scrub in whilst roads dry and warm. I had my peg down within 5 miles, and by the end of 20 miles I had put both pegs down on corners where I had never felt able to previously.

I know new tyres always feel better than a 3 year old squared off, but in the dry the Cobra feels much better.

Will let you know when I have ridden in the wet.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    I know it's early days for me BUT I find the america seems to lean a lot more on corners than my fazer does doing similar speeds. I also find I seem to sort of roll it round corners in some sort of exaggerated fashion. How do others feel or is it just me.
    Andy

7. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Thanks for the update. I look forward to the wet weather update too.
    I think I'll probably go for the Avon Cobra too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I've got Conti Milestone on the back and Conti Go on the front. They are shit too. All over in the wet and not much better in the dry. OK on smooth roads in the dry but that's about it. Will be most interested to hear how you go on in the rain Mr. O.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Was out in damp conditions, mixture of dry, drying and soaking wet roads, with lots of wet patches under trees, etc. Not particularly great conditions for biking. At least when you are riding in the rain, its wet, end of.

But have to say, new Cobra never twitched or slipped once. Bike felt secure , stable and more agile. Really am pleased with it. Didn't think just swapping the rear would make such a difference,but suppose on the America, a lot more weight is on the rear compared to std bikes. Riding over white lines is much less of a wobble fest, so added bonus.

The profile looks much higher, less flat compared to Metz', so i guess this helps with agility, and probably less white line wobble, due to less contact with them ????? Tyre actually looked narrow when sat next to my wheel with the metz on, which looked flatter and therefore, I suppose wider.

Can't wait till i get some funds and replace the front, which will be asap.

Heartily recommend putting Avon Cobra's on, just confirmed how shite Metz' are.

Only downside - my footpeg pins are taking a hell of a battering !!!!! :D:D:D
    [​IMG]

I hate the term chicken strip:rolleyes:, but you can see that I am able to use all of the tyre , bar the last 10mm. Just shows to me that the profile is better suited to the America than the Metz' (which was twice the width strip on the edge).

• Like Like x 3
  10. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Interesting stuff Mr O. However, from thinking of replacing my wibbly wobbly slidey widey Continentals I'm now thinking I might go and test ride a Street Triple R(part ex the America if I buy one). On the other hand a new pair of Avons would be cheaper. Decisions eh ?
    By the way, looking forward to riding round the Keilder area.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Thanks for the update. After reading your reviews, I think that I'll definitely get a pair of Avons at the start of next year's riding season

• Like Like x 1
  12. Suffolkbumpkin

Suffolkbumpkin Senior Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Ipswich
    Think I am gonna put this on my wish list of to do for next year as well.

Every post on every forum has always stated the cobra's at better. Plus I plan to fit a gear indicator, fed up with trying to change up when already in 5th .

• Like Like x 1
  13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

As promised, following a ride home in the pissing down rain (appprox 70 miles), here is my wet weather report on cobra's.

I have two words for you......................PEG DOWN.

Yes, managed to scrape a peg, in the wet, with the missus on the back. Wasn't even trying, just swung happily through a tight little bend and 'scuff', peg and tarmac were as one.

Can actually get some heat into the tyre. Stopped for 2 minutes, and the tyre was dry very quickly and you could actually feel some heat in them.

Rode back on wet roads, sometimes raining but roads always wet. Bike felt so much better and more secure, hardly moves when crossing wet over-banding. Can't actually believe changing just the rear has made such a difference. I had a real fear in the wet, on the Metz, but that has totally vanished.

MESSAGE TO ALL AMERICA RIDERS - DITCH THEM CRAPPY METZ SOON AS AND GET A DECENT TYRE ON THERE.

My definite recommendation would be the Avon Cobra.

My missus, who is in no way bike knowledgeable, got off the bike after 80 miles to Portpatrick, and un-bidded, commented how much nicer it was on the new tyre. No more wiggling when crossing white lines, etc. She felt much more secure riding pillion. AN dthem told me off for not buying it before our Ireland trip !!!:D

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    That definitely settles it.
    I'll be buying a set of these tyres at the start of next year.
    Thanks for the update!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hiya scoot
    I know this is an old thread but did you get the avons fitted and if so what do you think?
    Read what mr orange said and he is obviously impressed with them the symptoms he describes have happened to me on my speedmaster
    Only thing is I have loads of tread left on Metz tyres I think they must have been changed just before I bought the bike last year
    He's convinced me but would like to know what you think cos you ride a speedmaster like me and it has a thinner front tyre profile
    Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  16. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Written above was just the rear fitted, it really made such a difference in the handling of the bike.
    Been out a few times now after having front fitted. The bike is a joy to ride, I honestly look forward to the next roundabout just to enjoy swinging the bike around.
    Still no sports bike, but so much more confident, especially in the damp.

Bonus is the snakeskin sidewalls :D

Real shame Scoot couldn't get a pair to fit his speedmaster, you'll be in the same boat?

Would still recommend getting Cobra rear, made a real positive to the handling on its own.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    I love the Cobras on my Thunderbird. Feel far better than the Metz that were on it before ( yes I know this is an America thread)
    Why does Triumph put such piss poor tyres on their bikes as standard ?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

20. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Cheers mate
    Definitely gonna look into this i know the bike can handle better

Snakeskin eh?
    Match my grollies!

• Like Like x 1