Merlin Clan Boots Duff Zip Anyone Had This Problem?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by MartyWilson, Jul 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Hi all,

A few weeks back I was looking for a 'tradtional' heavy duty scrambler style boot, you know, the ones with a few straps up the outside like you used to get from Fieldsheer, Frank Thomas etc. and settled on a pair of Merlin 'Clan' boots as the closest thing although I was wary of the fact that they have a zip up the inside of the leg which I suppose is meant as the quick access route. I don't like zips on boots as a rule as I see them as very much a weak point. Well, about four rides down the line I flexed my right foot on the peg and the zip parted at the ankle. I had bought them from M&P as they were selling them cheaper than anyone else (odd as everything else they sell seems to be more expensive than anyone else nowadays) and so contacted them and was told to return them. They got them back about two weeks ago and have told me that they are now waiting on a replacement pair being sent to them by Merlin to send to me so Lord alone knows how long it will be before I get them back. For the moment I am back into an old pair of black rigger boots that I have had for years and never let me down (no zips to bust). Of course I haven't got high hopes that the new ones won't pop even though M&P have assured me that no-one else has returned a pair of these boots.

Anyone else had a problem with Merlin boots?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Give Merlin a message, they are a Brit company and am sure would try and address your concerns.
    https://www.merlinbikegear.shop/pages/contact-us

3. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

#3 MartyWilson, Jul 29, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2020
    @Helmut Visor I actually wrote an email to them a number of days before contacting M&P thinking they might just ask me to send them back for repair/examination but they never even replied to me.

@Rocker Can I ask what you disagree with? I did have a burst zip (though I couldn't see anything obviously wrong with it) and I did find that M&P are not what they used to be back in the late nineties.

I have had three transactions with them in the last few months -

Bought a helmet hoping to get it in a hurry - Chased them up a week later to be told that they didn't actually have it in stock (and didn't bother to tell me) despite it showing as available when I bought it. Had to pick another which was a fair few readies more expensive which I was asked to pay (no discount for my inconvenience or even an apology), bought a couple of Oxford disc locks, that went OK and then bought the Merlin boots that screwed up on me so all in I've had two problems out of three purchases which I don't think is good. We are getting through the third week since they got them back now and no word on when I am likely to get the replacements.

4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I am surprised mate as when I contacted them using the contact page on their website I linked they replied very quickly. Maybe chase it up again?

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

#5 MartyWilson, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2020
    I have to say that I am really not impressed with M&P now. Contacted them the other day to ask if they had any news on the replacement boots they told me they are waiting on coming in to send to me. Reply I got today was along the lines of "We'll chase this up and contact you whenever we find out anything". Not exactly imparting a sense of urgency or desire to sort things out for the customer. More than three weeks now since I returned the duff boots to them and still they don't have the replacements let alone have them on their way to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Received a message from M&P on ebay today..... "These boots are no longer available" and they have refunded me my money, minus shipping costs, even though I am sure the boots were 'Free shipping' and I am, of course out the £16 I paid in postage to return them. I am willing to bet that the boots aren't available any more as well because the leather is so tough and stiff (not a bad thing in itself for an off-road styled boot) that flexing your feet in them must put a terrific strain on the zips and hence, as I found out, they burst in short order.

I am going to leave it at that but I am definitely never using M&P again even if they turned out to be the cheapest option for something it ain't worth it. Not chuffed at all.

• Like Like x 4
  7. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

#7 MartyWilson, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2020
    You know, I was just in my Paypal checking all was 'ship-shape' and had a glance at the transactions over these boots. I have to say that, upon reflection, I am seriously disgruntled. They sold me boots that turned out to be duff, I had to pay £16 to ship them back to them and they then strung me along for three weeks before refunding me my original purchase cost (minus the postage for originally sending them to me) and I have to say one more thing about my dealings with them... M&P are a right bunch of cheeky Bastards!!!!

They may be marginally cheaper than others for stuff at times but I sure won't be buying from them any more. No point trying save money if you get crap service and are still made to pay for it.

By contrast to M&P I have spent quite a few hundred quid with a company called thinkbikegearcouk through ebay. In my latest order I had ordered a 30oz bottle of ACF-50 and got a 13oz spray can. Contacted them and in minutes got a very polite reply apologizing and saying that the correct size would be in the mail that day and, if they included a post paid label could I kindly return the 13oz can. Now that's service and I told them that, rather than cost them the postage, if they sent me an invoice I would happily pay for the spray can as well as it will probably be useful for jobs where I don't want to break out an air brush or spray gun and need a little dash. Those fellows always seem to have good prices and shipping is fast.

• Like Like x 4