Melting Headlights #Triumph

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Ioan jones, Nov 2, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ioan jones

Ioan jones New Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Swansea
    Hi I'm new to this forum but i would like to know if anyone else have had issues with their headlights melting when using headlight protectors. I have spoken to Triumph but they say there is not an issue with the headlights.

have a look at the pictures what do you people thihk

IMG_1826.JPG IMG_1824.JPG IMG_1825.JPG

2. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Is it a Triumph supplied part ( official ) or a third party part?

3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Has it got std. wattage bulbs or has someone installed higher wattage ones? Higher watts means more heat.

4. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I have headlight protectors on mine and don't have any issues.

As Biglad mentioned check your bulb wattage.

5. Ioan jones

Ioan jones New Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Swansea
    the bulbs are standard the bike is a 14 plate and only done 7k miles I've had it from new.
    Triumph are adamant there is no issue and they will not help

6. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    #6 Col_C, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    I've started a warranty issues thread for Speed Triples here. (would probably be helpful to make it a "sticky")
    You'll see that there are just a couple of cases so far but sounds like they're more gradual ageing discolouration, not as extreme as your case.
    However, I've looked in the Owners Handbook and there is this warning.
    upload_2016-11-2_17-50-54.png
    So I would say there IS potential for an overheating problem,.... but given the above warning they (Triumph) perhaps have a potential get out clause (although they don't specifically mention protectors).
    The damage looks pretty extreme and if the bulbs are still OE factory fitted I would say you have a valid claim. I would lean on your dealer a bit harder, tell them you're not satisfied, maybe mention that bad press it will get on this forum.
    Also did the dealer fit the headlamp protectors? (if so adds to their liability)
    When you get a result (good or bad) please add a post to the warranty thread so that we can keep track of these issues.
    ps
    I notice on the warranty thread Topbanana0 knows someone with this problem and quotes it also being a 2014 bike, perhaps Triumph had a bad batch, if so they will know about it and you should get a result.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ioan jones

Ioan jones New Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Swansea
    Thanks Col_C topbanana was referring to me

I'm not getting anywhere with Triumph which is disappointing as I have recommended and converted biker friends to Triumph anyway below is their response

Dear Mr Jones

Thank you for your email. The claim Bevans submitted for new headlights was rejected by the factory not only because the bike is out of warranty, but because the issue present is not believe to be a manufacturing fault and a different issue to those we have replaced in the past under warranty or recall.

We have reviewed the latest pictures you have sent and the decision from the Factory Warranty team remains the same on this one.

The damage to these headlights is very severe which does indicate that this has been caused by outside influences. The only way that we could replicate this type of damage in testing was by either the use of aftermarket bulbs or covering the light. Even repeated tests at ambient temperatures far exceeding the design spec of the lights does not produce the type of damage seen in these photos.

The fact that both lights show the same damage reinforces this as the 2 lights are manufactured separately before being assembled into the unit. Therefore, a manufacturing error is unlikely.

So unfortunately we will not be able to offer you any support on these.

I hope this decision doesn't take away from your future enjoyment of Triumph and your Speed Triple which really is a fantastic bike to ride.

Kind Regards
    Triumph UK

8. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Did your h/l protectors leave a gap between them and h/l? Mine on tiger had a gap as it's velcroed on. Been there for 3 years

9. Ioan jones

Ioan jones New Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Swansea
    Yes there are spacers but every time I took the covers off if I was behind someone they would complain my lights were too bright. They had not melted until my last run which was about 180 miles

10. Ioan jones

Ioan jones New Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Swansea
    Thanks Dozers dad it has put a smile on my face as they say at least Dick Turpin ware a mask when he robbed people

11. Taff Salmon

Taff Salmon Active Member

Aug 22, 2016
    no
    Hi Ioan
    I'm also in Swansea and also have a 2014 SPD3 from Bevans from new.
    My own lights were so poor I swapped em for cibies so I'm surprised you've been dazzling anyone? Sure the bulbs are std 55w/60w?
    Also are you saying they've been alright for 2 years then melted suddenly one day on a 180 mile run?
    That sounds unusual.
    Any chance the dip switch is faulty and main and dip are both on at once??
    Taff

12. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Taff beat me to it and is probably right, I also suspect you've had both filaments of the bulbs on at the same time, you've probably got a switch or wiring fault.
    The facts:-
    1. you've had the bike from new and not changed the bulbs
    2. if both filaments are on at the same time you get twice the heat which could cause this problem
    3. you're comment about others saying they're too bright (standard they're nothing special)
    4. not likely to have two bulbs with the same fault
    5. could be a repeatable or intermittent fault in switch or wiring
    6. I would expect your dealer to have checked for this fault when they inspected the headlights, did they?
    7. If Triumph were doing their job properly they should have instructed the dealer to run the above check
    So....check yourself whether both filaments are on either in dip or main beam position, also see if by fiddling with the switch maybe halfway between the two you can get the fault. You may have ridden with an intermittent fault (or switch position) on that 180ml run. I suspect the fault to be recent (or the lenses would have melted earlier), was the "too bright" lights comment quite recent?

If the above fault is in fact the case then you would have a valid claim against Triumph if still under warranty, as you are no longer (but I assume not by much) I would push for a good will gesture from Triumph (often free parts but must pay labour). If the fault is there for all to see (ie not intermittent) then you should take it back to Bevans and encourage them to feel suitably embarrassed for not spotting it. ;)

I suspect Triumph/Bevans are assuming you're an unscrupulous owner that has had non standard bulbs in there and swapped them back out for a claim. Obviously if the suspected wiring/switch fault is apparent they should be rectifying it not washing their hands of the issue.
    The only other (less likely) possibility I can think of is a regulator fault, this would make the lights burn brighter, but I would expect you to have suffered other problems as well if that were the case.

13. Taff Salmon

Aug 22, 2016
    no
    Sorry Col C ! Your answer was much more thorough and logical.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    #14 Col_C, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    Yep, I'm OCD which usually leads to OTT answers.:D
    (Perhaps I should be Twitterized with a character limit on my posts)
    Just hope loan jones gets a favorable outcome.
    If our diagnosis is correct he needs to get it sorted otherwise any replacement lenses will go the same way.:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Taff Salmon

Aug 22, 2016
    no
    I hope Ioan tells us what caused his trouble so the rest of us can learn from it.
    Iechyd da

16. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Generally the lenses are made from polycarbonate which has a melt temperature of roughly 150 deg. C
    So it has taken some serious heat to cause that damage.
    It would be interesting to know what heat the bulbs are generating within their confined space when the bike is standing, on the move it should cool the lenses.
    If you have access to a pyrometer check the temps. of the lenses
    As the other guys have said, check wiring, wattage etc.
    Definitely not good, Triumph should be giving you some better answers/advice.

17. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    They should at least show some interest in the cause but I suppose that would be too close to admitting liability

18. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I thank the gods that the headlight lens on my America is good old glass! As I uprated my headlight to HID's and I believe they put out much more heat!! So I would have been jiggered years ago, had the HID in for 8yrs now, not impressed with what's going down for Ioan ! We see damage to car headlights similar to his bikes here in Australia ! But it's caused by the sun over an extended time like 6 to 10yrs !

Cheers .

19. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    UV exposure, does the same to your skin, you make sure you get that protection on.

20. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Nah I'm one of the lucky buggers with olive skin! Even when I get too much sun, through the red burn. you can see me skin going browner, and I was born and bred from north Yorkshire stock.