Sprint Measuring Oil In Forks Etc

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by ChrisJHuff, Nov 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ChrisJHuff

ChrisJHuff Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    County Durham
    a simple trick to simplify setting up the sprint's front forks - for normal way up forks with screw in adjusters on top - older sprint owners know what I mean

when I replace oil OR reset the adjusters to recommended spec I used to bugger abound with rulers or tape measures and it was a right sod of a job

I discovered an easier way and its blindingly obvious (eventually) set sq.JPG

get one of these adjustable set squares - set it to the depth you want (145 mm).. insert into compressed fork stanchion with spring out - so it is sitting flush on the top and fill with oil until it just touches the ruler using a torch to illuminate (a head torch is great for this)....and of course the big advantage over a ruler is it can't accidentally drop down inside the tube

to set the fork adjusters back to standard (10mm) set the square to 1cm, place across the top of the adjuster and measure down... adjust and check... etc

couldn't be simpler really....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Exactly how I do it with RWU forks mate. :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    I use a stainless steel straw, pack of 4 for £1, drill hole same size as straw in a 50x50mm piece of clear plastic and set to height with a tie wrap; then put a piece of silicon tube on end of straw and suck the oil out with vacum brake bleeder.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ChrisJHuff

ChrisJHuff Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    County Durham
    that poor bike - what has it done to make you hate it so much... its a Triumph...TLC and pampering.... 8)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1