Thruxton Mccruise Cruise Control

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Furrygreg, Sep 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Furrygreg

Furrygreg New Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Walcott, Iowa
    I am thinking of installing a MCCRUISE cruise control system on my 2017 Thruxton if they become available again. I reviewed the company reliability, installation instructions, and operating videos from others that have installed them onto various models of bikes. It all seems to be good. Is there anyone else out there that has installed a MCCRUISE on their bikes, whether the bike is Triumph or not? If so, what was your opinion of the system?

2. Furrygreg

Furrygreg New Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Walcott, Iowa
    Just wanted to give a quick update. With the conversion from Australian dollars to US dollars. Total price with shipping was $519.00. They sent me all the PDF files for parts listing, well written installation instructions with color photos, and setup instructions. Everything seems to be well written and simple. The color photos will help a lot. I am looking forward to being able to set my speed without worrying about getting tickets, and to giving my wrist a break on long trips.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Furrygreg

Furrygreg New Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Walcott, Iowa
    DHL dropped off the cruise control kit today. Will not be able to install it for a couple of days yet. But when I do, I will attempt to take photos and talk about the install itself. It does not really look to be that difficult.

• Like Like x 2
  4. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    I have used a twist grip friction lock type of cruise control on my bikes for several years they cost around £30.00 from the USA. A similar system that I had on my 1954 T110, a knurled bolt under the cable drum simples!

5. Furrygreg

Furrygreg New Member

Aug 28, 2018
    Walcott, Iowa
    My 1991 Harley Davidson Heritage has a mechanical throttle friction lockscrew located under the throttle grip. It works pretty well out on the open highways over here in the states. But you need to leave it loose enough to make adjustments for hills, and in case you have to slam the throttle closed in the event a wayward driver or deer jumps out in front of you. With my Thruxton, I have throttle by wire, so no moving cables. Modern technology allows me to just simply plug into the bikes electronic control system, and enjoy the same advantages that cars have with their cruise control systems. Automatic speed control going uphill, downhill, or level. Automatic disengagement when you hit any brakes or the clutch. Automatic resumption of speed on demand, etc. Life is hard enough, so if you can make it easier, enjoy it. Same goes for cruise control.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BiKenG

BiKenG Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Surrey
    How did the installation go and how well does it work in practice?

7. thebigbail

thebigbail Member

May 31, 2019
    Prince George
    #7 thebigbail, Jul 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    Yeah, I have a Kaoko throttle lock on my GSA, I find it intuitive and safe.
    Here is the link to Thruxton.
    Apparently it doesn’t work with the R model?

https://www.twistedthrottle.ca/kaok...hruxton-1200-16-with-original-bar-end-mirrors

8. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    My old BMW R1100RT came with a thumb friction screw on the throttle side. Simple, mechanical, nothing to wear out and fully adjustable. Brilliant

9. thebigbail

thebigbail Member

May 31, 2019
    Prince George
    I ordered the Kaoko throttle control for my Thruxton R from R&G. The SKU is “thrux100”.

I am unhappy with the design and took it off. Because of the bar end mirrors, the Kaoko doesn’t mount the same as their other models. It adds a full 1” to the bar width on the throttle side and the control wheel is not close to the grip which is less user friendly.

I have the Kaoko on 2 other bikes and love them, (BMW and KTM). Their non-Triumph design is easy to use and a very clean design.

I might have to look into this McCruise system?? Does anybody have more feedback on the install/operation?

10. neilb

neilb Active Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Billericay, Essex
    I fitted a McCruise to my Honda Pan European 1300 some five years ago. Took me a few days working at a very leisurely pace and checking, double checking, etc. It required removal of pretty much all the panels, which on a ST1300 is an undertaking in itself. As for the McCruise, the installation is really straightforward with the aid of the best guide imaginable; it was a large booklet with every step fully detailed with many, many full-colour photos. As it’s all plug-and-play there really is little scope for error. The only problem I had was with my clutch switch preventing the system from activating: an email to McCruise in Australia brought a call from the company within a few hours and the advice sorted the problem.

To sum up, it’s a top notch piece of equipment that works really well. It came in for a lot of use on my European trips when using the autobahns and autoroutes to get to distant places quickly. I can’t say I used it much in this country as our motorways (which I only use as a last resort) are too rammed to be able to ride without constantly adjusting speed. The actual control unit is a cinch to operate with nice, large buttons, as you can see in the pic.

6C397823-4DC7-4D34-9233-647ADBB2F787.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  11. BMac60

BMac60 New Member

May 19, 2020
    Newcastle, Australia
    I just bought a 2017 Thruxton R with the Mccruise cruise Control fitted.
    For me it’s a game changer. It works smoothly and intuitively. It even dials back a little automatically when the bike leans into bends. At sixty years young, the opportunity to regularly flick on the cruise and stretch my neck and back and flex my wrists makes owning the Thruxton a long- term proposition. I regularly do a 700k run to my fold in the country. I wouldn’t have bought the Thruxton without it. Also our Oz speed laws are enforced with enthusiasm in the cities and along the coast. So it’s the best mod on my bike.

One minor niggle. A couple of times I had a flashing light instead of the normal cruise engaged light and it won’t set. When this has happened I turned it off and on again and all was well. I’ve only ridden around 1200 k so far. But I’m a big fan of the Mccruise.

• Like Like x 2
  12. BMac60

BMac60 New Member

May 19, 2020
    Newcastle, Australia
    I just bought a 2017 Thruxton R with the Mccruise cruise Control fitted.
    For me it’s a game changer. It works smoothly and intuitively. It even dials back a little automatically when the bike leans into bends. At sixty years young, the opportunity to regularly flick on the cruise and stretch my neck and back and flex my wrists, makes owning the Thruxton a long- term proposition. I regularly do a 700k run to visit my folks in the country. I wouldn’t have bought the Thruxton without it. Also, our Oz speed laws are enforced with enthusiasm in the cities and along the coast, so it’s a points/ license saver. Its the best mod on my bike to this point.
    One minor niggle. A couple of times I have had a flashing light instead of the normal cruise engaged light and it wouldn’t set. When this happened,I turned it off and on again and all was well. I’ve only ridden around 1200 k so far, but so far I’m a big fan of the Mccruise.

• Like Like x 2