Maybe Someone Can Help Get This Poor Lady Her Bike Back

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Timmy Tucker, Jun 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Timmy Tucker

Timmy Tucker Elite Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Newmarket
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I really hope she gets it back quickly, but confirms my belief that if you book a hotel in any town or city then always go with one that has secure parking :(:(

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Big problem in Edinburgh at the moment. The scrotes have learned that a lot of foreign tourists stop off in Edinburgh, as you would on a tour of Scotland, and their bikes are left outside hotels.

Just because everyone they meet is nice, they think everyone is. Edinburghe fair share of junky scumbags lowlifes and scum of any big city, and they now know how to pinch bikes. Any with foreign plates are even easier as you can see.

Feck off huge chain and alarmed disk locks required.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Feel so sorry for her if anyone but surely they have bike thefts in Germany and not chaining your bike overnight anywhere let alone in a city is asking for trouble. The husband had the right idea though, make sure his bike was the least accessible.
    If bike theft in Edinburgh is such a known problem there should be a large awareness programme targeting visiting motorcyclists.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Well there's one for our Scottish Angles. Help a lady Biker find the scumbag. Any punishment will be acceptable.
    Ride Safe.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:mad:Thieving Feckin lowlife :mad:

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    #7 TEZ 217, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Never stop the scumbags but maybe -
    As MrO says above, maybe hotels should take this on board, make visitors aware and provide such equipment to unaware and foreign visitors to use on their bike/bikes within there own hotel car park. A service that would protect their clients bikes and bolster further business from them.

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    Stopped off in Edinburgh on way back from NC500 two years ago. Walking around a local collared me and my friend, spotting us carrying our helmets. Advised us that bike thefts were rampant and make sure our bikes were locked properly.
    As said above, a hotel that could provide and then advertise secure parking would surely make money.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    What a shame that she had to go home without her bike, with the best will in the world she is unlikely to ever see it again. Unfortunately the police are unlikely to put a great deal of effort into getting her pride and joy back.
    As has been said it is really important when touring that you look for accommodation with secure parking. All of the hotels and B&B's that we used last week in Ireland had secure of road parking available.
    Wessa

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

It looked like two or three people were filming that ???

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I think it's a computer screen being filmed whilst replaying the CCTV system images. Presumably the victims just getting their head around the incident and wanting to keep a record - perhaps for insurance purposes at home. Poor buggers.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  13. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

I see, I hope they do catch the fucker...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Better still hope they ride in front of a speeding artic. Or train.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    There’s low life scum bag thieves in all cities and towns who don’t give two fooks about there victim :mad:

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

There is, but unfortunately due to the popularity of touring Scotland on a bike, you'll want to go see the castle, etc in Edinburgh, the low-lifes have really cottoned on to it.

One of the boys on the Aprilia group actually got his back because of Facebook, someone recognised the bike sat somewhere dodgy in Edinburgh, and manged to reunite the bike with owner.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Edinburgh has - to a sassenach like me, at least - always had a refined, genteel "vibe" to it that sits at odds with this type of theft, but then I've only ever done overnight stays in a city centre Travelodge (without a vehicle) so it's a somewhat narrow and distorted view.

I do think, though, having watched that footage and read the article, that city hotels and maybe even the Tourist Board could do a LOT more to warn motorcyclists of the scale of this type of problem. I know it's not a good idea to 'promote' the fact that theft is a problem but, once you have the visitor in the city, then it should be made a bit more obvious that the problem exists and the risk can - and should - be countered. As stinger said, it IS potentially a reasonable business opportunity.

The Scottish Tourist Board MUST be aware that promotion of routes like the NC500 has increased the number of biker visits and any such increase could be threatened by a bad reputation for motorcycle theft.

Realistically, and unfortunately, we can't entirely stop these individuals from doing what they do but, if the hotels with car parks provided better warnings; some inexpensive ground anchors and motorcycle parking spaces, and made it much clearer that there's a real inherent risk of theft, then there might be a chance of reducing the misery for some unsuspecting visitors.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Read more Rebus! Niddrie and Wester Hailes are no less renowned for their ‘gentility’ :rolleyes:
    The thing is, a certain proportion of their electorate is what maintains the cooncil’s political bent so there is limited enthusiasm for plastering the posh end of toon wi’ warnings aboot the proclivities of the local neds.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Yes, Callumity, you're correct - it IS a while since I read any Rebus novels! And I get the point about the counter-intuitive nature of warnings in the posh end of the city. It's just that I reckon that if you took an informal poll of a random group of people - let's say "Brits" - and asked them a question like :

"Of the following cities, which would you think is least likely to result in your motorcycle being stolen from a hotel car park? LONDON, LIVERPOOL, GLASGOW, EDINBURGH"

I really do think Edinburgh would be perceived as the lowest risk.

I know, highly unscientific, perhaps even 'loaded' but my point is that, as a fairly frequent overnight visitor to Edinburgh city centre over the last 3 years, I just wouldn't have expected to hear that there is a real problem there with motorcycle theft - to the point of a specific police task force. Sad but true ..... i.e. that I didn't know and that it's the reality.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Adie P.
    I have to agree with you. It is rife and it doesn't have to be an city a hotel or any lodge. Motorcycles are easy targets and even easier to break and sell. My garage over the years has and still present the centre picked out of the door handle. It was once buckled over in almost half. And many other garages have had the same treatment. We live in a quite little village. It sickens me hard working people save and toil to have nice things and every time you turn your back some scrote is eying it up. Even here about six months ago one creep came along with a 675 engine. Complete stranger and said mate you work at bikes. I said no just my own. He replied want to but an engine £50 quid. I looked it over numbers were grinded of. I replied to him you take your engine and I am going now to phone the police I hope they catch you on your way out. He actually pleaded with me that the engine had come from his crashed bike and hadn't been stolen.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 5
  21. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#20 MrOrange, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2019
    Has anybody seen Trainspotting ? :eek:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

• Agree Agree x 1