Master Ignition Clarification

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Sideburn, Dec 4, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sideburn

Sideburn Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    I searched and didn't find anything with regards to the silly US/Canada bikes and the additional "master ignition" switch on the frame. Mine is a 2019 RS

I'm curious if you guys leave them in the ON position most of the time, even when the bike is in the garage, etc. It seems this is just slapped on after the fact, so I suspect that if the UK bikes don't have it, then it's the same as leaving it ON.

Any feedback welcome, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    What you have fitted to your bike is not present on ours. Functionally it is the same as the master switch fitted to race cars - it simply provides an easy external means to isolate the battery +ve feed from rest of the vehicle electrics. It’s biggest use is to prevent fire following an accident.
    I would put it in the same category as the kill switch. Leave alone in the run position unless/until you need to kill power.

87CF7477-E53B-41C7-A292-B3BCEF2D0101.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sideburn

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    As I suspected. Many thanks for the reply!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sideburn

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Just to follow up on this. I confirmed with the triumph tech. He said keep the “oven” switch on and pretend it doesn’t exist.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Good to know thanks.

6. Badkarma

Badkarma Member

May 15, 2018
    Kansas City, KS USA
    I turn it off when I park my bike somewhere other than my garage as just one more theft deterrent. Probably doesn't do much but give me peace of mind. /shrug

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sideburn

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Yea, that's reasonable. I dig my heels in though as I feel keyless start is't really keyless if I have to turn something that resembles a key.