Maps And Mapping Tool For 1200xca?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Auspanglish, Jan 14, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Auspanglish

Auspanglish New Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Spain
    Hello to all and sundry!

Recent owner of new to me 955i tiger and very pleased so far.

Anyway this is a question for a Valencian buddy of mine who can't help tampering. His Triumph is a 2016 TIGER 1200 XCA.

He's asked me to act as a translator.

He's wondering if there are any maps developed for decatted OEM headers and the recommended Arrow exhaust for the XCA which he had gutted. Second question is how to upload them to the bike's ECU.

He mentioned he is aware there is a fuelling map developed for the Arrow exhaust for OEM headers that still have the catalytic converter in situ.

He says she (the bike) loses low down power in Sport Mode.

Any info much appreciated.

Hope this is the right place to ask. Should I open a new thread somewhere in particular?

Triumph on...

He had a Dyno run done in Road and Sport mode ... uploading images.

He mentions that ECU Tune is not usable on his 2016 1200 XCA.

Is there any software or power commander style devices or means of DIY modifying the mapping on this model?

Maybe people have heard of Ghul Motors in the US of A... apparently they managed to hack into the Honda VFR1200F's ECU and customize all sorts of parameters and remove OEM limitations without drilling. Maybe they would be able to work a fix for this but for just one unit would surely be exy. What with shipping over and back and a one off job...

thumbnail_IMG-20200114-WA0003.jpg thumbnail_IMG-20200114-WA0004.jpg

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    There’s a company over here in the uk called hilltop tuning that have been used by a few forum members, they might come and recommend them or not but you could look for their web.. no forget that I just did and found loads of bad reviews on them, sorry

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Am I missing something from those power graphs? They look pretty healthy to me and unless he’s riding the bike at below 3000rpm all the time doesn’t look to have much to complain about, certainly not a lot of difference between cat and no Cat!
    Hilltop will do a postal service on the Ecu but he won’t get any before or after dyno charts and he’ll have to rely on seat of the pants feeling to tell the difference.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Auspanglish

Auspanglish New Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Spain
    He's referring to the dip in the green line around 4 thou rpm in sport mode... Posting amplified screen shot...

Screenshot_2020-01-15-12-16-11-030_com.whatsapp.jpg

5. Auspanglish

Auspanglish New Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Spain
    ...as can be seen here in Road mode, no dip at same RPM

Screenshot_2020-01-15-12-23-16-956_com.whatsapp.jpg

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Now I think I'm missing something :confused:

If the bike is proven (graphs) to perform better in ROAD mode then why not run it in it;
    No?

He doesnt have to tell anybody he's "wimping" out due to not using it in SPORT mode :joy:

• Like Like x 1
  7. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Just out of interest, does anyone actually know what the mode switch actually changes with regard to the engine?
    Is it fuel map or ignition map or both or something else?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    My understanding was NOTHING!

I thought (ready to be corrected!) it just varies the fly by wire ‘gearing’ from the twistgrip.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    #9 Tricky-Dicky, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    That's the trouble with stepper motor throttles the are deliberately sluggish same for cars you can actually get as little box that will change and amplify the signal.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Auspanglish

Auspanglish New Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Spain
    True, but yes, you're missing the fact that he's a chronic tinkerer, aka perfectionist hahahaha

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

In that case hen needs to buy some mapping interface and sort it himself.;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Auspanglish

Auspanglish New Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Spain
    #12 Auspanglish, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Apparently he now has the regular TuneECU, not the Bluetooth module and gizmo cable combo I've been informed he needs to upload maps on the XCA.

Now we're informed of the interface he needs (he says he's sceptical that combo will work on his bike but I figure he'll have to try it to prove otherwise)... All we need is a map... we are hoping to find someone who has been there done that with his catless headers/gutted Arrow set up and has a map out there.

There is one for that exact set up for a 1050 on the TuneECU site, but I can't see any email contact details for the guy, Alain Fontaine, who lists them on his website...

I was going to hit him up for one unashamedly for the XCA!

13. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    #13 Tricky-Dicky, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Its much more interesting making and adjusting maps yourself your friend should be up for that..... learn't (self taught) to adjust and map car engines when i was into fast turbocharged Japanese cars interesting stuff.

Tell your friend to get himself a wide-band lambda with logging system and use that to get the ideal AFRs for all engine load points...there is always a bit to be gained over std.
    Something to look at and temp.;)
    https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

• Like Like x 3
  14. Auspanglish

Auspanglish New Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Spain
    I just lost a long reply due to session logging out... rasafrasa.

Summary: he would be capable. Studied mechanics. Crew chief of maintenance at a recycling plant. Does all the maintenance on MC buddies' bike's, family members' cars, etc. Best buddies are a mechanic and one who's an electrical engineer who keeps Valencia's mercantile port running.

We do track days, his is a Gixxer. Guess he's hoping someone's already been there done that for his case. Not sure if the initial financial outlay rings his wife's bell... Hi hunny just installing a power bank in the garage LOL.

Here's yours truly at Motorland, Aragon's MotoGP track, 5 years ago...

IMG_20200116_000529.jpg

• Like Like x 4