Making The Move From 2018 Striple Rs To 2022 1200 Rr

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Fitz Brundage, Mar 26, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fitz Brundage

Fitz Brundage Member

May 11, 2018
    North Carolina
    My fingers are crossed that I'm making a good decision. I love my Striple RS but it has always felt overly heavy and I prefer more aggressive ergonomics. When I test rode the RR I was really impressed by the suspension (roads here in NC are pitiful) and the spectacular fueling. And I think the red RR is gorgeous.

Anybody else made the move from an RS to the 2022 RR? Regrets?

In an ideal world I'd have both!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Fitz Brundage.
    Do keep us in the know as to how you progress with this decision.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Neal H

Neal H Active Member

Mar 7, 2021
    England
    As an owner of a 1200RS, I can confirm that the engine, gearbox, brakes and handling are epic. The bike feels beautifully light and agile.

If you are comfortable with the the RR’s more extreme riding position, then I doubt you are going to be disappointed! The RR is certainly a lovely looking machine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dickie

Dickie Active Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tadcaster, North Yorks
    #4 Dickie, Mar 28, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    I have a 2019 1050RS & had a test ride on a 1200RR at the weekend.

I booked a ride at A1 Moto, just outside the city walls in York, UK. The weather was perfect, the roads clean & dry, & it was buzzing at A1 Moto, lots of bikers enjoying the café & bikes. I’m a real Triumph fan, the quality & attention to detail are superb.

I traded a 2015 1050R & Aprilia RSV1000R for the 2019 1050RS as the Aprilia was only getting used for 500 miles a year as I preferred riding a naked, & after a test ride on a 1050RS realized the bike had moved on greatly from the 1050R.

I test rode a 1200RS & didn’t think it was much of a change from the 1050RS so wasn’t overly bothered about a change, I thought my 1050RS looked better, TFT screen was better & I found the steering heavier.

I think the 1200RR looks stunning & was interested to try out the electronic suspension, & more importantly at 55 years old, the riding position after not using my Aprilia much due to the sports bike position.

By the time I’d reached the open roads out of the city I thought no way, my hands were aching after only 10 mins. However this was soon short lived when I opened it up & all was forgotten. The first thing that I noticed was the gearing was a little longer than the 1050RS not requiring such quick changes as speed increases. Then at the first left right 90 degree bends the bike tipped in beautifully. The acceleration, resulting noise & handling quickly became addictive. This is a great bike to ride quickly.

After half the planned ride I switched to Sport from Road mode but didn’t notice any significant change. The brakes were just stunning with the rear brake making me notice how effective it was & had a nice firm pedal. Another stand out was the quick shifter (don’t have one on the 1050RS). It was almost seamless at certain rev’s & worked amazingly well even at 30-40 mph trundling through villages. Another surprise was the low screen. Even at very fast speeds I didn’t notice the neck bending strain you get on a naked. At 5’11” tall there was loads of room to move about & push back in the saddle.

Minor negatives – there was a degree of high frequency vibration in the bars, the mirrors were ok but there was a blind spot for some considerable way behind me, & personal to me, with both brake & clutch levers fully wound in, the levers were right at the tips of my fingers for my medium (size 8 glove) sized hands.

So after the ride I was surprised. The MCN review the week before had put me off a bit but in sampling the bike I loved it. The riding experience was thrilling & addictive. I’d happily own one. A beautiful quality bike.

Many thanks to Stewart & staff at A1 Moto York for getting me out on the bike. It’s a great location for a visit & all the staff make you feel welcome & have time for a chat.

When I left on the 1050RS it felt like I had ‘ape hanger’ bars, I nearly overshot the road junction due to my inferior brakes & made several gear shifts with the quick shifter I don’t have after so quickly adapting to the 1200RR.

After watching Lamb Chops Rides review for a second time I think he sum's it up nicely - "Its Fun". It really is great fun!!!

• Like Like x 8
  5. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Nice write-up, @Dickie. I'll have to check out A1 Moto next time I'm over that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stue007

Stue007 Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Germany
    #6 Stue007, Jun 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    Triumph rider from Germany here. Coming from a 2018 Speedy 1050 RS, too. Recently, sold the bike to make room in my garage for a beautiful new Speed Triple RR.

Never the less test rode some of the top hyper naked bikes to be sure, the RR was the right choice before buying.

Especially, the Aprilia Tuono 1100 V4 Factory is an amazing bike. Motor, suspension and sound are fantastic. But the build quality I can't deal with - looking at the love to detail, coating, finish and quality of Triumph bikes. The overall look is quite dated despite the recently front mask redesign and to loud in colors and not noble enough for my taste. So I am more the classic style dude I guess. I like a sporty front wheel oriented position on naked bikes like my 1050 RS or the Tuono. Don't like the recent trend of a more upright position so much. So the new RR has been in the evoked set, utilizing the bike on the road and maybe one or two times per year on a track day.

Testing the position at the dealer I was surprised how sporty the position of the new RR in reality is. The food pegs are sporty but o.k. for my hight (6.0") and leg length (normal body proportion I guess). The bars could have been 1-2 inch higher and 1 inch closer for my taste. In that case the food position would need an adjustment, too of course. The whole concept is very clear on the sporty side. That is how Triumph has defined the RR.

I took a first short test ride and while riding wasn't sure, if the bike would be the right one for me. I had less than an hour. Second test ride felt much better, tried not being too cramped this time and took my time, shoulders relaxed, back stabilized, light on the grips - and it worked out good for my taste. Power and handling are superb. Sitting on the bike the RR feels somehow more serious and mature than the RS looking at the beautiful tank and fairing from upside down. The electronic suspension helps a lot on the road - have ridden the RS and RR in direct comparison - but it still is no comfort marvel, even in comfort mode. The Tuono has far more spread in the suspension settings between ready to race stiffness and road comfort. The RR Oehlins springs front and especially back are on the firmer side, allegedly and/or more oil filled in. Triumph has positioned the RS and RR at the more sporty corner very clearly. The suspension design seems to follow this path.

As the Speedy RR is not my one and only bike it is the perfect sports bike for a quick after work turn or joyride at weekends. So I have made the deal for a chrystal white one, waiting for me at the dealership already. Unfortunately, in Germany the registration authorities are still in corona mode and quite lame. So I have to wait until mid/end next week before I can pick up the bike - have some easy mods in preparation...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  7. NLTriple

NLTriple New Member

Mar 11, 2021
    London
    Doi it ..I've had the r and an s ....this bike is in a different league .....I'm 60 and wrong side of 16stone and of course in town and slow speed its heavy on the wrist in comparison to a naked ... but jeez the fun I've had with it .....had a 5hr test ride from the
    guys in east london triumph ......country roads and back lanes myself when I got back on my s I thought it had paperhangers on ! Have to agree with the mirrors..vibey and blind spots plenty ....had her 10 weeks and still cant fine tune mirror properly....but have adopted my own style to get around that .....I took out the rs when I had her serviced boy I'm I glad I got the rr instead ....would have felt cheated ......

• Like Like x 1
  8. NLTriple

NLTriple New Member

Mar 11, 2021
    London
    Out on group ride later sunday 247miles ...no more aces and pains than usual .....Do it......my last thought is it should be called a SPEED RR .....SPEED TRIPES should have high twin exhaust and twin head lights ............

• Like Like x 2
  9. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #9 Eldon, Jun 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    Nice cafe at A1moto with decent food and coffee attached to shop, these might help :p

20210922_121849.jpg

20210922_121845.jpg

20210922_121842.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dickie

Dickie Active Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tadcaster, North Yorks
    Well much to my surprise I collected a new ST 1200 RR yesterday from A1 Moto in York.
    A couple of weeks ago my interest in buying what is an expensive bike was caught by the MCN Deal's of the Week column showing Webb's of Peterborough selling new RR's at £15,499. After a quick look on line I filled in three 'value my PX', one for a new RR above & two for two £15k demonstrators locally.
    Anyway after a few phone calls the following couple of days I did an amazing deal to PX my 2019 ST 1050RS with A1 Moto.
    Rode it straight home & fitted an EvoTech tail tidy, exhaust hanger, Rad Guard & front axle bobbins, plus a Powerbronze double bubble screen. I removed several protection items from the 1050RS but sadly they wouldn't fit the RR.
    So my advice, don't go on list price & used price guide, speak to the dealer.

PXL_20220630_134429576.jpg

PXL_20220630_134438187.jpg

PXL_20220630_134449705.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  11. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    What a beaut! Congratulations!

Funny thing, the double bubble screen isn’t supposed to be a cosmetic accessory, but it has the right lines. Looks great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Stue007

Stue007 Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Germany
    #12 Stue007, Jul 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    Congrats - beautiful looking bike. Please, give us some first riding impressions incl. comments on the Powerbronze screen which looks amazing by the way.

Have bought the Speedy RR in crystal white, too. The fu**ing authorities here in my district in Germany are still in C19 mode and vacation time has worsen the situation. Appointment for registration needs 3-4 weeks (!)... :mad: So, I have to wait picking up the Speedy on July 29th - pressing both thumbs...

In the mean time some nice parts have been incoming from Evotech Performance UK and one from CarbonFBR UK. There she is waiting at my Triumph dealer in Duesseldorf, display shows "sold - don't touch, thank you" :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  13. Dickie

Dickie Active Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tadcaster, North Yorks
    Hi Stue,

Its a bit early to say as I've only got 300 miles on it, but the screen is very good, although I only ran the stock one for 10 miles as I rode straight home & put on the accessory parts.
    The first 100 miles was frustrating changing gear at 3000 rpm, when the shift light came on but now its up to 5000rpm so that's 80mph in top.
    I've had one fault where the riding mode icon was alternating between road & track every few seconds - bike rode OK - dealer reset with laptop.
    I wish the mirror arms were a little longer as the mirrors are poor - they could be as wide as the bars as far as I'm concerned.
    Its early days with the suspension. I'm riding in Road mode with front & rear adjusted as soft as it will go (90kg rider). I did try the Race mode when I turned onto a twisty 'B' rode but it was far to firm & found it difficult to control the bike.
    I'll let it bed in a bit but might get the preload set softer as it seams pointless having adjustable suspension that has be at its softest all the time to enjoy it on the average UK road.
    Other than that I just love riding it. Its just so easy to ride & the handling is excellent, but I need more time to get it run in & play with the settings.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  14. Stue007

Stue007 Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Germany
    Thank you very much for your first riding impressions. Concerning the mirrors and the suspension it‘s exactly what I think from my two test rides, too (90 kg).

Coming back from vacation I will pick up the beauty next Friday, can‘t wait. My Triumph dealer has installed the Evotech Performance UK tail tidy with the OEM running lights, already - looks super cool.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  15. Stue007

Stue007 Active Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Germany
    #15 Stue007, Jul 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    Have picked up the RR on Friday as planned and have ridden 350 km until yesterday. Impressions from my test rides have been confirmed. Due to the serious front wheel oriented riding position the RR corners very precise and can be controlled perfectly. Still paying attention to the break-in period, of course.

Noticed rare up and down shift problems in some situations utilizing the quick shifter, have to observe...

• Like Like x 2