Trophy Making Good Bits On My Bike

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by KevofCov, Nov 20, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KevofCov

KevofCov New Member

Mar 20, 2019
    End of M69
    Hi all
    Can anybody offer any advice. I’m trying to improve the cosmetic appearence of my bike over this winter ready for the spring. I do want to take a bit of pride in the job.
    The bits that need rubbing down and painting (e.g. the pillion grab rail), I intend to rub down and spray with a rattle can. How do I get a satisfying finish? Are base coat layers worth the effort/needed? Is rattle can Laqueur useful?
    Or is the whole excercise not worth my effort and just hand it over to professionals who will make good small quantities?

• Like Like x 3
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Easy answer :) have a go:cool:
    If you feck it up :confused: so what :)at least you tried :grinning:
    If it works.....feckin brilliant :cool:
    If it doesn’t :(don’t tell anyone :p

good luck :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I'd say prep is the key. Get a mirror smooth surface to start with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Essex
    If doing fuel tank, use 2 pack rattle can lacquer. I did a fuel tank last year and used etch primer, couple of coats of paint, then couple of coats of 2 pack lacquer (all rattle cans). Used 800 then 1200 grit sandpaper between primer/paint/lacquer, then same for lacquer coat. Finish off with polishing compound. Hard work but worth the effort. Big advantage for the DIY sprayer is being able to buy and use solvent based paint.

• Like Like x 1