Tiger 800 Make Pannier Mounts Straight Again

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by wizzkey, Sep 26, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wizzkey

wizzkey New Member

Sep 14, 2020
    York, PA, USA
    A little over a week ago I posted a thread asking about Givi pannier mounts. I bought the Trekker cases that fit them, and had a wonderful ride yesterday!

As a result of the ride, I now need to ask: any suggestions for making a pannier mount...uh...the shape it used to be? The exact amount of fun plus a close encounter with a gate gave my side case a new experience mark, but the impact made the mounting rack itself a little less pretty. Any suggestions for straightening it?

Here's a video clip from the ride: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiYMklkJ_1Y-iJEpLBKfKJpE4CJbxQ?e=9WrGrm

2. wizzkey

wizzkey New Member

Sep 14, 2020
    York, PA, USA
    Thanks! Not flippant at all--I'm happy to hear that some amount of pounding and bending stands a chance of changing the shape, rather than just destroying it further!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Thinking outside the box here. Could you use a car scissor jack and some wooden blocks to push the frame back into shape.

• Like Like x 3
  4. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Put your pannier back on and reverse at speed through the gate:p:p:p

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. wizzkey

wizzkey New Member

Sep 14, 2020
    York, PA, USA
    I like it! It was a fun trail going forward, I can only imagine the joy going backward!

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. wizzkey

wizzkey New Member

Sep 14, 2020
    York, PA, USA
    Update: the solution was a 4 lb hammer and a short piece of 2x4. Twenty or so well-placed whacks, and 2 or 3 hard and poorly-placed ones, and we are back to good enough! It is visibly imperfect, but all the connectors connect.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Fall on the other side so they match up????? ;);););)
    Only joking and glad you sorted it with the precise adjustment technique !!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1