Machine Control

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by SpeedTwin1200, Aug 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    Booked!

It's bound to be wet in October! o_O

• Like Like x 2
  3. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Try pushing one side and pulling the other if you want quick. ;)

Only joshing, enjoy your course. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    All training is good, counter steering, whether riders realise it or not, is a natural part of riding, understanding it makes your ride a whole lot better!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    :grinning: Exactly! That's what I found. Push = good, pull = better, push + pull = best.

I was just a little surprised as there is so much stuff on counter-steering out there and not many mention pull.

6. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I find pulling on opposite bar is a lot more natural in those situations when you choose to shift body weight in a turn. E.g. when doing a right turn, shifting weight to the inside of the turn moves you shoulders right and you pretty much naturally find yourself pulling on the left bar to 'hang on' so to speak.

BTW, I'm no racer, my 'shifting weight' doesn't involve moving my arse in the seat, just leaning to the side to get a shoulder behind a hand grip. Useful for keeping the bike more upright on wet roads and generally giving me extra confidence when I accidentally, (or on purpose ;)) enter a corner a little faster than normal.

7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

• Like Like x 1
  8. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Aw, that version is 'minus 20mins cheese'. I liked the cheesy bits in the original :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    I did course 1 a few weeks ago at Exeter on my Bonnie T120. I found the course very informative, good humoured and well presented. I came away knowing much more about my bike and myself and felt an extra confidence (not too much!) on my 119 mile ride home. I will be doing course 2 in October and I would highly recommend these courses to any riders regardless of experience. The course was also great fun :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    Thanks Flyby, good to know another local Bonnie has done it. So are you going up to York too in October? I'm doing MC1 & 2 on 10/11th Oct.

11. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    Hello Speed Twin, I will see you on the 11th
    How do you like your ST?
    My Bonnie is going in for its 20,000 mile service on Wednesday and my courtesy bike for a few days is the new Speed Twin.
    It will be interesting comparing the two bikes.

• Like Like x 2
  12. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    Well I love it and I've only done 1200 miles. I'm planning on a suspension upgrade but can't really fault it, except I find the seat a bit firm after an hour or two. I wouldn't be surprised if you have one by October. Look forward to seeing you there. Simon

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Bit confused, what course 1 mate?
    Are you talking California Superbike school, it's just the post before was talking about Keith Code, I thought they were all track based?

• Like Like x 1
  14. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    Hi Billy,
    The course 1 is from here https://www.i2imca.com/MachineControl.asp

Actually I saw a promo video for the Superbike school recently and they do very similar training for handling skills and confidence etc.

i2i just use a clear bit of tarmac with weeds growing through rather than a decent track.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Ah! Now I see, looks like a decent course, and if you have come away with a better feel for the bike & more confidence then it was money weel spent.
    I haven't done California Superbike school but I have a mate that has, he was full of praise for it, although it is a bit expensive, I just read Twist of the Wrist & try & remember what Keith says when I am on track.

• Like Like x 3
  16. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    I haven't mucked about on a bike since I was a teenager really, apart from a year or so with a trials bike anyway. Since passing my test in the early 90's everything I've done has been on the road and like most people I suspect, I haven't tried new things to develop my confidence, skills and understanding on how bikes work.

One thing that stands out from this course; all the advanced riders say you have to be able to stop in the distance you can see is clear, so your speed into a bend is governed by this rule.

The other rule is don't brake on a bend.

That doesn't make sense and Tom Killeen who runs the course (and is an advanced rider/assessor/observer, instructs the police etc etc, grew up on bikes, off road, does track stuff etc, etc) thinks so too. His answer is to teach you to brake while cornering so that you don't have to find out if you can or not one day when you DO need to stop in the distance you can see is clear.

We covered so much stuff that really should be taught at CBT level. I thought I was reasonably proficient at slow U turns, not my best thing, but managed okay. I went from controlling the speed with the clutch and rear brake to rolling along on tickover, no brake, no clutch, full lock and one light hand on the bars, in both directions. One way is always harder than the other!

I never expected to be able to do a tighter and tighter slalom course at 40mph one handed, or braking to a virtual stop one handed or cornering and braking at the same time, one handed.

It's amazing how well Tom explains and demonstrates everything in such a progressive way, you just find yourself having a go at the next thing, making a few mistakes but then getting the hang of it.

It was great fun, he's funny and engaging, very well read, plays the piano, rides a bike like a stunt rider and does all the advanced stuff on and off road.

If you get a chance, do it. Lots of older guys there, a couple of women, a few who've been before, a few who passed their test this year and lots of advanced IAM/Rospa guys, all sorts. If you are a bit more interested, watch to two video links at the top.

And the Speed Twin was brilliant!

• Like Like x 3