lythium battery

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by lucas60, Jan 30, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. lucas60

lucas60 Active Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Eat Ayrshire Scotland
    Hi everyone, I have 2012 Speed Triple and as it is now 31/2 yrs old thinking of a new battery. Can anyone advise me of the pro/con of Lithium, Gel and sealed? I am contempating the new lithium as they apparently have a bit more power are lighter, smaller and last longer. Any advice would be appreciated regards Lou

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The only things I know about lithium batteries are :

1. They don't like cold temps &

2. They have a very abrupt cut-off. They will give and give and give and then stop - no warning.

With regard to batteries in general, the key specification is CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) in other words the ability of the battery to start the bike or car.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I have a Motobatt in my bike,since fitting she has started easier as the battery has more kick. I am aware that they give no warning when they are failing but this can be in their favour as it should help with the famous sprag failure caused by a weak battery. I dont know about using an optimate on them coz I have never been a fan of them anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Hi Folks -

I would like to revive this old thread. I need to quit charging the battery in my T-Bird and just buy a new one. I'm looking at the different types and wondering if the lithium or wet gel batteries are really worth the money. I came across the following comparison chart which is really helpful, but there is nothing like real experiences. Have any of you been using either of these battery types? If so, what is your opinion?
    https://img.jpcycles.com/staticwebfiles/instructions/pdf/ZZ36009.pdf

5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    bump...
    Yuasa YTX12BS failed on me this morning - a combination changing the coolant over the weekend requiring multiple starts as I flushed out the old stuff and being 4c this morning (not really that cold but maybe a factor) - multimeter reading was only 12.4v, last used Wed last week (4 days ago)

Considering
    - Motobatt MBTX12U (£50 ish) - have used before and was happy;
    - Shido Lithium LTX12CNT (£100 ish) plus lithum charger (£?) - new technology, lighter, more space and more CCA - willing to spend the extra for new technology for more reliability and performance

Any thoughts on the lithium battery?
    charging issues (doesn't like going over 14v apparently as this wrecks them)
    reliability/compatibility with charging system and other electrics
    Cold starting - apparently turning the lights on or cranking a couple of times warms the battery up and will start after a few secs

6. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I replied to the original thread and at the time had a motobatt and was happy with it.I had to change it a few weeks ago, funnily enough when we had the hot spell as it had died totally. I used the bike the week before with no issues, nothing left on, and it was dead as a dodo, I have gone back to yuasa and for my Sprint , I got one with the same kick as a motobatt, however it cost just under 100 quid so not much cheaper than lithium but no charger worries

7. deaks25

deaks25 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2018
    Birmingham, UK
    I've been using sealed gel batteries like Motobatt for years (My SPrint 1050 has a Motobatt, MBX12U, now and a Nitro previously). Never had an issue that would put me off them and find they hold up much longer than the liquid acid ones.

I prefer the battery to be consistent, the last time I had a liquid acid battery, as it neared the end of it's life, it got very inconsistent in whether it wanted to hold charge or not. Gel batteries get progressively worse & can suddenly decide they are done, but at least it's very clear, rather than working fine one day, dead the next, then being only sort of dead, then fine again!

I'm a year round rider so I've tested my batteries in the coldest conditions and gel batteries are more then able to deal with any conditions a rider can cope with.

Never tried Lithium batteries, but have been tempted for the reasons Red Thunder lists. I've heard/read that the thing with Lithium batteries is there's no cheap & cheerful option. They're either good, or cheap, NOT both, so you'd pay for compromising on price, whereas liquid acid batteries can be dirt cheap & generally reliable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I have opted for the Shido Lithium through Amazon, any issues and it should be easy enough to return
    Also a Optimate lithium charger for it.

Same as Deaks, I am a year round rider so will be interesting to see how it holds up through the English winter, although I don't expect temp to go below -10c which is noted in the specifications as the point a lithium battery starts to fail

9. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    Fitted a lithium battery to mine. .no probs yet but if I do run into any it's got a very quick charge time

• Like Like x 1
  10. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I have had yuasa, gel and now a lithium battery In my 09 America ! The lithium battery beats all the other's hand's down. It will crank over the motor for absolute age's, and it can be left for a month and more without a trickle charger attached and still works fine ! As for cold use , it doesn't get much below 0°c here in Northampton WA, but on the coldest days here it still cranks/turns over fine ! The more it turns over on a cold morning the better/faster it goes ! Battery will charge up to full charge on a short 5 KLM run ! That's One of the Weaknesses of lead acid batteries beat hands down ! Lead batteries take many hours to set up and reach full charge, lithium takes 20 to 30 minutes to reach 80% of full charge and a couple of hours to be almost 100% !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  11. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I have had yuasa, gel and now a lithium battery In my 09 America ! The lithium battery beats all the other's hand's down. It will crank over the motor for absolute age's, and it can be left for a month and more without a trickle charger attached and still works fine ! As for cold use , it doesn't get much below 0°c here in Northam WA, but on the coldest days here it still cranks/turns over fine ! The more it turns over on a cold morning the better/faster it goes ! Battery will charge up to full charge on a short 5 KLM run ! That's One of the Weaknesses of lead acid batteries beat hands down ! Lead batteries take many hours to set up and reach full charge, lithium takes 20 to 30 minutes to reach 80% of full charge and a couple of hours to be almost 100% !!

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Par-Archer

Par-Archer New Member

May 31, 2018
    Olympia, WA
    When buying a lithium ion battery, should I be looking for the same amps/volts that old one has?

13. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    OEM batteries are perfectly fine for road use, if you’re looking to loose weight for racing then choose something else.
    But i think you’ve actually answered your own question after three and a half years you’re thinking of replacing it

14. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The physical outer dimensions ! The cold cranking amp's available from a lithium battery are far greater ! So select by voltage ..!.. It has to be 12V..!.. And be physically big/small enough to fit into your batteries location on the bike ! I had the problem of battery box was visible on my '09' America and back when I bought my battery there was little choice/selection of outer dimensional/physical size ! So I had to move the battery, it was too small to go in the case ! It would have rattled to death !!!

15. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    I bought a Lithium battery for my 2010 S3 bike and it it was hit and miss onb cranking over so I sent it back and stuck with lead acid. If I have gone for a higher CCA may have been OK. Or maybe I was unlucky.

16. martinm

martinm Member

Mar 24, 2018
    leicester
    had a lithium on 3 of my last bikes. ktm 1290 sdr ducati xdiavel and 2012 speed r. now have one on my 2018 speed s. jmt is the make.one of the cheapest around.been fine but struggles to start the speed triple up if temperature drops below 8 c. a blast with the hair dryer around the front of the tank soon gets it going. bought mine for the weight reduction.