Lytedrive Meriden 650/750 Magneto Housing

Discussion in 'Parts, Accessories & Clothing' started by speedrattle, Mar 5, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    #1 speedrattle, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    lytedrive triumph 650/750 magneto housing

i have a brand-new unused lytedrive ARD-style magneto timing cover, complete less the joe hunt reverse-rotation magneto. this is the modern replica of the old ARD magneto ignitions from the 1960s that were popular on flat trackers and choppers. the original ARDs are rare, very expensive, and often pretty beat-up. the replicas look and work the same with modern parts.

fits 1963-1972 650, 73-on 750 with some fiddling.

some lytedrive magneto timing covers have the casting off-center around the crankshaft nose seal. this one is perfect. the cover is complete, with new pulleys, belt, belt cover and screws, and the bolt and washer to hold the lower pulley to the exhaust camshaft nose.

all you need to complete this is a joe hunt magneto, available from joe hunt, or from british cycle supply, who also sell this unit. the original ARD magnetos used ancient fairbanks-morse agricultural magnetos. the modern joe hunts use modern parts. all magneto parts are available from british cycle supply or joe hunt. the drive belts are available on eBay. you might be able to use a fairbanks-morse or a morris unit on this—i haven’t measured to see.

this casting will fit 650 motors without issues, but if you want to put it on a short-rod 750 you'll likely have clearance issues between the right-hand exhaust pipe and the magneto. i have an old ARD with the mounting holes slotted to give movement, and there's no reason why a machine shop couldn't do the same with this one.

the ARD-style magneto can run single fire, dual fire, or with a twin-pugged head using special plug wires. there is no advance mechanism. i have an ARD that i ran at full advance of 38 BTDC, and i had no starting, kick-back, or rideability problems with it. using the magneto replaces your entire ignition system with its own coil, condenser, and points, and reduces the ignition wiring to a single wire between magneto and kill switch. or you can eliminate the wire and mount the kill switch directly on the magneto. i love these things because they are so simple and give a reliable spark that gets hotter with increasing rpm.

US$300 shipped to your door, anywhere in the united states. if you’re overseas, i’ll have to check on shipping costs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's an old ARD mounted on a 1970 so you can see how they fit. the lytedrive is visually identical.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa