Luggage Set Up For Touring

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Andybow, Apr 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Having a Speed RS is limiting to what you can use, I’ve used this similar set up before and it works well
    Ventura bars with the top box adapters which I’ve bolted a sw motech to and then you can use any bag to put on top. I use a Givi 40L cargo bag which has a hard moulded base so it sits well on the base plate.

8E202452-D779-4B19-93D1-BE52B932B7E1.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Andybow

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    And another pic

6B6790B9-01F6-4E31-8C0D-088E06B16BF2.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  3. Andymarksonline

Andymarksonline Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    I’m off to Spain in a few weeks. A 30l Kreiga tail pack and Gigi tank bag is what will be going on my RS.

Had this setup last year in my street for Le Mans worked a treat.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Andybow

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    I’ve used Kriega before but I like a pack that is easily accesable, I find the givi bag to be brilliant. It’s similar to the Kriega where it has a dry bag inside

5. Heyho

Heyho Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Scotland
    I’m trying to come up with something for my RS...seems to be a few options would love to see what u guys are using though...

6. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Are you going to have your bike back by then?

7. Andymarksonline

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    I’m hoping to have a new one. The finance company are looking to reject it due to the engine issue, I should find out next week if that’s what they decide to do.

It’ll be tight as I’ll have to run the new one in and get first service done but I like a challenge!

If they don’t reject it I’ll have my old one back with a new crankshaft and engine cases and fingers crossed it’ll be ok. If they decide it’s to be repaired and the dealer can’t do it in time I’ll have to be speaking to triumph head office about lending me one.

Andy.

8. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Well let’s hope it’s rejected and you get the new one soon. Good luck, fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Another luggage option, not sure if they're doing anything for the latest models yet, mine is a 2015 94R. I only fit the pillion pegs and support frame when we go away touring so the bike still looks nice the rest of the time, so not a good option if you're looking for a regular use type of solution. Expandable, so plenty of storage space but not ideal if you need to do some tight traffic filtering too. :D

2016-05-06_12-10-33.JPG

2016-05-06_12-12-19.jpg

2016-05-06_13-38-56.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chester Monty

Chester Monty Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2016
    Chester
    I have a Kreiga us30 with 2 us10s on the side and a small Oxford qr tank bag, Im off to Le Mans this year for the GP and tips Andy?

11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

You'll no be filtering much then ???:D

+1 on the Kriega packs. Expensive, difficult to access and pain to put on.

But they are totally waterproof, sit up and off the bike, so no damage, easily configurable to suit (I have US20, 2 x US10's) and they are good at 135mph+ :laughing:

12. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Be careful not to put too much weight on a rear luggage rack, which can have the effect of taking all/most of the weight behind the rear axle.This in turn makes the steering much lighter than is advisable. Tank slapper anybody?? In my case it was at very low speed and was soon sorted by using the pillion seat as well for the load. Taught me a good lesson though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Andybow

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Have used this system on my last few bikes, kreiga backpack I love, the dry bags are excellent I just find this way the best for me

F347F019-759D-4241-9A63-0A164744C01C.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  14. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    30ltr Lomo dry bag strapped across the rear seat and a Kreiga R15 rucksack for me, carries enough for a couple of nights.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. matt black

matt black New Member

Feb 2, 2019
    halifax
    im currently using a hepco and becker sportrack, which replaces the pillion seat its a shaped flat steel plate which you can adapt other plates onto to suit the footprint of whatever luggage your using.in my case a held livigno 45 litre tailpack fully waterproof main compartment,i also can use my jofama 52 litre tailpack on the same setup. rock solid at speed and good access for stops when you need to get at things unlike kriega which is a pain but highly roadworthy and ultimately waterproof.i have two tens a twenty and thirty litre pack which i have mixed and matched over the years. my only bit of advise is mount your luggage close and as low on the bike as you can get it as it does affect handling. make it fit easily with the least amount of straps as pissing around at every stop reorganising your luggage becomes a chore and doesnt allow you to enjoy your ride. just my 2 cents worth,pack light and enjoy where ever your going.

16. Andymarksonline

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    Not really mate. Just enjoy it!
    It’s obviously really busy and take a good lock. Suncream too lol.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Andybow

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    If you’re going to lemans try and camp or stay away from the track, pissed up Frenchman with chainsaws revving all night!
    And take a good set of waterproofs I’ve been many times over the years and had hot weather once. Watch your speed around the circuit the police are v hot on fines

• Like Like x 1
  18. Heyho

Heyho Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2019
    Scotland
    Thanks,looking at the Hepco and Becker sport rack..like the idea off all the diff plates...can use a tail pack on it for shorter trips then change to roll bags when the tents needed...with either a rucksack or tank bag...that’s what I’m thinking anyway...cheers...

19. Andybow

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    Depending on how big you are, I found the hepco base brilliant but it was too close to me and touched my back hence wanting something slightly further back but not as much as a top box rack

20. matt black

matt black New Member

Feb 2, 2019
    halifax
    hi hepco supply generic plates which cover lots of bases but i make my own even from abs plastic sheet. the sportrack is just a great base to work from, hope it works for you.