Low Fuel Light Not Working

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by NivenDaytona675, Nov 20, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. NivenDaytona675

NivenDaytona675 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    South Africa, Gauteng
    Hi All, as the title suggests, it seems that my "Low Fuel" indicator light does not seem to be functioning.
    I was riding to work and the bike cut out, opened the tank and saw no fuel. Walked to nearest garage, bought 2LT of fuel, walked back to bike, filled it up and she started up on the turn. Rode to garage and filled the bike up. No issues since.
    During my ride, the low fuel indicator light did not flash. The previous owner says he never saw it come on as he never rode his bike with low fuel. That wasnt a statment that concerned me when buying the bike, now it a minor concern as its a nice to have esp when riding. Dont want to get stuck in a similar situation again.
    I could always make sure my tank is filled weekly but thats more of a bother to me.
    To all the experts out there, where would you reccomend i start checking, obviously i dont want to go into a bike shop just yet as i dont want to spend cash staright off the bat, if i can fix it i rather do it myself.
    Bike is a Triumph Daytona 675 2008 model.
    if i dont find anything amiss then i will book it into nearest Dealership to fault find.

Thanks in advance guys.

PS: i did try searching first before asking the question but couldnt find any results. :(

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    This is not a difficult fix......either the bulb has blown (most likely) the tank sender unit is faulty (tank off, unscrew at base and replace) or the connection is faulty somewhere. Start with the bulb before you throw money at a dealer......which might be better spent on a manual.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    The light should illuminate when the ignition is switched on as a test, along with all the other warning lamps. That’s your starting point, then as said, investigate as above.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Manual. Also fuse check.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Had the fuel run out - no light problem on my SV650 once. Was the block connector under the tank had come adrift. Easy one to check once you've discounted the bulb per the above suggestions.

6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Deleted and told to fuck off.

Need @Rob to delete maryqween

• Like Like x 3
  7. NivenDaytona675

Oct 24, 2017
    South Africa, Gauteng
    no light when ignition switched on.
    Going to check bulb first :). anyone got any links on how to do this.
    Thanks

8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    That’s where the manual comes in......

First access the bulb then all you need is to feed 12v to the bulb terminals or do a multimeter continuity check. There are multiple means........YouTube is your friend.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. NivenDaytona675

Oct 24, 2017
    South Africa, Gauteng
    Thank yoou for your replies, but no youtube videos on how to get the cluster out and check the light bulb.
    Havent seen any videos reagrding this or maybe my google skills are not up to scratch.
    Thanks for the replies tho.

10. NivenDaytona675

Oct 24, 2017
    South Africa, Gauteng
    thnak you for your reply, that would be ideal, if i knew how to get to the light bulb.

11. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    You either need to get a manual or find access to an online version.

• Like Like x 1
  12. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    If they are anything like the Striple clocks, then they look like LEDs. Which would probably mean a clock module change. Check the resistance of the sender unit with a multi-meter before spending serious money

• Like Like x 1
  13. NivenDaytona675

Oct 24, 2017
    South Africa, Gauteng
    anyone got one they willing to share?

14. NivenDaytona675

Oct 24, 2017
    South Africa, Gauteng
    *thread update* so after riding my bike yesterday i noticed that my low fuel light did make an appearance. So the light does work after all. the only thing i did was open the 2 bolts holding the tank to frame, look around and put everyting back, i removed all fuses checked them and put them back. so in essence i didnt really do anything. only time will tell whats going on, if its a once off thing or the damn thing is really faulty.

15. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    • Like Like x 1