Loud Pipes Are Safer - Official

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Rich Bryce, Aug 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    #1 Rich Bryce, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    I'm sure this taxi driver would have heard me behind him had I been riding my Street Twin with it's barking high level 2:1 Vance & Hines and so would have been alert enough not to cut me up as he did here on on my quieter Bonnie SE at the Great Denham roundabout. Then again maybe he's just a shit driver. Fair do's he pulled across to let me overtake for which I waved a thanks.

I do realise it's not exactly a life-threatening maneuver this cager made, but had I been riding less cautiously I could have been squeezed in to the kerb.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    I do find that if I'm out on the Harley , no one ever seems to cut me up or pull out in front of me & generally they give me plenty of room , whereas if I'm out on the Triumph tiger which is a physically bigger bike , higher , wider with its panniers on with twin headlights , I pretty much get ignored & people often pull out in front of me or cut me up , I think its probably because the Tiger is a standard exhaust & much quieter than the Harley , either that or cagers really like Harleys lol

• Like Like x 2
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello Daryl, not seen you on here in a while ? How are you doing?

4. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Sorry mate would never try and overtake a cager on a roundabout they never go round them properly:mad: always wait until the exit

• Agree Agree x 7
  5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yup you’re right, most people will be looking ahead to read the signs for their exit, maybe the near side mirror but not their offside. Wrong lane, missed exit, too much to handle

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Unless that was two lanes on and off that roundabout, you were wrong to try that Rich. Sorry mate, but I would just wait till off the roundabout and accelerate past.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    My two cents.....

Injudicious riding......Better to avoid the situation than be technically right but dead wrong. If your hair is not on fire why take the risk of getting squeezed?

Noisy pipes. I live on a favoured bikers’ route and can pick out the Harleys, Dukes etc., from some distance. They are a bit OTT and my own pipes are not the whisper quiet sewing machine items. BUT without exception it is the 600 4s getting their necks wrung with antisocial back ends that makes me grind my teeth. (Big bikes are a couple of thou rpm lower simply to make the bends!). Bikers collectively need to develop better sensitivity to the public at large because noise is pollution all of its own and erodes goodwill. Boy racers are a PITA whether on R6s or in farty GTIs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

When I did my minibus course, for the comfort of passengers, you are encouraged to straight-line RAB and to use both sides of the road, ONLY when it is safe to do so. So if intending to straight-line RAB, check if any vehicles could in take the inside lane. If clear make full use of the road.

It's all about observations, if safe and clear, it's ok, if other traffic present, don't.

This is the problem, average car drivers don't do rear observations when driving, EVER! And then straight-line.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Don't have to be sorry, as can clearly seen from the video I did hang back until after the exit.

10. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Which is what I did in this case. I rode in anticipation as you should.

11. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    I've got mirrors and use them. Nothing behind me or to the side of me.

12. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

But you were complaining he pinched you mid apex? Were you not trying to pass there, was that not the complaint in the OP!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Fair comment, but my original comment was tongue in cheek referencing back to the discussion we had with James at the GMU about loud pipes only being heard after you've passed the bus.

14. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    Hiya Dave , well I thought Id drop in and see whats going on , I sold my Triumph america and Ive got a 955 tiger with panniers and all the shit lol , I like it more than I thought i would tbh

15. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I had one of those for a while, did a tour of Italy on it. Just found it a little top-heavy (maybe that's due to me :confused::p:p) but now I've got a yamaha Tracer MT-07. Carries it's weight low (45 kgs lighter than the Tiger), really chuckable and ace on fuel - about 75 mpg !!!!

Nice to see you about on here.....................................

16. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    You had a blue one didnt you , thats why I got one , I thought if Daves got one they must be good , so rushed out and bought one about two years later lol , and youve gone and sold it ha ha