Loud Exhausts And Horses

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Vulpes, Mar 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    #1 Vulpes, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    So next to the bike I have a horse - well, we have two. To get from the stables to the forest we have to walk about 200 metres along a busy road, cross an even busier one and off we go. Before we can cross we have to wait for our lights to go green at the crossroads (we can trigger the lights from the saddle, a switch was placed at saddle height).
    When there are bikes which have been waiting for their lights to go green pull up they quite often rev the b*ll*x out of them, with us waiting just yards away. Fortunately our horses are fairly bomb proof - but if you're on a slightly more nervous type it's not funny when those "screamin' eagle" types blast past. Apart from it being feckin' dangerous. Is it ignorance or something else that makes them do this? They do not seem to realise that when a horse spooks it might just run in to them. Or cause serious injury to either horse or rider, or both.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Totally agree no need for it, something I always do around horses is to give them as much room as possible and pull clutch as I go past them being as quiet as possible, just respect for other road users :cool:

• Agree Agree x 17
    • Like Like x 2
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:confused: Hmmm.... I like loud exhausts :grinning:
    I always give horses plenty of room and pull the clutch in passing as quietly as possible :)
    BUT and it’s a BIG BUT:eek: I don’t think that horses should be allowed on the road :mad: if I road horses the last place I would take it is in amongst the traffic :(
    Just asking for trouble if you do :(

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I have nothing against loud pipes - to a degree. My own TORS are not that quiet either. My point is that often people are inconsiderate or just plain silly making such a racket near what basically is a flight animal. And we have just as much right to be on the road as anybody else. I can see your point, but the road cannot always be avoided.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Like Dilli I like loud pipes :heart:
    I also like horses :heart:
    most of all I respect other and nearly all road users :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. dirty big hands

dirty big hands Active Member

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    Because the noise is mightily impressive and macho.
    And most horse riders are female.
    ‍♂️

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. dirty big hands

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    I have no idea why it put that symbol! ☝️

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    You reckon loud pipes are dick extenders then? :cool::p

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Yeah of course :p
    Mine’s Feckin HUGE and LOUD :imp:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. dirty big hands

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    Aren't they????

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Horses can and will be spooked. But sometimes you just have to get on the road. But that's not the point I'm making mate. I was wondering why people feel the need to intentionally try to scare them with loud pipes without considering the consequences.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Yep don't agree with that last bit mate.. I can see your point, but it's just not practical. We're not on the road often, but if we want to go for a hack we need to traverse 200 metres of public footpath next to the road, and then cross a busy road. I'm not going to load them up for that distance. By the way - 1500 kg? We're not riding Siamese twin shires... :cool::p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Always have always will pass horses as quietly and safely as possible...those that dont just have no brain or consideration.....mind you there are those that will take a nervy horse on busy road who are equally stupid.

Having said that a guy i knew years ago had a horse jump a fence in front of him when he was on his bike...caused a nasty accident.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Horses terrify me. I do give them as much room as possible and pass as quite as I can. Actually seen one kick a stable door of its hinges. But around Burnham here and the country roads in the beeches. Several times I have rode along those roads and some riders are there and two or three abreast with a massive line of traffic behind them and they will not move. People are peeping horns and revving their engines. And you can clearly see the horses are disturbed. So point is there is ignorance on both sides.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 8
  15. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I don't see that many horses on my travels, but if I do I always slow right down so not to spook them,i can't actually remember the last time I saw a horse on the road, maybe it's more of a problem down south?
    Plenty in fields up here though,so i'm guessing they either ride them in the fields or on tracks next to fields without actually having to go on the roads
    i do see Sheep,Deer & Highland Coos on the road though!

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    As teenagers a friend's girlfriend borrowed his horse and she was a capable rider. It got spooked and she couldn't stop it before trying to go straight across a live dual carriageway. Caused a bad accident and she broke a limb if I remember correctly.

Isle of man; TT accident and the helicopter caused a horse to spook and entered the course after crossing two fields causing a bad accident.

An ex work colleague was well into bikes. His wife was into horses, so he had both. They were galloping across a field and his words were there was only one tree on the far side. Horse aims for it and at last minute despite his best efforts side steps it the wrong side to what he was trying to go. This smashed him into the tree (Horse totally missed it) and if it wasn't for his wife being a Hospital Registrar he wouldn't be here today.

These are unreliable creatures with a dubious quantity of brain. I do always respect horse riders on quiet country lanes but some plonkers take theirs through busy built up areas and I just shake my head at them in disbelief.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    There are some stables about 400m away from home. Anyone who rides past them in a way liable to frighten them is completely stupid. The roads past my house consist of narrow 2 lane b-roads to single track unclassifieds where the scope for passing wide and slow is limited/impossible. I have sat, engine off, virtually in the ditch at the side of the road when you can spot a horse who is very nervous. Anyone who doesnt do the same, obviously hasnt seen (i have), as previously mentioned, the damage a horse can do to solid things let alone a squishy biker. I dont give a fuck about the big stinky things but value my own skin rather more than take a chance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

I always slow, reduce revs, pass wide... they have a right to be there too. I’m not gonna cause an accident due to my deliberate selfishness...
    I’ve also ridden a few horses on the road (accessing trails etc) and try to ride predictively to reduce interfacing with the morons who don’t give a fuck.

It’s the same old same old!!! If two people are respectful and considerate, most times they meet, there will be no issues. But give one person an inflated sense of self importance and invariably they become the focus of a “situation”!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    One of the worrying things i have seen up here is young girls riding on the road and texting:worried:....sure the horse is 50% in control but it does beg the question
    should they get fined like car drivers.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    It is an interesting and very complex issue and a number of valid points have been raised on both sides.

I've just had a brief discussion about the issue with my wife - a retired police officer with a very extensive knowledge of traffic laws - and she raises two important points :-

1) if it wasn't for horses, there would be no roads. Our roads were developed for use initially by horses and horse drawn carriages - the motorised vehicle is, after all, only a couple of hundred years old - horses predate them by more than a thousand!

2) in the eyes of the law in this country the priorities for "road" users are 1st. pedestrians; 2nd. horses, THEN motor vehicles. Technically, if you were to approach a T junction and a pedestrian is walking along the pavement and aiming to stay on the road you are about to join (i.e. cross your path) the PEDESTRIAN has lawful priority! As a motorist you are legally expected to allow them priority to cross your path. Of course, in reality, most pedestrians would wait on the pavement for you to go before crossing, but, be aware, they don't have to do so!

I live in a very rural area and there are a LOT of horses and horse riders around, some of whom are very young children. They simply cannot get to bridlepaths or open land without using roads. They deserve our patience and our respect as well as the protection of the law. They are doing no real harm and might delay a journey by seconds or even a few minutes but it takes little more than respect and patience to allow them the same freedoms and safety that we enjoy.

My 2p.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1