Loose Steering Head Nut

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Gyp, Oct 9, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Just had the annual service done on my 2019 Street Scrambler.

The mechanic noticed that the steering head nut was only finger tight where it should be torqued to 90Nm.

I can only think that it wasn't done when the bike was assembled at the factory; he only spotted it as he felt the steering head bearings were a bit notchy.

Worth checking!

The mechanic tightened it up as best he could. Bit of a pain to sort on mine as my sat nav mount is bolted to the handlebar clamp and that all needs to be removed to get at it, so that's a job for me for next weekend.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I had same on my Speedmaster. Noticed the front end felt a bit 'rattly' and took me quite a few rides to realise what the problem was. This only happened after quite a few thousand miles, so reckon it had worked itself loose (but probably wast up to correct torque from factory). Done 20,000+ miles since then without it coming loose again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I've had to nip mine up after the bike developed an occasional clunk under braking. It was more than finger tight but not tight enough. 8500 miles. When the 10k service is due I'll probably strip it down and re-grease the bearings.

• Like Like x 2