Looking To Buy A 2016 Speed Triple S. Anything I Should Know?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Hevn Snt, Apr 24, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hevn Snt

Hevn Snt New Member

Apr 24, 2022
    Kansas City
    Hey all.. I've been out of motorcycles for about 5yrs, coming from a 636 Ninja. I'm ready to get back into bikes, and I went to the local dealer and saw a used 2016 Speed Triple S and fell in love with it.

I was wondering if there was anything I should know about this model year, or this particular model before I buy? They are asking 9k for the bike, which feels pretty high to me. The previous owner put a lot of mods on it (frame sliders, exhaust, etc) but that really doesnt feel like enough to warrant that asking price. Am I crazy?

Also, (and I am not exactly sure how this will go over) but I really don't like the insect eyes and I am planning on swapping them out with a single round headlight (https://motodemic.com/shop/speed-triple-s-rs-single-headlight-conversion/) and I am interested if anyone has any experience with doing it on the '16.

Obligatory pic: https://imgur.com/a/fPk2Wbc

Thanks all!

2. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    Unless I imagined it I think I saw a thread here very recently on just the subject of changing the lights. I think it was a bit tricky but I'm not sure about the details. Have a search for it.

3. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    It does sound a bit high tbh but still a lovely bike of course!
    You could probably get a rs for that (private sale) with grubby pound notes clogging up your pockets

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I'd try to find the newer model for that money. Sounds too expensive for a 2016 S.
    I had a 2016 R and to be honest it is not Triumphs greatest speed triple. It was the first ride by wire version and it got greatly improved for the next generation bike.

5. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    I traded my 7,500 mile, full dealer service history, 2018 Speed Triple R in for £7,500 last June. The dealer sold it for £8,295, so I reckon the one you've seen is overpiced. It had a quickshifter, Arrows cans, and other bits fitted as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I had a 2016 Speed S model.
    I found the TC was very intrusive, but you can turn it off I guess, other than that it wasn't a bad bike, but, after a year, I changed it for a 2018 RS model, the RS was a much better bike.
    Given you're saying it's a high price for the S, if you can stretch to the later RS version, it's more than worth it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Alom

Alom Member

Apr 2, 2022
    New Zealand
    I'd like to suggest taking a R or RS model and beyond 2018 will be better.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Pickernickbasket

Pickernickbasket New Member

Feb 17, 2022
    Mansfield, UK
    I got a 2016 1050r back in October for 7k with 6k miles on it so that 1 is overpriced!
    Have since spent about 1.5k on tyres, samco hoses, coolant, levers, heated grips, tank pads, bar end mirrors, carbon pillion and light surround, oil and filter, k&n, sure there's more.
    Find 1 for right money n don't hesitate, great bikes. I do find it a bit lacking in torque (used to bigger bikes) so looking at 520 chain and +2 on rear (anyone done this?) plus a remap coz don't think it was done for my lowboy.

9. Pickernickbasket

Pickernickbasket New Member

Feb 17, 2022
    Mansfield, UK
    P. S. Can't help with the lights but they grow on ya, save ya dolla for petrol

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hevn Snt

Hevn Snt New Member

Apr 24, 2022
    Kansas City
    Really appreciate the insights and tips everyone. I have decided to keep searching for when an `18+ R/RS becomes available.

• Like Like x 2