Looking for Slotted Bolt for Solo Rider / Pillion Seats

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Scoot65, Apr 28, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    I'm going to be changing the original dual seat on my Speedmaster for a solo rider seat and solo pillion seat. After reading various threads on the web, I've read that I'll need a slotted bolt / bolt with a double collar which tightens the solo rider seat down and then the pillion seat's front fixing bracket slides over the bolt and pulls back locating into the slot securing it in that position.

Example :-
    http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/so...ted-seat-bolt-by-newbonnevillecom-26537-p.asp

Can anyone let me know where to get said bolt???

Cheers!!

2. PieMan

PieMan Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Dorset, England
    Have you tried HERE.

3. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Thanks for the post / link, Pieman.
    I was hoping to source a bolt here in the UK. There's plenty of guys run the solo rider seat / pillion seat set up and they must get the bolts here in the UK???

4. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Thanks for the reply DD, however, that bolt does not have the double shoulder / slots which the pillion sat hooks over and onto. The ones you linked to are good id it was just the solo rider seat I was going to use.

Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
  6. Alisdair

Alisdair Member

Apr 29, 2017
    Richmond, London, UK
    Hi Scoot, I think that I have the same issue as you. I have a 2014 Speedmaster and I'd been trying to find a solo seat and luggage rack for it (apparently Triumph didn't make a solo option for post 2012 EFI models), anyway I found a nice second hand Corbin which came off a Speedmaster the same as mine. I thought it'd be easy enough to fit but the fittings don't match, need to replace the bracket for a single bolt of some sort that the seat can slot onto and also the front of the luggage rail. The most frustrating thing is that I can't even get my hand under the fender to release the bolts that are holding the bracket on, the space is so tight between the wheel and the fender. And I really don't want to have to take the fender off to do it! anyone got an idea here?

Like you, I've seen lots of Speedmasters with solo seats, hopefully one of them can reply here and make this easy for us!

IMG_0091.JPG IMG_0092.JPG IMG_0093.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  7. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    #5 Scoot65, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Alisdair, I think you should be OK with a straight M8 bolt which is long enough to take both brackets. Such a the ones Dosers Dad linked to in post 4 here.

Over on Triumphrat.net there's some chat about having to file the Corbin bracket (this may be regarding a Corbin pillion seat, I'm not sure). Also, it's easier to access the underside nut when the weight is off the rear end by using an auxiliary stand such as this one
    http://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/A-4AAOSwhlZYty1i/s-l200.jpg

Still looking for info on where I can find the slotted / shouldered bolt specifically for the pillion seat bracket to locate onto.....

8. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    The picture of the slotted bolt you posted does not say discontinued, only sold out.
    Have you contacted them to see if they will be getting more stock in ?
    If they do not my advice advice would be to contact TEC who are in your neck of the woods and see if they will make one for you.
    It may be a part they decide to put in their product range.
    Failing that use the photo 'blown up' and scale the sizes with an accurate ruler and add dimensions.
    Any small local engineering company should be able to make you one for the same cost.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Good points MickEng. ....and no, I've not contacted the seller to see if they are getting more stock. I will do. I think I was hoping someone might know of another seller who has them in stock. I will also contact my local Triumph dealer to confirm if the bolts sown in the diagram are the one I'm after. Good point re TEC too!

Cheers!

10. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Dunno where you're getting your solo riders seat from but if it's from triumph the bolt comes with it

11. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    If pillion seat is being fitted as well a solo rider's seat, a different bolt is required, as per my opening post.

12. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Yes mate I understand but I got the slotted bolt when I got the triumph single seat it allows the fitment of a pillion seat or a rack
    If you get stuck you can have mine and I will replace mine with a different bolt
    I don't have a need for it I just used it because it came with the seat

• Like Like x 3
  13. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    If you got hold of a skirted bolt of the appropriate size and used something to act as a spacer and then a larger washer, you might end up with the result you want ????

• Like Like x 2
  14. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Thanks for the offer dilligaf. I'd certainly like to take up your offer....

thebiglad .. I've thought about that, i.e. using a small diameter tube. I've also looked at shouldered / sleeved washers, however I could only find nylon and not steel.

15. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

It's yours mate
    Just need to get it to you
    When where how?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    I could come up for it, or probably easier if you post it. I'll cover costs by using PayPal if you use that???

17. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Whereabouts in Durham are you
    I'm visiting friends in Chester le st later today
    Don't mind meeting if that's easier

18. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    #16 Scoot65, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    I've sent you a private message.....

19. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Thanks to dilligaf, I'm now sorted with the slotted bolt. He very kindly gave me one (and also a rear rack). Thanks again, fella, much appreciated !!!

• Like Like x 3
  20. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    #18 capt, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    IMG_20170502_124929.jpg IMG_20170502_125200.jpg IMG_20170502_125304.jpg
    You could do what I have done, I put a bolt through from underneath the mud guard ! And I had a knurled Nut made for the top ! I change my seat from solo to dual as and when required ! Just need to do the quick release modifications to the middle bolt for quick removal of solo/dual seat..
    See pictures above. Dual seat in place. And single/dual seats from underneath.

IMG_20170502_124929.jpg

IMG_20170502_125200.jpg

IMG_20170502_125304.jpg

• Useful Useful x 2