Looking For Recommendations For Lithium Battery

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Steven Dennis, Feb 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steven Dennis

Steven Dennis New Member

Feb 28, 2020
    usa
    Hello everyone,

We are in the USA and I would like to swap out the PB battery with a lighter one. Currently, we use a battery tender to keep the battery float when not riding so if the battery could be compatible with this system then great, but if it needs a special system to keep it up to charge when not in use it can be considered.

We have a 2018 Speed Triple RS

Thank you for the leads.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Hi, obviously this is not a US supplier but this is the one I bought.
    Shido LTX14-BS LION
    The specs did not say it was compatible - just the case size. I packed it with some foam to make up the gap. https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mo...prod/1943914/7fdb4e5e64782a5e4f2061203d91cccb
    Its been 100% fine for me BUT you may have trrouble on very cold days.
    It keeps charge well so no need to keep on a tender. You CAN use a basic charger so long as it does not have the de-sulphation?? mode which is too high a voltage for Lithium battery . Loads lighter - no regrets.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Steven Dennis

Steven Dennis New Member

Feb 28, 2020
    usa

Thank you for the information :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Usa
    Battery tender makes a lithium battery, I put it in my speed triple a year ago and it’s been great

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. tomg

tomg Member

Jul 3, 2021
    USA
    Please tell me which Battery Tender battery you installed. I contacted Battery Tender and the guy said they do not have a compatible battery for my 2020 Speed Triple RS. I saw your post and your 18 and my 20 should be the same. Let me know your thoughts. thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    Measure your battery, and then find a lithium one with the same or smaller dimensions, and also match up the pos/neg terminal locations. Don't put a lithium battery on a regular battery tender, use a lithium (LiFePO4) specific tender.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    As @RSReggie says, it's not physically the same size (there's spacers in the box) but works brilliant.
    I did get an optimate lithium charger too for it but the change (for lightness alone) is worth it.
    Shido Lithium Motorcycle Battery - LTX14-BS LION

8. tomg

tomg Member

Jul 3, 2021
    USA
    Thanks for the replies. I was very surprised when the Battery Tender guy said "please do not buy one of our batteries for your Triumph. Our batteries have a battery management system and could cause problems with your new bike."
    I am interested in a lithium due to the weight savings. With the battery sitting right on top of the gas tank it puts the weight up very high. I think saving 5 lbs up that high on the bike will make a big difference. I will consider the Shido but I can't find a reseller for the USA. Any additional info is appreciated.

9. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Interesting about the manufacture not advocating the use of their batteries…

I have heard that Li batteries aren’t as good at handling trickle loads (alarms and trackers) and that if cold they might not have enough cranking amps and may impact ECU and displays.

That is all theoretical as in real life I’ve not heard reliable statements to back up the stories.

If the weather is really cold the tip is to turn the ignition on for 30 seconds and the power drawn to the lights etc will be sufficient to ‘wake up’ the battery for it to operate as normal when you press the starter button.

Could you find out exactly what the problem is on your bike?

How do Li batteries cope in EV cars?

10. tomg

tomg Member

Jul 3, 2021
    USA
    There is no problem with my bike. Just looking to possibly replace the heavy lead acid with the Li.

11. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Hi @tomg, I was referring to this post. It seems your local battery manufacturer doesn’t recommend their battery with your bike (not your’s specifically but the model - I assume…)!

If they could explain why (In technical terms, using long complicated references to electronics, suitably of their battery chemistry or anything else of relevance) then clever people on this forum could help advise.

I’m getting one soon for my Tiger 800.

My bikes top heavy - either I lose a few pounds or the bike does…

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. tomg

tomg Member

Jul 3, 2021
    USA
    No worries.
    Basically the Battery Tender guy said that their Li batteries have a battery management system that is very sensitive and could cause problems with my Triumph. He went on and on. I didn't think he would ever stop talking about how I could be stranded or have electronic problems. I told him about another S3 owner having a Battery Tender Li battery and was not having any problems but he continued the same story. "Don't buy our battery because it is not certified to work in your Triumph." So I am considering the Shido battery.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. passeparici

passeparici New Member

Aug 24, 2021
    Aix en Provence, France
    I thought the Speed Triple 1200 RS already had a lithium battery !?
    Edited : ok I just realised it was for a 2020 RS