Thruxton Looking For Compatible Showa Usd Forks For 1200r

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Dead.Dangerous, May 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dead.Dangerous

Dead.Dangerous New Member

May 7, 2019
    US Kansas
    #1 Dead.Dangerous, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Hi Folks,

I picked up a crash damaged 2017 Thruxton 1200R as a winter project here in the US and I'm looking for bike models (Triumph or Others) that use the same Showa USD forks? It isn't too common here and especially not for parts online, etc. My forks are bent/twisted and stuck in! so I can't get accurate measurements.

Would someone here tell me the Fork Length Overall, and the Tube Length and maybe how much of the piston length should be visible/Maximum travel? Just measured with a basic rule or tape measure, not when dismantled;-)

Thanks for your Help.
    James.

• Love You Love You x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    You’re asking a lot there James! Someone is going to have to dismantle their forks to provide this information unless they have had them apart for a spring change or other work and have by chance written down the dimensions (long shot!) so why not strip the ones you have? They are scrap by the sounds of your description so you aren’t really going to spoil anything are you?
    Hello, and welcome BTW :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Dead.Dangerous

May 7, 2019
    US Kansas
    Too bent to dismantle! Just basic outside measures with a tape measure will tell me if alternate forks are close dimensionally. Easy access, even if bent like a pretzel...

4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Fair doos James, good luck with it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dead.Dangerous

May 7, 2019
    US Kansas
    OK, I just need the length of the visible chrome slider with the fork fully extended. Can anyone measure this for me? Thanks.

6. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I’d guess that most of the Showa big piston forks are of a comparable length, it’s probably only the damping rates differ.
    You must know someone with a k8 onwards GSXR thou or zx10/6 to have a measure from.
    Hope you find a compatible set mate.

7. Dead.Dangerous

May 7, 2019
    US Kansas
    I have done that. I got the ZX-10 and GSXR 750 specs from a couple of dismantlers in US, The upper tubes are the same and I can reuse the caliper brackets, so only unknown before I pull the trigger on buying a set is the visible slider length. The springs I have will be reused and any other Thruxton 1200R specific parts if possible. I'll post a compatibility thread here once I've been and done the work.