Looked At A T100 Yesterday At The Dealership

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Photog_Steve, Jan 27, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Photog_Steve

Photog_Steve Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Massachusetts
    Looking to get back on a bike after 50 years, Last bike was a Triumph Trident 750, early seventies vintage. A bit apprehensive but am determined to go for it within a couple of months. Have probably watched 30 YouTube vids and it seems to be what I would like. Sitting on one felt a little unnatural and heavy after all these years but I would rather learn to ride this bike and not go with some very light starter bike. Plan on taking a refresher course however.

I did notice a lot of extras added to the stock price of the new bike...dealer prep, transportation fees, document fees. All that added another $1100 to the price. Is there any wiggle room on pricing at these dealers, like at a car dealership? Thanks for any input.... Steve

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    #2 Angus, Jan 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    Hi Steve,
    Welcome in! Shop around is my advice, the fees differ from dealer to dealer, some are negotiable whereas others will simply not budge. It really winds me up when they mask selling prices with ridiculously inflated fees. It’s the same with VAP’S (value added products) which they try and sell when you proceed with an offer to purchase, examples of these are but not limited to, tyre protection policies, paint protection etc. I’ve walked away many times and still got better deals every time. I’ve seen roadworthy and pre inspection charges differ by as much as 80%. Sure they incur costs when providing the service but don’t over charge the customer. Good luck and take that refresher course !

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. LeezRyd

LeezRyd Noble Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Left side of the pond
    Steve, try Marks Motorsports in Enfield CT, just south of Springfield, if you live near there. I got my T100 from them and am very pleased with it. I'm 73, and the bike is comfortable and not so insanely overpowered like some other machines that you'll be intimidated by it. My son and I venture out at least once a year for a long multi-state ride and the bike is truly enjoyable

Lee

DSCN0485.JPG

• Like Like x 14
  4. Photog_Steve

Jan 27, 2021
    Massachusetts
    Awesome, nothing like bonding with your son. I know where Enfield is. It is a bit of a hike for me but I may go there to check them out. Not many Triumph dealers located nearby. MOMS in Foxboro, Massachusetts is where I went . Huge dealer of many bikes of all sorts....Over a thousand bikes there!. 10,500 for bike, 1100 in dealer add-ons. I'll have to see if they can offer me a deal when I am ready. In meantime, may take a hike to Enfield. I'm in Mass but only about 10 minutes from Prov, RI.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. LeezRyd

LeezRyd Noble Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Left side of the pond
    Steve, before you drive all that way, check out Mark's website (marksmotorsports.biz) to see if they have something you'd be interested in. I did see a T100 on sale, the last time I looked (10 minutes ago). They also deal with Royal Enfield, and they have quite a few of those in stock. When you do get a bike, let me know and maybe we can get together for a "bimble", as the Brits would say

Lee

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Photog_Steve

Jan 27, 2021
    Massachusetts
    Hey thanks Lee. I'll go check it out after I log off here. My buddy lives in So. Windsor near Enfield, so maybe I can tie it in with a socially distanced visit...ugh. I would not mind making my purchase there but it's about an hour and a half drive/ride to get there, so it would not be very convenient for any factory service repairs. MOMS in Foxborough is only about a 30 minute ride. Royal Enfields are nice but I am set on a Bonny, T-100 Blue/White:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. LeezRyd

LeezRyd Noble Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Left side of the pond
    Steve, you'll not be disappointed in the T100, no matter what the color. As an aside, I live in the town next to your friend. Manchester

Lee

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Photog_Steve

Jan 27, 2021
    Massachusetts
    Hey Lee.... Small world indeed. Guess what? My buddy who lives in So. Windsor now actually grew up in Manchester. I used to visit him on "Bush Hill Road." We were both into British sports cars as well. We had TVR 2500M rides.:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Photog_Steve
    Welcome to the family. And do haggle till you get blue in the ears. And like i say all the time never be scared to walk away. At this time the dealers need you more than you need them.
    Joe.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Martine

Martine Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia
    Welcome and great choice on the bike. ;) I recently got a 2020 T100 in blue and white. Still in the break-in period since there's not been much good riding weather but I love it so far.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Great general ride Steve, I’m sure you will love it

• Like Like x 2
  12. David Reynolds

Jun 26, 2020
    Browns Valley CA
    I've had my T100 for about six months now and have no desire to ride anything else. $6000 for a 2017 with under 2K on the odometer, he shoots, he scores!

Look into getting the comfort seat which lives up to its name and is far better looking than stock IMO. It clips right on with no modifications. Also you can add one of those inexpensive little fairings which aren't bad looking to improve air flow a tiny bit, they do make a small difference.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Martine

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia
    Wow! That was a score! Way to go.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Photog_Steve

Jan 27, 2021
    Massachusetts
    Well, I waited for a snowstorm here to buy the Bonneville...Figured I would get the best deal that way..hahahahaha. As soon as the snow melts, they will deliver it and then I just have to wait for the Spring to ride it. Can't wait. Here she is with the "Sold" sign on it at the dealer showroom.

Bonnevville_SOLD.jpg

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Martine

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia
    Bee-U-tee-ful!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Hi, sounds like a great adventure. I did similar a couple of years ago. I picked up with a 2018 Street Twin on a pre-registered deal (25% off of the 'new' price) as they were bringing out the new update.

A local instructor offered a 'rusty rider' course for about £100. That was excellent, especially to practice a bit of slow speed control off road and awareness on the road.

• Like Like x 2
  17. LeezRyd

LeezRyd Noble Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Left side of the pond
    Good for you, sir. You'll enjoy it

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    nice bike you never forget how to ride

• Like Like x 1
  19. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Love the colour scheme :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    My advice would be don’t buy from a dealer, buy from a private seller, the first thing a dealer does is add at least 1k to whatever he paid for it, here’s an example, I bought a Ducati M1200 for £6600 from a private seller, he wanted £6900 but I made the offer and he accepted, 6 months later I sold it for £6950 on eBay, 2 months after that I saw it in a dealer showroom for £8500, it makes me smile when people say “I got a bargain” from a dealer, trust me, that has never happened:)
    I agree your doing the right thing going straight to the bike you want rather than getting a smaller bike first, you just need to regain your skills having already learned them years ago, and a modern triumph is a damn site easier to ride than a 1975 Trident, good luck in your search

edit; sorry hadn’t seen you’d already bought one!, anyway my opinion on buying still stands for others that haven’t purchased yet, nice looking bike, hope the snow melts real quick:)

• Like Like x 4