Featured Look what the postie left in my porch today

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by Bonzo, Mar 22, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    #1 Bonzo, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    [​IMG]

Not a great picture I'm afraid and certainly not doing it justice, but I am stunned by the quality of this 'jacket for life'. Some may question Belstaff's commitment to fashion over function, but the Pure Motorcycle department are still making proper biking kit.

I cant give a review yet as I aint rode in it, but I know a bit of quality when I see it and its ticking all the boxes. My first proper jacket I had in the Eighties was a Trialmaster, but this new version is a million miles away. That was more like a thick shirt by comparison.

Belts & buckles are definitely a faff compared to Velcro, making this a bit of a 'put on and ride for a long time' rather than nipping in & out of expensive coffee shops every 10 minutes and taking it on & off - so probably not entirely versatile (or maybe it will just take a bit of getting used to). And its no lightweight summer shell either, I reckon this will be an ace shitty weather jacket.

Miporex waterproof membrane lined (as well as the wax) and shoulder & elbow D30 armour (I had a spare back protector, so I'm sorted) and removal thermal gilet.

And then we come to the pricing. Check out Moto Legends Belstaff Trialmaster 2.0. Ouch! But as one of the guys said in his review. The first one he bought in the 60s cost him 5 weeks wages then, so £500 odd smackers aint that bad.

I don't think this would do as my only jacket, but I'm really chuffed with it.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    The bottom 2 buttons are rubberized to prevent tank rash (and invisible in that picture)

3. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Looks fantastic. Figwold wears one and it is the bees knees. I've got a fashion Barbour International, and a Furygan leather I'm seriously thinking of ebaying to put towards one of these.

4. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    Hi Bonzo,

......great looking jacket.......do they make any matching over trousers to go with it?......and they say...'long after the price is forgotten, the quality remains'....

......my first ever Belstaff suit was bought second hand back in the '70's......a tenner out of a local paper ad......it was old and very used when I got it but it was all I could afford in those days. Oh! the 'joys' of re-waxing it.....what a messy job.......

.....(talking of messy jobs, who else remembers taking the drive chain off and boiling it up in those big, flat tins of Duckams chain grease?........my mum went mad....it made the kitchen stink...and, if you spilt any onto the cooker it was there for weeks!....)

Sadly, late for work one morning, I forgot to take my over trousers off of the rack on the back of the bike.........when I came out from work at the end of the day you guessed it, somebody had nicked them off the rack........

.......well, you b'tard, who ever you are, even after rewaxing they fcuking leaked like a sieve......I hope your knees are full of arthritis now!.......lol......

Cheers,

dickydido

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    What about protection?
    Does it have any crash protection to back, elbows and shoulders?

6. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    Yes Scoot,

D30 in the elbows & shoulders. Pocket for the back.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bonzo

Bonzo Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2016
    IoM
    @dickydido

Hah yes I remember boiling the chain in a flat pan of black oil. What a fekin mess!

We don't know we're born these days do we? The kit available is incredible & efficient.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    That's good to know. Doesn't look bulky at all. Nice looking jacket!

9. Tricolore

Tricolore Active Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Midlands
    Belstaff stuff has gone up massively in the last few years. I had a Trialmaster, kept it 2 years and sold it for £50:00 less than I bought it for.

You wouldn't get that with a Fieldsheer jacket

• Like Like x 1
  10. RROB

RROB Active Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Worcestershire
    "Belstaff" clothing

great jackets you must wear at least once while biking.... I guess the more "mature" lads on here will have owned one once or twice ... .

I had a hand me down one in the 70s when all you could smell in the air was "Castrol R" two stroke oil !

• Like Like x 2
  11. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I had belstaff jacket and trousers back in the day, whenever it rained and I got off my bike to deliver a package I could always find my way back cos of the oil slick I left behind!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    No but it does have a condom in the inside pocket, should you crash at a birds flat. lol
    (Sorry Scoot just read this and couldn't resist)

• Like Like x 4
  13. Scoot65

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Good one! lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. John Will

John Will Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Bury St Edmunds.
    What about trying decoking two stoke silencers in the oven.

• Like Like x 1
  15. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Yes I remember doing my chains in the hot tin of grease, messy job but you did feel that it thoroughly lubricated it.
    I also remember sitting in the bath like a pillock in my new shrink to fit Levi's jeans.
    The good old days eh!

• Like Like x 4
  16. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I had one 20 years ago technically excellent jacket.

17. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    Hi MickEng,

......blimey Mick.....there's another 'right of passage' memory pulled out of the distant past!......sat in the bath.....water all blue as were my legs!.....and the sides of the bath......which I had to scrub clean afterwards.....dad coming in to look and laugh at me!.......I remember I had to sell my Action Man and all his kit to the local junk shop to help raise the £8 that they cost me back then.....heady days!

Cheers,

dickydido

• Like Like x 2
  18. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Rites of passage? In 1972 Belstaff were to bikers' gear what Ford's Model T was to drivers - you could have any colour you liked as long as it was black. Being a trendy lad (as I thought), I was delighted when Belstaff suddenly brought out a suit in bright red. I bought one for my return to uni....... Hertfordshire to Dundee on a 250 Yamaha.
    When I got there I was black. Waxed cotton? Leave it for hipsters.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    My first Belstaff Jacket and Trousers had elbow & knee patches non of this new fangled protection stuff :) and if I remember right it got more waterproof the older and more oily it got ( except around the crotch area where it always leaked like a sieve ) and no inner thermal liner.

Always used newspaper or a magazine down the front as insulation.

Anyone remember the leather soled boots, with the zip up the back, that always seemed to slide away as you put the foot down and with the steel kickplate in front of the heel.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Leaky crotch? Oh yeah! At least now I KNOW it's incontinence.....

• Funny Funny x 3
  21. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Southend Police used to use them on their Triumph Saints, I got a pair given to me as'part worn exchange' from a mate in the job, could hardly stand up in them in the wet, and kept slipping off the kick start pedal on my '54 Thunderbird!
    Got a proper cobbler, remember them? (Eames, Canvey Island) to put rubber soles on them, they were a lot safer then.

• Funny Funny x 1