London Ulez (8th April 19) Does It Affect You?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Red Thunder, Mar 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    The London Ultra Low Emission Zone or ULEZ comes into affect soon on the 8th April
    Sharing the same area as the congestion charge

Use this link to check your bike or other vehicle to see if you need to pay the charges on top of the Congestion charge

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/vrm-checker-ulez

This is a daily charge of £12.50 per day every day 24/7 without exception
    If you are driving at 23:59 and still on the road at 00:01 you will need to pay twice

This is to 'help' reduce pollution in the city.
    The small side benefit of bringing in significant revenue to the coffers and force people to upgrade to newer vehicles this boosting the manufacturing industry, just not necessarily in our country

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yup! My car is out, pre- 2007, luckily my bikes are still ok. I think there’s is concession for historic vehicles. Seemingly london taxis are exempt but emergency vehicles aren’t,ie fire service. If you think your vehicle does conform but comes up negative due to year of manufacture you can get a letter from the manufacturer stating it meets the emissions required. Going to cause chaos for small businesses. Can’t wait til it extends to nth and Sth circular

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Vehicle operators with a large fleet will usually have one or two vehicles that comply, they send those into the ULEZ. Curiously the 03 reg car I used to own is shown as exempt!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Mickstriple675

Mickstriple675 New Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Essex uk
    yes it has got me as I ride to London every day on my 1200s bandit so that is why I am on here ,got myself a speed triple 675

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. newT120

newT120 Active Member

Apr 1, 2016
    London
    At the moment our two cars and one bike are exempt, but as they get older presumably they'll fall into the taxable bracket. I live just outside the NCR and when the ULEZ is extended at least you will still be able to drive on it and the SCR without having to pay (at present...).

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    If it is within the emissions but outside the age criteria you might be able to get an exemption by getting proof from the manufacturer. That’s if you can be bothered!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    VT and CX500 used to be my favourite bikes when i used to be a London courier.
    These days the nearest i get to London is to the in laws at Walton upon Thames. My view is it's just a tax on top of a tax upon tax. Not say the emission charge is a bad thing by why a congestion charge as well? I visit France a lot to see family, and i pay a one off fee that lasts as long as the vehicle complies to their emissions. By bike is even cheaper. This is for most major towns and IRC cost about £6.60 per vehicle.
    I feel for people living within London that are on low income and can't afford newer vehicles will be hit the hardest. I bet you anything the income from the London charges goes no way near fixing potholes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. In my own world

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    VT and CX500 used to be my favourite bikes when i used to be a London courier.
    These days the nearest i get to London is to the in laws at Walton upon Thames. My view is it's just a tax on top of a tax upon tax. Not say the emission charge is a bad thing by why a congestion charge as well? I visit France a lot to see family, and i pay a one off fee that lasts as long as the vehicle complies to their emissions. By bike is even cheaper. This is for most major towns and IRC cost about £6.60 per vehicle.
    I feel for people living within London that are on low income and can't afford newer vehicles will be hit the hardest. I bet you anything the income from the London charges goes no way near fixing potholes. No one is going to pay the charges just for a cuppa at the Bike Hut. More revenue loss for businesses in London.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. In my own world

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    Off subject so sorry. The CX was so comfortable. I even road from the City to Glasgow without any sore patches on my butalks. But that was when a fiver filled a tank.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Ah not all couriers are sensible DD, when I worked for Interlink Courier I rode a Z1000ST and another lad rode a CBX1000 6 pot jobby, we were more about the speed than the £'s :D, the guys who actually earned a living at it were on Jawa & CZ 2 strokes back then, you could basically keep them going with gaffer tape and a Swiss army knife apparently!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I think its great. Look at London die. These idiots have done more damage in a few weeks than Hitler did all through the war. Stores and shops are selling up like wildfire and all the snobs are buying property out side the city. But what concerns me is where will they stop.
    Ride Free
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
  14. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    This is now in effect, make sure you pay any and all due fees or its a £180 penalty
    Or just start out of London: unamused:

15. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I guess places like the 'Ace Cafe' will only cater to 'pedestrians' & 'Mamils' soon eh !!

16. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    It's all bollocks and massive piss take I.M.O. stealth tax on top of road fund licence we all pay, just another load of crap we all put up with,!!! Air quality - global warming - health of the young pedestrians bollocks, bollocks and more BOLLOCKS.,
    COMING TO US ALL NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE OR WHAT YOU DRIVE - COS YOU'LL PAY NO MATTER WHAT ROUTE YOU TAKE INTO CITY CENTRE EVEN BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT !!
    FOOK - EM

• Agree Agree x 7
  17. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I can't help but wonder just who in the h*ll thought this up? And I would like to know just how much this will cost these rocket scientists to enforce it! Geez, and I thought our tobacco tax was something. Don't you just love a politician?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    #18 Biker Jock, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Interesting article here showing that car manufacturers are still setting their cars up to pass the laboratory emission tests, but failing in the real world. The correspondent gets his car (an old banger with 160k miles) and his father's old (2009) diesel tested, and the results are interesting. In many respects, the old cars do better than current models.

So I agree that this is once again a poorly thought out crock of shit by the political class and cheating by manufacturers. We definitely need cleaner air, but if we're paying for it and not going to get it, it's crap. I don't drive in London, and if I never go there again, it'll be too soon (I'm not a city person).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/how_toxic_is_your_car_exhaust

As a slight aside, the article mentions his father getting irate on ferries because folks start their engines long before the doors open to get off. I noticed that going to IoM Classic TT. Took 10 years off my life, hundreds of revving bike engines long before time to move. AAAAARRRRGGG!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Agree Jock but this load of bollocks is this is being rolled out to more and more places - manchester- leeds- newcastle and to all other councils that jump on the money bandwagon

• Agree Agree x 4