Locks and chains

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by topbanana0, Jan 29, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    been thinking of beefing up my security, what have you got. Please rate them.
    Was thinking of Abloy PL362, which is apparently unpick-able... But who picks a lock.
    I watched a video on YouTube, where someone cut through it with a bolt cutters in seconds.
    So don't see the point in a £150 lock, just coz its unpick-able....but not strong.
    I personly think a number of locks is best, to slow down a thief and inconvenience them, they will then go for an easier target.

2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    There is some great info on another post 'Security' in the general discussion topic forum.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

So this guy puts some Gallium on the Abus lock and cos its a certain alloy 4 hours later the lock has disintegrated.

• Like Like x 2
  4. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    I've got several Abloy 362's. It is not just that they are unpickable.
    They have a closed shackle which makes it harder to get a battery grinder (the scrote's tool of choice) in to cut the shackle.
    The shackle is made of "Boron" which is very hard and wears the grinder blade very quickly.
    The body of the lock is massive and hardened.
    The lock innards can not be drilled out.
    You say they cost £150, I picked mine up on eBay for £48 and £60!
    Combine the lock with an Almax or Pragmasis 19 or 22mm chain and it is pretty impregnable. Make sure it is used with a ground anchor and supplement with a HD disc lock through the rear sprocket. Job done!
    If you've got a £10k bike, you should spend around 5-10% of value to keep it yours ............... I lost a 3 month old Street Triple to scrote's.... never again

• Like Like x 3
  5. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    That it is because the body was made from alloy not hardened steel

6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    I have an Abloy for my ground anchor and I love it

• Like Like x 1
  7. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I use a disk lock with an audible alarm. If someone has enough time, any disk lock or chain can be cut. My theory is that if my bike is screaming at them they will leave it alone.

I have an Oxford XA10 disc lock.

upload_2018-8-16_17-33-2.png

• Like Like x 2
  8. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    In theory they are great, but....... wrap a cloth around them and the cant be heard!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I understand, but not sure I agree that a cloth or other sound barrier results in 'zero' noise. Any noise is better than no noise.

If a criminal really wants a bike that bad they will find a way around any device. What one is trying to do is maximize the deterrence level and make it as complicated as possible. In other words, one additional issue the criminal needs to deal with.

Ask yourself this. If 2 similar bikes were parked near one another, and one had an alarm and the other no alarm, which bike would you attempt to mess with?

Just my 2 cents. I sleep better with the alarm!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Saw a video on youtube, scumbag scrotes put a wet cloth around a alarmed disc lock, and believe you could not hear it!
    TBH most disc locks are made of "Chinese Cheese Metal" and are easily circumvented anyway!

From experience, I would put my faith in a Almax or Pragmasis chain and a big F*CK OFF Abloy lock.
    Here in the centre of London, alarms are always going off...... nobody takes any notice. I agree with you make it as difficult as possible, but with strong physical deterrents ;)

11. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    I use my Abloy closed shackle padlock as a disc lock on my Thruxton R. That ain't coming off in a hurry. However if there a three scrotes, they could just pick it up & put it in a van :confused:

IMG_0680.JPG

12. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    You need to supplement that Abloy with a HD ground anchor and chain, that will stop the sh1tb@g scrotes lifting it:p

13. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Never heard of a mobile ground anchor, will it fit in my pocket? :Do_O:yum

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    As previously discussed if they really want it they'll do anything. This is something I attach every time I park bike up whilst out on a ride. Agree with your point re disc. Open to suggestions as to an alternative site on the motorcycle. Whilst park ed at home they'll need to get past the aggressive guard dog first :blush:

IMG_0681.JPG

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love You Love You x 2
  15. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    They'd be licked to death :p

• Funny Funny x 2