Locking Fuel Cap Refusing To Lock.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Neale McConnell, Aug 26, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Neale McConnell

Neale McConnell New Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Suffolk UK
    Anyone had trouble with their locking fuel cap. Both keys fit my 2018 T100 cap but they will not lock it. Any ideas other than getting a new one or leaving it unlocked?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Neale McConnell
    Have you tried soaking the key with wd40 and leaving for a while. Other thing is to check its the same key to lock and the cap isn't one someone fitted and lost the key. But they are cheap enough to replace.
    Regards
    Joe.

3. Neale McConnell

Aug 26, 2020
    Suffolk UK
    Thanks Joe I'll give that a try.

• Like Like x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes mate let it soak. Then fill the keyhole and gently wiggle the key a few times repeating the keyhole and wd. Wish you luck.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Count your blessings.
    I had a series of Guzzi Californias.... all had the endearing habit of the key to the petrol cap key jamming in the lock when filling up with petrol.
    You'd be surprised how difficult that made things....the key also worked the ignition...so I couldn't close the tank or start the bike.
    Embarrassing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Neale McConnell

Aug 26, 2020
    Suffolk UK
    Hi folks Thanks for the advise and the welcome. After soaking overnight in WD40 the key is now turning freely and the cap is locking.

• Like Like x 6