Lockdown Restriction Changes

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Notso, May 11, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    So getting a clear idea of what we can do on bikes is not always clear. There are some related points in other threads, but thought it would be helpful to have a thread purely on what we can do on bikes and where.

In England on Wednesday it will be possible to go out locally on your bike according to Bennets Insurance;
    https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesoci...i-ride-motorcycle-during-coronavirus-pandemic

"Can I ride my motorcycle during the Coronavirus pandemic?
    Scotland and Wales have not changed their advice to ‘Stay Home’, but residents of England are being told to ‘Stay Alert’ and from Wednesday 13 May, they can:

• Sit in the sun at their local park
    • Drive to other destinations
    • Play sports with members of their own household
    • Meet other people if they maintain social distancing of 2m and use common sense

While we’re waiting for clarity from the government’s Department for Health and Social Care, there’s no obvious reason from 13 May not to ride to a location to relax, though we’d urge ALL riders to consider these important points:

• The pandemic is NOT over – the lives of our families and friends are still in the balance
    • Maintain social distancing of two metres at all times
    • Check your bike over carefully when it’s been unused for a while
    • Do you have an MoT? The six month extension only applies to bikes that were due an MoT AFTER 30 March.

• Do NOT ride in large groups
    • Do NOT ride to tourist destinations – stay reasonably local to your home
    • You are an ambassador for motorcycling – ride with care and consideration
    • Be respectful of all other road users
    • Do not ride across the Scottish and Welsh borders unless necessary until those countries change their rules
    ..."

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I taxed My Bonneville that has been laid up since last November no problems. Maybe as it is booked in for service and mot later this week makes a difference but like I say I taxed it online and no questions. I will still go for a spin later in the week after service. Don't really see a problem as I will be on my own and meandering through the countryside.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 6
  3. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    I'm with Joe. Unless there is a specific instruction relating to motorcycle travel, i.e. you can't do it unless you are travelling to/from work then I'm going out later this week, on my own and only stopping for fuel and perhaps at a view point away from others. If you can now go to a golf club I don't see why you can't go for a motorcycle ride. I'm not going to take the piss and go for a long ride, so staying local and hopefully blowing away a few cobwebs, but not speeding of course! ;)

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    I definitely intend to go out from Wed. Won't be riding like a twat as the freshly released car drivers are likely to be a bigger threat than normal, and won't be going anywhere that others congregate, but I will be out :)

DS

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  5. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    How I understand it, you can now drive as far as you want in order to take exercise so I can ride to Whitby/Scarborough, take a nice walk on the beach and have fish and chips. It's a bit cold right now but warming up at the week end so I might just get off to the seaside. :D:D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Might accidentally bump into you at Squires if you're going that way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  7. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    If you can go fishing play golf buy paint drive to a beauty spot you can ride your bike simples

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #8 Wire-Wheels, May 12, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
    Here in the western US, they are not very specific. "Stay At Home" is the official word, but at the same time they are opening up businesses, parks and beaches. I got the America out this morning for the first time since this all started. Got some fuel, went to mail some bills, then "got lost" on the way home for a while. All the while wearing my mask and gloves, mind you. Felt great ! ...J.D.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Captain Klang

Captain Klang Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Yorkshire
    As explained on various news(opinion) outlets this week since Monday, you can go where you want in England as long as you can keep 2m from anyone outside your household and can get home in the same day. I will be giving the bike a gentle run later this week having given it a mini service (oil, filters, coolant and brake fluid). I will be avoiding the usual biker haunts and beauty spots and if I stop it will only be for fuel and a coffee at a petrol station.

• Like Like x 3
  10. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    What they actually say in the legal bit is you can go where you want in England as long as it's to go somewhere for exercise or leisure.
    But it doesn't clarify if leisure is the driving/riding bit or it has to be wherever you're going to.
    I know how I'd interpret it :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Captain Klang

Captain Klang Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2019
    Yorkshire
    What they did say was exercise or sunbathing, sitting in a park as long as you socially distance. Mental exercise is every bit as important as physical. I know you wouldn’t want to go for a run wearing your leathers, but just getting out to look at something other than your own four walls or a computer screen is good for your health.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Well, I'm certainly going out on mine. Can't bloody wait!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #13 Wire-Wheels, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Rear deck-2018.jpg Earlier in the month we made the trip from our main residence to our vacation home. I think we will repeat that trip again soon. Both places are pretty isolated. We have neighbors at both sites, but they are not close by. We usually go in to town when we are there to the little cafe, but that is out. I hope thier business survives. My wife and I are blessed. We are retired, and live on a pension. As long as the economy does not completely die, we can survive. As long as we can get supplies. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 9
  14. Maniot64

Maniot64 Member

May 6, 2020
    Greece
    #14 Maniot64, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Here in Greece the lockdown has eased a little. We no longer have to carry a written permission about where we are going. Still prohibited from leaving the 'county' in which you live though until May 18th..... gives enough freedom of movement for a ride out though ! Enjoy! :cool:

PS......the motto 'Stay at Home' changed on the day relaxations started to one of 'Stay Safe'......which I prefer to 'Stay Alert' which is a little ambiguous IMO.....anyway, i've never liked being a 'lert' so certainly don't want to stay one! :p

• Like Like x 5
  15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Been out on my bikes over the past two days. Today there were loads of bikes out and about....

• Like Like x 3
  16. Avinarant

Avinarant Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2017
    Leeds
    Blah de blah!

96688092_10218793283396511_638640651704991744_n.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. Baldrick174

Baldrick174 Active Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Boscastle, Cornwall
    Riding IS driving according to the Law so you can do the same as car drivers on your motorcycle :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Tim L

Tim L Active Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Norn Iron
    I haven't actually stopped riding like most, as I am still working (car deliveries, part-time) and doing a few deliveries for a local charity. What I have noticed is that the roads have been quiet and peaceful, but are getting busier. Today's rush hour in Belfast was almost like a Sunday morning

19. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    • Like Like x 3
  20. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    • Like Like x 1