Lockdown For Us In The Netherlands Again

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BonnieCat, Dec 18, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands is going back into lockdown from Sunday morning in an effort to buy time to head off the impact of the Omicron version of coronavirus. The lockdown, involving the closure of schools and higher education, all non-essential shops, schools and colleges, and cultural institutions, will come into effect from 5am on Sunday morning. The aim, health minister Hugo de Jonge said, is to win time to give as many people as possible time to get a booster injection and to find out how sick people can become with the Omicron variant so hospitals can prepare. Prime minister Mark Rutte said the new lockdown is unavoidable given the wave of infections which will hit the Netherlands in the coming weeks. ‘We have to take measures now as a precaution,’ he said. ‘We have to keep ahead of the wave that is coming our way’. The new rules include an ‘urgent recommendation’ that households welcome no more than two guests over the age of 13 within a 24 hour period, apart from on the three days of the Christmas holiday and on New Year’s day. Schools, colleges and universities, and after school clubs, will all close immediately, and should prepare for remote learning in the first week after the holidays officially end. All indoor sports will also stop. Outdoor sports can continue up to 5pm, while professional sports matches will continue, without spectators. Jaap van Dissel, chairman of the government’s Outbreak Management Team, said he expected the Omicron variant to spread quickly throughout Netherlands and to account for the majority of infections at some point between Christmas and New Year. Omicron, he said, is more resistant to the immunity which previous infections and vaccinations provide that the previous variants. It is too different from the variant of coronavirus the vaccine was developed for, he said. ‘I hope everyone will make use of the booster,’ he stressed. ‘As a country we are best protected if as many people as possible get a booster vaccination.’ Travel Health minister Hugo de Jonge said that at the moment, people can continue to go on holiday. ‘But keep to the rules of the country where you are going, including those of the Netherlands,’ he said. ‘You may have to deal with extra rules in that country or when you come back to the Netherlands.’ The Netherlands is currently involved in talks on tightening up requirements for people from outside the Schengen area, he said. That many include compulsory quarantine for everyone returning to the Netherlands from a non-EU country who has not been fully vaccinated. Those talks will take place on Tuesday and Wednesday next week. The measures will run until January 14 at least, but will be reviewed before that date.

Read more at DutchNews.nl:

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    I don't think we in the UK will be far behind you @BonnieCat but the buffoon in charge will probably wait until after Christmas when thousands of people have travelled all over the country carrying it with them. :( Hope lockdown isn't too bad for you :)

• Agree Agree x 10
  3. Daveweld

Daveweld Active Member

Aug 2, 2020
    UK
    My good thoughts are with all of you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    I’m supposed to start my new job on the 10th January which is before the lockdown ends. So god knows if I’ll be able to start then or not.
    Oh well not much I can do. I’ve got my Xmas food already so I don’t need to go out for a wee while yet.
    I think Boris will need to do a lockdown as the numbers there are getting rather scary.
    Stay safe you guys and gals.

• Like Like x 10
  5. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    We are all in this shit together. Stay safe all.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  6. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

After tomorrow's headlines Boris might be looking for another job. so lockdown might not happen here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  7. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    That ship has sailed dude...

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Not going to happen quickly enough. The Tory big guns circling him will wait a while for their moment I suspect. It's not like they'll put the country and its needs first or anything. That leaves us stuck in the circus, drifting along effectively ungoverned, for some time to come. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    The Boris debacle (seriously, how can anyone not have seen it coming from day one?) will rumble on for a while. Reaction to the virus will be swifter.

10. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Best wishes - at least as you say you've got your Christmas food and I hope that the new job's not disrupted too much.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Rock and a hard place. Lockdown and people will go ape, don’t lockdown and people go ape….
    It is an impossible situation no matter who is in government.

• Agree Agree x 12
  12. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Sorry but I’m getting more sceptical by the week now it’s just very suspicious,the leash was just starting to get loose and now the new strain has put it all back,what was the point of double jabbing if then you are told to isolate as you are not much better off than non jabbed,yes I’ve had my 2 jabs and still had to isolate as my wife and son got omicron but I didn’t despite testing every day and I’m same house ODD,the only advantage I can see is you don’t get unwell enough to need hospital treatment,you can still pass it on and get it BUT if the symptoms are less severe WHY the massive panic,it’s as if those in power want you to be terrified and under control we can’t go on every time another variant comes along just SHUTTING the country down.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I agree that we cannot keep locking down every time a new variant comes along, however until there is more information available on omicron it is prudent to proceed with caution. For me it is unlikely that there will be any extension of rules until after Christmas, as the Government will not want to cancel it again. It is likely that things will change in the New Year, how severe is the question.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DCS900

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    #14 DCS900, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    It’s too global to be any surreptitious Government control. Israel has just shut down travel to America… they wouldn’t do that unless they really felt they had to!
    The frustration and paranoia is palpable, but I honestly think governments are just trying to do their best in their given circumstances… and any advice/restriction given or enforced is purely mitigation measures.

https://www.reuters.com/world/israe...icron-concerns-official-statement-2021-12-20/

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Part of the point of vaccination programmes is to minimise or eliminate the societal effects and spread of a particular diease, not necessarily to simply try to eliminate or eradicate the disease.

I'm old enough to remember as a child commonly seeing the effects of poliomyelitis and tubercolosis. Most on here are probably young enough to realise that these once common IN THIS COUNTRY diseases are, to all practical intents and purposes, eradicated or managed.

If you'd been living in the 1940's or 1950's you would probably have encountered many, many people who objected to the vaccination programmes that have virtually removed these (and other) diseases from almost all major, developed countries.

I think the idea is to shut down the disease, not the country.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Ooh, hang on ,you're saved! Late safety car..........

I'll get my coat :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    It worked so well the first time...

• Like Like x 1
  18. DCS900

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    Did the actions mitigate or aggravate? Did they change things at all? What condition would the world be in if no countries had taken any actions… better, worse or the same? And what consistent metrics should be used to measure this simplistic statement…

• Like Like x 3
  19. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    …is social media demonstrating confirmation bias rather well.

• Like Like x 1