Lockdown Fever Antidotes

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Smilinjack, Jan 11, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

#1 Smilinjack, Jan 11, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2021
    There's clearly a bit of cabin fever for us all, it's fair to say. I've been watching Youtube far more than is healthy, although seen some great stuff-some of these wartime recollections from old servicemen is very humbling. LFL American Football was an eye opener though :eek:. Bizarre at the very least. And of course, being stuck in all day so often leads to an expedition onto Amazon. So, I've bought an Airfix plastic model kit of a Spitfire. Built tons of these as a kid, and here I am again. What are others doing to overcome these long days and the feeling that your life is spiralling down the toilet? :)

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/supermarine-spitfire-mkia-starter-set-1-72.html

• Like Like x 3
  2. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I found myself looking for more LEGO Technics motorcycles to build the other day. I only found one - a Harley. As if life wasn't cruel enough already.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    I’ve built a trainset in between the times I’m supposed to be working:kissing:

My daughters love it - not:confounded:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

I started watching Youtube videos about the guns you see in cowboy films, and war films.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    Funny, I was looking on their site before Christmas too for the same reason.

I was thinking of getting the kit for the King Tiger tank that I always wanted as a kid but never got.

So are you going wheels up or wheels down?

My own ways of killing time when the garage is too cold are:
    Duolingo - improving my French for when I can go over to Belgium to watch the racing again
    &
    Learning to play the piano - which being old and deaf is unlikely to lead to an exciting new career and lots of groupies, but is keeping me busy as I've never learnt to read music before and have no ability at any other instrument!

DS

• Like Like x 5
  6. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

By default I'm a wheels up kinda guy, but this model may finish up on the office window ledge so the decision is made for me. I don't think they come with that little clear plastic stand any more but hopefully I may be wrong. I'd like to do the warships again but not really got space.
    Got my Golden Owl in Spanish on Duolingo last year, but have let it slide somewhat. Could be a good time for a reboot. :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Always play guitar more this time of year anyway, but really spending a lot of my time at it currently! Not supposed to be out with the camera either in this stricter lockdown so lots of guitaring... and even a picture of said guitar :cool:
    DSCF5078-2.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  8. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    The airfix model sounds cool. I made loads when I was young... then I got a bb gun, and I shot them all to bits :worried:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Unfortuntely, eating and drinking, to excess

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Nice flame...

I should be playing more guitar but finding the impetus difficult... I am, however, slowly exploring the vast world of home recording!

• Like Like x 4
  11. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Last year I've put my hands in 3D printer world.
    I've now passed the step to a small CNC machine for engraving, and laser.
    The objective is to get enough knowledge to build from scratch (and from chinese parts :) ) a bigger CNC, able to carve a guitar body or a guitar neck for example.

• Like Like x 4
  12. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

I used to be a CNC programmer in another life. Have you seen this chain drive mill? Jump to 12:30 for the routing and carving... pretty good for a cheap set up,

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    I help you with home recording, you help me with cnc :) That's a good deal?

14. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    No CNC machines or musical instruments for me. Have decided to do the NC 500 in September so learning to speak Scottish and practicing my introduction speech for when we get to Scotland, in case Nicola is manning the border by then. Watching a lot of Jimmy Krankie videos and just aboot got the hang of it noo .:p

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

#15 DCS222, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2021
    I’ll do what I can, but things have moved on a pace since I left engineering (1996)... I was mainly programming Laser profile cutters with a couple of lathes and mills... not these multi-axis modern devices! Our set-up was so old even then... we had Olivetti M40 (edit - trying to find the model number, not convinced on m40) computers that were programmed in “Basic”... the machine code was punched out in one inch ticker-tape and the tape was taken to the shop floor and fed into the CNC machine! Class

• Like Like x 4
  16. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

This is the bugger, the L1 m40... twin 8” floppy disk drive too!

upload_2021-1-12_8-30-21.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  17. Hubaxe

Mar 25, 2020
    I was joking. I've an heavy programmer background. Started to work on IBM 36 machines, where floppy disc had the size of an LP vinyl. :laughing:
    I don't program anymore for a living, but can nail the logic.
    It's now fun to dig in open source material on the web.
    CNC has grbl open source that works well enough for an hobbyist like me.
    Made some arduino stuff, like a smart xlr/jack cable tester.
    We are living in a very exiting period for tech hobbyist. Lots of open source stuff available, very affordable gears and parts.

• Like Like x 2
  18. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Very interesting! I program and operate wood cutting cnc machines as my day job :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Interesting stuff. Got some clever buggers on here, evidently. But @DCS222 8" floppy drives :scream: do you need many discs? Are they still available? :)

20. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    It's sort of like a large airfix kit except you start with a complete bike and disassemble in lockdown....:D

Got the tricky bit next, putting it all back together :rolleyes:

20200925_140413.jpg

20201202_125233.jpg

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2