Loan Bikes

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Eastbournemark, Apr 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Eastbournemark

Eastbournemark Proud Snowflake

Jun 17, 2017
    Eastbourne
    What loans bikes have folk been offered? I’ve been given this Bobber Black for a couple of days whilst the T120 is tinkered with at the dealers. Not bad but not my cup of tea.

939BD6EC-8D0F-4C4B-A1CE-D34341FC8E22.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Tiger Sport 1050
    Bonneville T100
    Bonneville T120
    Street Triple 765 r :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    That’s a cool loaner, I do all my own servicing so I’ve never entered the world of main dealer loan bikes etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Eastbournemark

Jun 17, 2017
    Eastbourne
    T
    That’s quite a range of bikes. It strikes me being able to try out a different model works for both the dealer and the rider as it’s likely to plant a seed that can lead to a potential sale. It also acts as some compensation when paying ££££ for an oil change! Although this time my T120 is in on a recall.

5. Eastbournemark

Jun 17, 2017
    Eastbourne
    I bet you were quite a catch back in the day. That bike would certainly tickle a few boxes....

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yes, I like the idea of being able to try different bikes. I could have waited for the Tiger to be MOT'd but opted to borrow a bike for the morning!
    They usually offer the Tiger Sport, so now I've taken to getting there first thing asking for something different, which is how I got the T120. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Had a few over the years. One brings back horrible memories.

Reluctantly, as every other loaner was out, I was given a new trophy for a 2 day loan. ( 12,000 mile service where they need a cold engine for the valve clearance check ). The trophy was a new model back then, the flagship bike.

Rode it away no problem. It's a big old beast but okay on the move and I quite enjoyed the ride. I hadn't reckoned on the return journey in Friday night commute traffic out of Birmingham to wolverhampton. It was dark, nose to tail stop/start traffic for most of the journey. Foot up, foot down, foot up, foot down for most of the 15 miles back to the shop. This was hard work. I definitely wasn't enjoying it now. Then it started snowing, oh joy. Now I had a wet and misted visor and visibility was an issue too.

I will always remember that journey as my worst bike ride ever, period.

Sorry for the ramble...

• Like Like x 5
  8. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Best. Brand new (only a couple of hundred miles) 765R when my T100 had it's year 1 service. Terrified the life out of me once I plucked up the courage to give it some on an overtake. Settled into it quickly enough and really enjoyed my three hours or so with it but was glad to get back on a comfy bike that is less likely to chew up my licence and spit it down a drain for 12 months.

Worst. Honda Vision 50. My GS500E was in for a service back in the mid-90's and as I was only going on to work a mile or so to the other side of town (Staines) they gave me their Vision demonstrator. Got as far as the end of the road when a pillock moved over in to my lane to avoid an approaching ambulance without looking. Wrote the Vision off and scuffed the hell out of my jacket. Found out the shop were shafted by their insurance company a few weeks later so I didn't ever dare go back...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    I had an 1199 Panigale , 765RS 1050 S3R all from Woods in Abergele
    The Pani was quite exciting ! Got to high speed on the A55 VERY quickly !

• Like Like x 1
  10. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Had a friend who ordered a gpz600, one of the first ones in the country, can’t remember how long the wait was, anyway just before it arrived he lost his licence, I went with him to pick it up and he loaned it to me for 6 months. To get it run in of course!

• Like Like x 2
  11. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Had a friend who ordered a gpz600, one of the first ones in the country, can’t remember how long the wait was, anyway just before it arrived he lost his licence, I went with him to pick it up and he loaned it to me for 6 months. To get it run in of course!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I have had all sorts as loan bikes over the years, including a brand new Ducati S4 Monster belonging to Three Cross quite a few years back, long story short, landed a wheelie badly on a particularly shit bit of the A354, got a massive tank slapper and binned it, wrote it off, that went down well ... not!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Eastbournemark

Jun 17, 2017
    Eastbourne
    Giving you a moped - they deserved what they got!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Eastbournemark

Jun 17, 2017
    Eastbourne
    That’s some exotica you’ve been lent over the years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Yes you cant beat Woods !

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Thruxton R
    Street Twin
    Tiger 800

• Like Like x 1
  17. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    trophy-7.jpg

This is the beastie of which I mentioned earlier in this thread.
    Came back to it, the thread, cos I remembered my best loaner. A Honda vfr 750. Last of the 750's before big H went over to the 800.
    What a cracking machine. Glorious engine tone from that v4. Dealer wasn't very happy when I returned the bike later in the day. I had a sortie into Wales on it. Just couldn't resist.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    f6c3d95eba7f35740335307ac5e2ab985e0da3db4ec323d5cb6c5a715dfbbade.jpg
    I was given this Street Twin when I took my T120 in for repair under the warranty.
    I am hoping to get mine back tomorrow after 3 weeks!
    I have to admit the Street Twin is a very good bike. Superb handling and very nippy. It was a pleasure to ride and I will be sorry to hand it back.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Eastbournemark

Jun 17, 2017
    Eastbourne
    Hi. Do you prefer the Street Twin to your T120 then?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    That is a good question and one that I have asked myself.
    There is no doubt that the Street Twin handles far better than the T120, is lighter and overall far easier to ride (for me) because it is slightly lower.
    However..............it lacks the looks of my Bonnie and I can notice the difference in power.
    Would I swap the Bonnie for it?
    NO.
    Would I buy one?
    YES.............WOULDN'T HESITATE!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1