Light Switch...

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by manbitescat, Nov 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. manbitescat

manbitescat Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2018
    Southend on Sea
    is stupid. Unless anyone can convince me otherwise. When the lights are off, they're on and when they're on they're off. I keep hitting the flasher and knocking them from dipped to full beam...it's stupid...

2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Whaaaaaaaaatttttttt?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    New bike? When did it start ? Age of bike? More details?

4. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Wearing boxing gloves?

5. manbitescat

Sep 13, 2018
    Southend on Sea
    Soz...2017 Speed R - nothing wrong with the bike, it's the design. When the switch is in the off position, a green telltale is illuminated 'cos the LED's are lit. If you want ride with dipped beam, you effectively move the switch to the off position and the telltale goes out

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Yorkshireman

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I’m proper confused now, cos on bikes built after 2003 the lights are permanently on, there isn’t an “off” position?

7. manbitescat

Sep 13, 2018
    Southend on Sea
    Soz no, it's the rocker layout on 2017 Speed, same on the 765 Street I think. Anyway it's a stupid design.
    2 way rocker in the off position illuminates telltale on the dash showing the LED's are lit. The flasher flashes full beam.
    2 way rocker in the on position, puts the lights on dipped beam but telltale on the dash goes off...WTF? The flasher now switches between dipped and full beam, and is easily knocked from one to t'other...particularly if you're wearing boxing gloves...
    It's stupid...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

It’s the same on NUDGER (2018 Speedmaster) and I agree it’s not very well thought out :(

9. manbitescat

Sep 13, 2018
    Southend on Sea
    Other than that, I'm seriously pleased I replaced my Street 675 with this bike, love it, just love it...

IMG_1005-Edit.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. Sideburn

Sideburn Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Maybe it’s me but this makes sense. When in daylight, the indicator shows DRLs are lit. If you were to throw the switch it is presumably when the ambient light is reduced. Soooo, the actual lights being on are your indicator and when it is really dark you don’t have the damn indicator beaming in your eyeballs at night.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. manbitescat

Sep 13, 2018
    Southend on Sea
    Meh...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I obviously have the same twisted logic as Triumph :D, I've converted my 2015 94R to round LED headlights (see avatar), to enable running the DRL's only I had to add a (illuminated) switch to cut power to the dip beam. My logic was that when it's dark and on dip beam I don't want bright distractions on the dash, in daylight the switch is illuminated confirming the halo's are on and dip beam off.
    (But then I'm known to be stupid :))
    IMAG1083.jpg

13. manbitescat

Sep 13, 2018
    Southend on Sea
    I'm just confused...

14. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:confused: Yes......but with lights on at night you can’t just flash someone like you can with DRLs on :(
    You have to do it twice to switch main beam on and off again :(
    No biggy.......but........:confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. manbitescat

Sep 13, 2018
    Southend on Sea
    Call me radical but here's an idea...what about a THREE way rocker switch?...wait for it...and a flasher...?

• Like Like x 2
  16. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Electronics engineers trying to be too clever for their own good I'm afraid, a new box of toys (CAN bus) to play with.
    Think yourself lucky, I had a 2013 Multistrada, hazards were activated by holding left indicator for 3 seconds (no separate switch), trouble was there was a bug in the software that didn't reset the time counter to zero after LH indicates. End result was that after about 15 LH turns the hazards would come on instead of a left, took Ducati about 18 months to admit there was a fault and correct the code. :rolleyes:
    (Obviously Italians don't use indicators so test riders never spotted the fault)

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:) Now that makes sense :cool:

18. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    I just ignore the LEDs and use the traditional dip/main options. I like the toggle dip/main beam as well, rather than a two position switch. Just my two pennorth.