Lifting A Bike

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Flashp, May 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #1 Flashp, May 6, 2018
    Last edited: May 6, 2018
    Is it OK to lift under the sump on a T100 Bonneville with a large flat platform such as this:
    [​IMG]
    It looks like it should be OK but would rather confirm it before I potentially buy the wrong tool for the job! It'll be for maintenance and cleaning, nothing too involved.

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    ‘It looks like it should be ok’......

In fact the header pipes are slightly lower than the frame rails so you need a couple of thin strips of wood to take the weight on the frame rather than the exhaust system. I cut a big ‘U’ out of thick marine ply as my frame shim.

The slight problem with your platform is access to sump plugs, filters etc., and it is not the best for stability with a small base and no tie down points. I use this type very successfully and you will find them on eBay etc., priced from £60 to £130 for essentially the same thing.... throw in lightweight ratchet straps at £10 and you can wheel and manoeuvre the bike around a concrete floor like it is on a dolly.

F68756F5-9767-462B-8204-35BCDBB65C8D.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    I have a skid plate on my T100 and with that the jack like you show works fine. I have one myself and is quite handy. With the skid plate installed no clearance issues with the header pipes or anything else.

4. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I take it that's the Triumph accessory sump guard?

5. DesertRat

DesertRat Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Yuscon, AZ USA
    I think it's a third party but same design.