Lifter Tick???

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by 45-70 govt, May 21, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 45-70 govt

45-70 govt New Member

May 21, 2018
    ABQ NM
    Hi all, first post here so looking forward to reading all the info on here about our great bikes!

Would like to pick your brain if I may. I have a 2016 Thruxton 900 with 3,200 miles on it, and for the last week or so when it is cold I hear a tick sound for the first 10-15 seconds after start up. The best way to describe it is like a lifter tick in a car. I have an oil pressure gauge on it and its shows good oil pressure the second it starts.

Is this a common Triumph thing, or something I should worry about? Thanks for any input you can provide!!

2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    I would say lifter tick is normal on start up from start cold but get your dealers opinion if not sure.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    That kind of sound used to be associated with hydraulic lifters and in particular one which hasn’t held its pressure since the engine was last started so gives a bit more clearance, hence the ticking sound for a few seconds til it fills with oil. Don’t think those engines have that type of lifter so I’d ask at the dealer, it shouldn’t be noisy after only 3200 miles. Perhaps video the cold start to catch the sound, you won’t be able to replicate the issue if you ride it to the dealer.
    Welcome along, good form on your first post BTW. So many just wade in with a question with no introduction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 45-70 govt

45-70 govt New Member

May 21, 2018
    ABQ NM
    Thanks for the replies! I will try to get a video and see what you all think. I hate taking it in if I dont have to.