Legend Tt 900 1997 Fuel Leaking

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Ashley, Aug 1, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    I'm no mechanic and don't know an awful lot about the bikes other than taking them out for a ride however my bike is leaking fuel from a black box at the side of my carbs which is also linked.
    As I've not yet passed my test I'm not in a position to take it for a ride so I've just been ticking it over every so often.

The last couple of times I've had my bike out I switch on the fuel tap, choke which has normally needed to be on and turning the ignition. For some reason I've switched off the engine and fuel has leaked. Today it sounded as if it's miss firing every so often and when revving it it's as if there was nothing there. Switch the engine off and again fuel leaking.

Can anybody help please :)

20170801_140717.jpg

2. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    #2 bogg, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Is your fuel tap on prime? If so that will do it, if not sticky float..just zoomed in on the picture looks like after market tap so no prime.so sticky float try running red x through it

3. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    I'm not too sure to be honest. I will check. I only knew on off and res. Am I best getting a genuine tap and replacing the one currently on?
    I will look at getting the red x thank you

4. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    Tap should be fine. Try draining float bowls as well. Get a Haynes manual, that will help with all sorts of things.

5. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    Yes I will do that. I looked for one earlier but only found version for 1998 and above. I will contact Haynes tomorrow. Thanks again Bogg

6. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    Halfords are worth a look

20170801_185147.jpg

7. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    Brill, got the code from your picture and found one on eBay :) hopefully draining the float bowls won't be a big challenging task and hopefully cure the problem.

8. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    Draining the float bowls will help to get some of the crud out, with red x in the fuel as your running the bike try tapping the float bowls lightly with a screw driver handle that may release the float

9. dirty big hands

dirty big hands Active Member

Aug 4, 2017
    sussex
    I had this exact same issue with my 98tbs. I have very limited knowledge of mechanics, especially carbs, but I was told that what was happening was that, when on the side stand, the fuel would drain into the left hand carb and cause the right hand one to "open"(?) Meaning fuel would run continuously and flood out from the left hand carb through the air box.
    This is my understanding anyway.
    The solution was to turn the fuel off and let the bike run for around 30 seconds to let the fuel levels in the carbs drop a bit before switching the ignition off.
    This has worked for me.

10. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    Thank You:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    #11 Havit, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    When you say black box, i take it you mean the air box. If thats the case then you may be in trouble.
    Its caused by sticky floats or as Dirty big Hands said Side stand ,.If its sticky floats It might free itself or you may have to strip the carbs. Now the worst thing about this happening is the petrol could have got into the Engine and watered down your oil. See if you can smell petrol when you open the oil filler?. If you can, then its an oil change as well.

TOP TIP
    Always turn off your fuel just before you get home to empty your bowls.

12. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    Thank You:)
    Thank you. Never knew to switch fuel off before turning engine off

13. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    Yes I would say it was the airbox. Let's hope the carbs don't need dropping down then. It certainly won't be a job for me. I will check the oil this weekend and if it needs an oil change at least it's no big job. Thanks again guys.

14. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Just to let you know Ashley my Thunderbird done the very same thing once and has never done it again. I had spripped the bike as part of a rebuild including Carbs. I think what had happened was the carbs were dry for a while and when they filled with petrol one was a bit sticky or because they were on a side stand as Dirty big Hands mentioned. The point i'm making is it may never happen again. Don't spend money on something that might be a one off. Just take the precautions we mentioned.

Just make sure the oil don't have petrol mixed with it. Its like watering down your bikes blood.

Best of luck .;)

15. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    Ah I see. So even though one dried out it soon got the fuel moving about to loosen the float.
    So on my initial post I mentioned when the engine was on tick over it sounded as if it was miss firing. Also when giving it some revs it was as if there were nothing there. Could both of them be caused by the float and fuel issues.

I'm not in a position to take the bike out for a spin. Garage only insurance and unfortunately not having my full licence yet but I obviously want the bike ticking over every so often so can you advise me what's the best here?

16. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    If the bike has been sitting around for a while it can cause that issue

17. Tal

Tal Active Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Milton Keynes
    • Like Like x 1
  18. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Standard legend tap. They did not have vacuum tap. Always turn off when not riding.

Check your oil. If it had the slightest smell of fuel change it straight away.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    Thank you for your reply.

Yes it does make sense. I've recently bought a paddock stand so all being well once I've followed the things everyone has said then I won't have a reoccurring problem.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Aug 1, 2017
    West Yorkshire
    It does smell of fuel. I will do an oil change this week. Just drop the oil and change the oil and oil filter? Or is there anything else needed to do? The fuel could have mixed into the oil months ago when it happened the first time.