Legend 900tt Poor Cold Starting

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Spotty Col, May 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Spotty Col

Spotty Col Member

May 16, 2020
    Retford
    Hello, I bought this 1999 bike with 7200 miles on it last year, it had dealer 1 month warranty so I did some miles before winter and all seemed ok. As it was winter I couldn't help stripping off the panels and going deeper as I found it was difficult to start when cold, she turns over fine but getting the sweet spot on the choke position was a game, it turns over, catches then instantly fails, touch the throttle and it dies instantly. The only way I win is if I keep turning over, it catches then fails, then try again and it catches longer each time, after about 10 goeas getting longer each time an ease of the throttle gets it and you can get the revs up, it sounds like its on 2 then 3, as soon as it warms (within seconds) its running ok and will tick over, granted with a bit of choke until proper warm, ride and pulls no problem. Leave it for hours and it takes a couple of goes to start, leave it for days and its back to the beginning.
    It had been stood for years before I got it, hence the low miles so; I pulled the carbs and cleaned them, checked all jets etc, idle jets were 3.5 turns or so, checking forums it appeared 2 was stock so that's what I put them to. New plugs,new air filter as it fell apart (pipercross) found the coolant to be Tomato soup so flushed it all out and re-filled with Putolene. Put her all back together (what a pig they carbs are) and it is now starting exactly the same as before!
    Haven't balanced the carbs (I have been contemplating cost of having them set by someone with buying gauges) but I did sync them.
    All valid ideas gratefully received

2. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    Sounds like you have aftermarket exhaust or a leak.
    Cos 3.5 turns out suggests you need to go up a jet size. I think.

3. Spotty Col

Spotty Col Member

May 16, 2020
    Retford
    Thanks for the response, no aftermarket exhaust, its all stock. Interesting you say leak, I thought I could hear a 'fluff' at the carbs but difficult to say. I have the tank jacked up, I have checked all rubbers and clips and all appear in place, I checked the rubbers before I fitted them.
    Why would an air leak let it run warm but not cold?

4. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    Changes the mix.

5. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I have two of these old 900's. Same issue with them both. I am thinking of increasing the size of the pilot jets, but I have not done it yet. ...J.D.

6. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Hi, Col. Possible cheap solution is putting a dose of fuel system cleaner (e.g. Redex) in the tank to clear out any crud that may be hidden in the deepest, darkest, furthest reaches of the carbs. Modern petrol can - and does - play havoc with carbs. I always put a drop of Redex in my petrol nowadays.
    Possible (more) expensive solution is to have the valve shim clearances checked. Had mine done on my Trident 900 (basically the same engine as yours) and it started up immediately thereafter from both hot and cold. It had never been a bad starter but when the shims had been done (48,000 miles) the improvement was noticeable.
    Other possible solutions may follow.

7. Spotty Col

Spotty Col Member

May 16, 2020
    Retford
    Hi, thanks to Sprinters nudge I checked out testing for air leaks on youtube, couldn't be simpler, get her idling and spray the test area with either jump start or propane gas from the blow torch, any leak will allow additional fuel in and the engine revs. To my amazement LH carb to head rubber which is easiest to view and sat prefect was the worst culprit, all caused the engine to rev up with just a short burst. Set of new seals and clips are £26 from Sprint manufacturing on Fleabay so no buggering about, replace.
    I will of course advise on progress as it occurs.
    I have to say the dealer said they would want to go through it proper as it had been stood for years, utter bolox, I found all grease nipples dry, the coolant needed swapping, the air filter was rotten. As usual, new oil and filter (if I am lucky, haven't checked yet) new plugs and rubber stamp the book. I was surprised they had done the middle plug, same old same old.

• Like Like x 5
  8. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The inlet rubber's / manifolds would be cracked and leaking at that age ! My 2009 America is coming up due as its 11 yrs young his year ! I had to replace the Right hand inlet rubber (air filter to Injector body) as I could see it was more than cracked enough to leak ! Instant improvement in general all round running & performance !!!!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Spotty: Looks like you found your problem, or at least one of them. I have '00 Legend. You will find it a really nice machine. Love mine. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Spotty Col

Spotty Col Member

May 16, 2020
    Retford
    Whats the opinion on carb balancing, if you have set all up stock does it run pretty good until vac gauges finish it off, anyone seen astonishing results?
    Anyone set it up with 2 gauge set?

11. Andy Sochanik

Andy Sochanik New Member

Aug 2, 2020
    Bath
    Just to add my tuppenceworth. I have a '00 Legend (from new) and she has always been a bad starter from cold in the winter. Same exactly as you report, sit on starter button for ages, then one cylinder starts chipping in, followed by a second, followed by the third - it then starts turning over faster & faster & eventually takes over. Same thing with the choke - there is a sweet spot, up to full choke & back a bit. In the summer, she starts easily with one prod of the starter. I'm at 30,000 miles now and its still the same.

Having read your second post, I'm going to try the butane test over the inlet rubbers (as soon as I find my torch - I'm in the process of moving & everything is packed away). Sounds a great idea as she is 20yrs old now, except she's done it from new....

• Like Like x 1
  12. Spotty Col

Spotty Col Member

May 16, 2020
    Retford
    Hi, owned from new! Respect.
    My mate sold his as he is ill again and its just too big for him now, it sold in a day at full asking.
    So interested in your response, i was convinced the issue is now electrical as i got a two carb balancer (piece of piss to do, centre and right, then swap left to right and back, what a difference) but it is a lot better, but not 100% i pulled out on the road too soo after starting, opened her up, she died and dipped then lifted her skirt and went mad.
    I still might swap lh and Rh plug, then lead then coil. Check the plug colours then shut up and ride.
    My buddy is off road at the minute, Honda Adventurer 12k and his 4th gear gone, 5 weeks waiting for parts and £1400 bill after arguing, he listed an issue on service 1 +2 now they say driver error. I have not ever found a good honest main dealer. My new Peugeot car is serviced by the garage i know.

13. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    #13 stevethegoolie, Aug 18, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    My bike did the same after a winter layoff. Nearly dropped it when it stuttered as I was turning right onto a main road:eek:. Quick trip to Halfords and part of a bottle of Redex later and it cleared itself out and was no further trouble - after a few miles obviously!:) Carb'd Triumphs seem to like a drop of fuel system cleaner in their tanks.:cool:

Edit:- I seem to have repeated myself. Sorry!

P.S. I was in Retford yesterday - just sayin'.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    • Like Like x 1