Left Rear Indicator Triggers Both Sides To Flash, Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Alibob, Sep 14, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Alibob

Alibob New Member

Nov 2, 2021
    South West
    Hello, got a weird problem – had some old indicators on the back of my bike and I noticed that when indicating left, the rear right indicator was also flashing.
    I had some new ones to fit anyway, so took the old ones off, checked all the wiring and used new connectors while installing the new ones, couldn't find any wiring problems. But it's still doing it.
    I'm not sure how it could be doing it, but then I don't know much about the electronics. Hopefully someone might have an idea what to check? It's only the rear indicators – if I indicate left then the front indicator behaves fine. Also work fine as running lights and brakes. Seems like a weird one to me. Thanks for any advice.

Uploaded a video of it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/trrpb8a5jocuth2/IMG_1581.mov?dl=0

2. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Sounds like earth fault on rear indicator harness.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    I'm with @stollydriver on this one earthing problem, great shout by him me thinks

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Alibob

Alibob New Member

Nov 2, 2021
    South West
    Thanks, I'll have to trace it back and replace that earth cable.

5. John Fulmer

John Fulmer New Member

Sep 15, 2022
    Bellefonte, Pa.
    I have the same type of problem except all the indicators flash together. Is this the same solution? It's a 2002 Thunderbird.

6. Alibob

Alibob New Member

Nov 2, 2021
    South West
    did you get it fixed? My rear lights all flash fine after replacing the earth wire and connecting all up again.

7. Alibob

Alibob New Member

Nov 2, 2021
    South West
    Hello, just coming back to this problem I've got to see if you have any suggestions. I replaced the earth wire from the rear harness to the lights and made sure all connections were good. I thought it was working ok but now it's not again! I trickle charged the battery overnight because the bike hasn't been used for a while and noticed after that when I put on the left indicator it's triggering both of them again. The lights are all-in-ones and the right indicator, brake and running lights are working fine.

I've tried connecting a few different lights and they all do the same so it's defintely nothing to do with the lights themselves.

I tried connecting the lights directly to the rear light harness connector and it does the same so it's not a wire issue with the harness.

If I disconnect the running light then the issuer stops and both indicators work fine which makes no sense to me either! Any thoughts? @stollydriver @TEZ_217