Led Headlight Units For Street Twin/cup

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Chay delargy, Mar 20, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chay delargy

Chay delargy Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2021
    norwich
    Hey everyone, hope your all doing well.

Just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with changing there headlight units to led on their triumphs?

There are so many on the market with conflcting reviews.
    I know there are the really expensive ones, but was more wondering about the £100+ range ones.

Also are there any recommendations for led bulbs as well?

Be super helpful to know!

Thanks.

2. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    IMO LED bulbs are OK if you have reasonable room in the shell otherwise you're likely to run into overheating problem leading to failure, I was in a similar position wanting to upgrade the poor Bates 5 3/4" light on my Trident custom so went for a cheap eBay LED unit that has the sealed unit with a nice big alloy case to dissipate the heat...so much brighter, and I will see if the longevity is OK or not with time, not that I do much nighttime riding.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chay delargy

Feb 8, 2021
    norwich
    Do you know what brand yours is? I also don't do alot of night time riding.

The led bulbs I've looked at have built in fans etc so shouldn't be a issue as far as I'm aware.

4. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I went for a Chinese unbranded item as it was just an experiment to see if it would work as an H4 in a tiny shell wouldn't have lasted fans are OK, but you need a source of cool air so volume or vented as recycling the same air is just going to get hotter.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chay delargy

Feb 8, 2021
    norwich
    Thanks for the Information. I'm tempted to try this one from amazon, but still on the fence at the moment.

Screenshot_20210320-154914_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Hiya, I bought these wisamics (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G972T2M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_1EFZQSHXNTY0M0XWVE3D?psc=1) for my 2002 Speed Triple - in blue as that's the best colour :p - and i am very happy with them.

I do not have massively high standards. But on the whole they are great. I have the 'halo' ones. I found them easy to fit, and although a slight squeeze they fitted in the original housing ok. The connections were easy and morealess plug'n play.

I have run them (on the side light) which is the outer halo only and are excellent daytime running lights and perfectly good headlights in urban areas. I can only imagine what the dipped headlight will be like...and goodness only knows what full beam will do!

I have had no issues with heat.

I didn't realise, they are sold as singles, not doubles...bear that in mind if you have twin headlights!

There was an issue elsewhere.on the forum about the MOT compliance for LED upgrades. My understanding from that thread is that these are all ok - but always keep originals anyway.

So...if a thumbs up from an eager, non technical, keen but not overly zealous biker is useful...then I recommend the wisamics.

Ride safe.

IMG_20210320_171808.jpg

IMG_20210320_171732.jpg

IMG_20210320_171734.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Chay delargy

Feb 8, 2021
    norwich

Cheers mate! Thats really helpful.

Mine is just a single so that's handy, Nd was planning to keep the original just in case.

I might take the leap and give it a go, worst case scenario is to return them as its pretty easy with amazon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I put a H4 LED bulb in the OEM housing of the Street Scrambler and I'm well pleased with the result. Around £20 from Amazon IIRC.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chay delargy

Feb 8, 2021
    norwich
    I've ordered a led unit on amazon. Not getting my hopes up but will be interesting to see if it actually fits properly as their is very little information when installing on a street cup/twin.

Will keep ya updated when I get it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chay delargy

Feb 8, 2021
    norwich

Well as I expected. It didn't fit lol.

The lights state 7inch but they come just a tad smaller than that meaning the outer housing ring on the street cup does not hold the led light in place.

It's a easy fix if I wanted to use it, I could get some rubber tubing and run it around the ring and that will secure everything.

I don't think I would of used this particular led headlight even if it did fit, as I plugged it in to see how the light looks, the beam pattern is a complete mess and doubt it would pass a MOT.

So for now it's back to standard and will probably opt for a led bulb when the bulb needs replacing.

11. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The H4 LED bulb I fitted to the Street Scrambler did need a couple of mods to the housing. There's a reflector which sits in front of the OEM filament bulb which needed removing, as the LED is longer, but it is held in by 2 screws so that was easy. The base of the new bulb was also very slightly oversize despite being the standard H4 fitting so I used a small grinding wheel on a modelling drill to open up the housing a tad and all was fine. Replacing the OEM filament bulb would be 5 mins work in needed. For the price I'm very pleased with the result. The difference is night and day:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Triumphal385

Triumphal385 Active Member

Mar 23, 2020
    South East
    Be aware.

DVSA have just accepted that bikes are not subject to EU retrofit requirements, until Jan 2022.

Expect them to make conversions, once again, an MoT failure from 1/1/2022.

Not because the law, RVLR 1989 requires, but because a Civil Servant feels like over-riding Parliament and the Sovereign, abusing the limited authority they wield.

DVSA is morrally corrupt. It is the way.

13. RostyWalker

RostyWalker New Member

Jun 21, 2022
    USA
    #13 RostyWalker, Jun 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    My friend's got a triumph, while I've got a car. I remember how we decided to find some LED for our vehicles. As far as I remember, he found it just by googling the led headlight for triumph street twin, and that was how he picked it. I chose https://www.vont.com/product/vont-car-smart-strip-light/ for my car. I love how it changes to the beat. Tbh, I took a ride on his motorcycle, so now I want to have a triumph. Could you give me a piece of advice on what to start with?

14. BC-Support

BC-Support New Member

Jun 17, 2022
    Gardena, CA